Gallatin vs Canton McKinley Ohio opening game 2010

GWAVE1

Stadiums don't win the games, the teams that play in them do. McKinley's record the past few years is not stellar. They are supposed to have a good team this year but..... so is Gallatin. I like the chances.

I guess the question is "do you have to be a great team in Tennessee to compete with a good team in Ohio". I have no clue. I'm from Tennessee so go Green Wave.

Stadiums don't win the games, the teams that play in them do. McKinley's record the past few years is not stellar. They are supposed to have a good team this year but..... so is Gallatin. I like the chances.

Well, this stadium will. Don't get me wrong, I hope Gallatin goes up there and knocks them off. I just don't think they will. This is one pick I won't mind being wrong about. I've just seen a lot of high school football all over the country and Ohio is top-notch.

I guess the question is "do you have to be a great team in Tennessee to compete with a good team in Ohio". I have no clue. I'm from Tennessee so go Green Wave.

It's not that. Last year MUS could've beaten all the good teams up there. The only teams that would've challenged MUS would've been Mooney, Davidson, or Elder. The Riverdale team that went up there years ago would've only been beaten by one Ohio team that year...Colerain. So, to answer your question, yes, our top teams can beat there "good" teams and can challenge their "great" teams. It's just that Tennessee might have 2-3 great teams a year, while Ohio is going to have 9-10 great teams each year. That's the difference.

It's not that. Last year MUS could've beaten all the good teams up there. The only teams that would've challenged MUS would've been Mooney, Davidson, or Elder. The Riverdale team that went up there years ago would've only been beaten by one Ohio team that year...Colerain. So, to answer your question, yes, our top teams can beat there "good" teams and can challenge their "great" teams. It's just that Tennessee might have 2-3 great teams a year, while Ohio is going to have 9-10 great teams each year. That's the difference.

Do THEY ever travel outside of Ohio to play? Or do they make everyone come to them?

I honestly do not know as I do not follow Ohio football.

BTW I would say a game with Colerain and Riverdale in 2005 would have been even money in a neutral site. That team was a machine and it was only a fluke that they did not repeat as state champions in 2005. The 2004 team would have beat Colerain like a red headed step child.

Do THEY ever travel outside of Ohio to play? Or do they make everyone come to them?

BTW I would say a game with Colerain and Riverdale in 2005 would have been even money in a neutral site. That team was a machine and it was only a fluke that they did not repeat as state champions in 2005. The 2004 team would have beat Colerain like a red headed step child.

No, they never travel outside of the comforts of their own confines. Ohioans always use the excuse that their powers-to-be won't let them travel. They need to get together and get it changed!! I will give Ohio credit for getting the national scene going by starting up the Herstreit Series. That is what really got the national traveling buzz going. I would agree with you on 2005 Riverdale/Colerain game, but you are waaaay off on the 2004 game. Riverdale was darn good that year, but Colerian was the probably the best team in the country that year. I would've predicted a close game, but a win for Colerain.

Reguardless who would have won I would have loved to have watched the game as my son was a starter on the line for R'dale BOTH those years. :D

Ohio really DOES need to make the games home and home and actually honor those commitments, or folks need to ignore them. I know if I had known then what I know now I would have NOT been in favor of R'dale going up there to play Worthington-Kilbourne. dry.gif

Dang... Alot of Gallatin bashing since I got on last.... I mean I know we aren't a powerhouse as of late, but being in 5A will likely put us back on that level. The winner of the Gallatin/Beech game(s) will probably decide the state championship again this year. Plus, if this actually is Lassiter's last year I expect this team to be a bit different than his past squads. We've got the fastest backfield I've ever seen at Gallatin, the largest lines since the Calvin Short era, and experience to boot. The most important thing we will have this year though, imo, is a fast defense. One thing we were lacking last year was versitile linebackers. From what I've seen, we will have that this year. I do worry about the kicking situation though, albeit I shouldn't. I honestly can't remember the last year where Gallatin didn't have a ridiculous kicking/punting game. They always seem to come out of the woodwork just at the right time. And just in case we don't have a natural punter like Kenyan or Link, we can always raid the soccer team and find an Ingham, Nolan, Swann, etc... I wasn't sure how we'd fare but with the way things are looking, McKinnley better be either pretty good or have the most intimidating stadium in the world.... Gallatin's gonna be tough this year.

ps. Gwave, that soph rb was..... well..... Ronez Harris had over 1000 yards rushing his soph year. If that #7 kid gets as many carries as Harris got, I wouldn't be surprised to see him double that.

No, they never travel outside of the comforts of their own confines. Ohioans always use the excuse that their powers-to-be won't let them travel. They need to get together and get it changed!! I will give Ohio credit for getting the national scene going by starting up the Herstreit Series. That is what really got the national traveling buzz going. I would agree with you on 2005 Riverdale/Colerain game, but you are waaaay off on the 2004 game. Riverdale was darn good that year, but Colerian was the probably the best team in the country that year. I would've predicted a close game, but a win for Colerain.

Not true.......Some do travel........St. X. went to INDY. and played Central a few years ago and Mooney went to Burns NC and smashed them a few years back. So a few do travel. Not a lot but they do.

LOD your point is valid......I'd like to see them travel a bit more too.

Dang... Alot of Gallatin bashing since I got on last.... I mean I know we aren't a powerhouse as of late, but being in 5A will likely put us back on that level. The winner of the Gallatin/Beech game(s) will probably decide the state championship again this year. Plus, if this actually is Lassiter's last year I expect this team to be a bit different than his past squads. We've got the fastest backfield I've ever seen at Gallatin, the largest lines since the Calvin Short era, and experience to boot. The most important thing we will have this year though, imo, is a fast defense. One thing we were lacking last year was versitile linebackers. From what I've seen, we will have that this year. I do worry about the kicking situation though, albeit I shouldn't. I honestly can't remember the last year where Gallatin didn't have a ridiculous kicking/punting game. They always seem to come out of the woodwork just at the right time. And just in case we don't have a natural punter like Kenyan or Link, we can always raid the soccer team and find an Ingham, Nolan, Swann, etc... I wasn't sure how we'd fare but with the way things are looking, McKinnley better be either pretty good or have the most intimidating stadium in the world.... Gallatin's gonna be tough this year.

ps. Gwave, that soph rb was..... well..... Ronez Harris had over 1000 yards rushing his soph year. If that #7 kid gets as many carries as Harris got, I wouldn't be surprised to see him double that.

The kid's name escapes me but he could be a phenom, if he keeps his head on straight. I have been monitoring the Ohio site(yappi sports) and Canton McKinley is supposed to have a really good squad this year. Right now they are in some sort of mini-camp. On a side note Jeremy McMurry had probably around 1400+ his soph year. Not sure about the amount of carries he will get because Box is a beast. Both will be lighting it up this year. On a side note mark July 15 and 16. That is the date of Vandy's 7 on 7 passing camp. Finding some more options at receiver will be huge, but there are plenty to choose from.

Not true.......Some do travel........St. X. went to INDY. and played Central a few years ago and Mooney went to Burns NC and smashed them a few years back. So a few do travel. Not a lot but they do.

I believe you have Mooney confused with someone else. They have not played a Burns High School in NC (I think you may have meant Byrnes in SC, but they haven't played Byrnes either. Byrnes (SC) is 2-0 all-time against Ohio, beating Moeller in 2006 and Centerville in 2007).

LOD your point is valid......I'd like to see them travel a bit more too.

Actually, I think Ohio has a travel limit(mileage.) I think it is 300 miles? Correct me if I'm wrong Ohio guys. I might be thinking of Indiana? I know Mooney didn't travel to NC. I would remember that if they did, and they sure as heck wouldn't have played Burns(?). I think RRR is right, you are thinking of Duncan,SC Byrnes, and they came to Ohio and played Moeller and Centerville. They beat Centerville three years ago 38-31 and Moeller 21-20 four years ago. Mooney beat Gateway,PA 27-6 three years ago.