Gallatin vs Canton McKinley Ohio opening game 2010

GWAVE1

#7 from Gallatin is Darrian Banks

a great kid and a hardworker

"Great kid" and "hard worker" are 4 words that make me very happy. Until now, the 4 words I would use to describe him (since I don't know the young man) are "insanely fast" and "crazy agile"... But it's great to know that he's got a good head on his shoulders.

So Gallatin had like 10 kids combine at the Nike camp back in March. The only other 2 teams that I saw that had 10+ kids in attendance were Fulton and Pearl-Cohn. Box and Banks both ranked relatively high on the overall scoring. Here's the most fantastic thing I've seen in a while though... Tre Haynes was the 5th highest ranked OL (keep in mind these rankings are based on 40 time, shuttle, vertical, and ball throwing)... He was the HIGHEST ranked player over 300 lbs at the entire camp. BTW, look out for Station Camp this year. They've got a 6'2'', 200+ pound RB that had a faster 40 time than Box or Banks...

So Gallatin had like 10 kids combine at the Nike camp back in March. The only other 2 teams that I saw that had 10+ kids in attendance were Fulton and Pearl-Cohn. Box and Banks both ranked relatively high on the overall scoring. Here's the most fantastic thing I've seen in a while though... Tre Haynes was the 5th highest ranked OL (keep in mind these rankings are based on 40 time, shuttle, vertical, and ball throwing)... He was the HIGHEST ranked player over 300 lbs at the entire camp. BTW, look out for Station Camp this year. They've got a 6'2'', 200+ pound RB that had a faster 40 time than Box or Banks...

Wow, where did you get that information from? You have been holding out on me. :roflol:

Stats on some of the returning McKinley players.

Kyle Ohradzansky- QB- 93 of 201 for 1466 yards with 20tds and 11 ints

Farrakhan 132 att for 784 yards and 7 tds 10 rec for 95 yards 1td

Beach 9 att for 117 yards 1 td

Holloway 17 att for 103 yards 3 tds

Ogletree 14 rec for 261 yards and 4 tds

Montgomery 7 rec for 120 yards 1 td

Steve Miller DE was the 4th leading tackler at 6'-4" 235 lbs

Good Luck to Gallatin! :huh:

I just hope they can repeat what R'dale did to "Worthington-Kilburn" and that if this is a return game series that the Ohio team does indeed come down for the return game.

The one thing Gallatin must do this winter is hit the weights HARD! When we went up there the line was HUGE, they were not as strong as we were. The reason for that was R'dales strength and conditioning program.

Also expect ALOT of trash talking from the fans up there as they consider Tn football a joke. R'dale converted some, but there is still alot that think our game was:

A. A fluke!

B. Worthington-Kilburn was NOT representative of 'OHIO' football.

C. etc, etc.......

After R'dale went to Ohio and showed them some here can indeed play football, they suddenly decided they could not come down to Tn for the return game.

Gallatin, know there will be a BUNCH of folks back home pulling for you in this game! Also know there are some on here that will be saying you don't stand a chance because Ohio football is so much superior because they are from there. To these folks I still say BRING IT, then sing it! Also be aware there will suddenly be folks down here filming your practices, but don't expect to receive any from up there. Best advice I can give about this is talk nice to 'warhawks' as he is GOOD R'dale folks who is now living up there in enemy territory!

There is a site about Ohio football that is much like CoachT called Yappi Sports or something like that. I lost it when I lost my last hard drive.

Anyway Good Luck and let us know if we can help.

I hear you loud and clear LOD. I remember when Riverdale played in Ohio and I was behind ya'll the whole way. This game was a one and done from the start. There has been talk of this game being a Herbstreet game but I haven't heard anything definite yet.

I really hope Warhawks and Bulldog86, who was from Ohio, can give any incite that they can when this game gets closer.

Gallatin should definitely have the size to matchup with them and I know the strength and conditioning program has been in full swing. I am hoping that our trumph card will be Gallatin's speed this year. The Wave should have several speedsters across the field this year. Gallatin returns a ton of experience which should also help.

Hey GWAVE1 would be glad to help out however I can! Just let me know what you need and would be glad to find out whatever I can. What is the date of your game and time! I would love to make the trip up to watch you guys play! I live in Dublin just on the NW side of Columbus! Its a little over 2 hours from my place and would like to be there to support The Green Wave! :huh:

I agree that Kilbourn was not that good in 2005 when R'dale went there to play them and it was 2006 that Kilbourn did not honor their commitment to come here and play us. I will also agree that Ohio has some good teams. Most of which are PRIVATES that offer scholarships for really good players. Thing is they win THERE with 'home cooking' as they seem to not want to travel like the out of state teams that play them.

Main thing is while there are some good Ohio teams, there is NOTHING there to be scared of for Tn schools. Once you get by the hype, here and there teams can only have eleven on the field at any time.

BTW I have seen some of those 'streaming' games. While good they are NOT the best I have ever seen on a high school field. Hoover in Ala, a couple of schools in Fla and California come to mind and a BUNCH from Texas. :huh:

Apologize up front for the novel, as I have been away from the site for awhile. I stand corrected on the number of Titles out of Kilbourne's region the last decade....forgot about Upper Arlington in '00. So not a bad decade for the region when you take into account the previous 3 decades. But by no means on par with regions 1,2 and 4.

In reality, many more Ohio powers travel far more often to bordering states and play the best from Pa, Indiana, WV and Kentucky every year than TN schools do. I'm sure your just not aware of it, but you and I are both aware that very few schools in TN play out of state powers. If it were'nt for BA, MBA, and MUS, who in TN does go out and play oos powers? It was stated by someone else that Ohio uses OHSAA bylaws as an "excuse" to not travel further to play teams. If you have a long term commissioner and a few board members making all the rules, you have no choice in the matter. That's far from an excuse or "home cooking". If they're not willing to budge on missing school time/school resources and costs of such trips, what can you do? The school funding issue in Ohio is far worse than most states. There are schools up there that have the will, community support/fund raising capability to travel for these types of games, but have to abide by OHSAA's bylaws or face post-season bans, or worse.

As far as nothing to be scared of, no good team will ever be "scared" of playing another state power. What state started the trend of taking on some of the best teams in the nation? Ohio. So they have gone as far as they are allowed in terms of playing oos powers, which is light years farther than TN has ventured. As I mentioned in another thread, it's been stated by more than one hs football expert that Ohio's Div I football playoffs are brutal, and considered the most competitive in the nation. That speaks volumes for the amount/quality of Div I teams in Ohio. In a one game scenario, anything can happen, but you take MBA, BA, MUS, Alcoa, Riverdale and Maryville and put them in Ohio and play ten games and the playoffs, and they will be good every year; but they would be far less dominant in Ohio as they are in TN, and would have very very few of the state titles they won in TN. As far as all the great schools being private, it couldn't be further from the truth. From '02-'08, 36 titles were won in six divisions. Nineteen were won by public/seventeen were won by private. As far as talent, the best school in Div I is public....Cleveland Glenville, an inner city school who ranks 2nd nationally in number of NFL players on the field today. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3371 ... ies#page/1 They have yet to win a state title in Div I. There are very very few players who are given "scholarships" to attend these privates. To do so and get caught....well, you know what happens. Most of these kids go to a private school for reasons other than athletics, and it's no different than anywhere else. It's a better education with better facilities and resources period.

Looking at some of the better Herbstriet matches over the last 4 yrs shows just how good Ohio football compares to other states. In '08, Cin Elder lost to eventual national champion STA by 11, then went on to lose to St Ignatius by 8 in the title game. I would put an Iggy/STA game at even money that year. St Xavier beat Prattville Ala, who had been/still is dominating Ala football. St X went 4-6 that year, including 3-1 against 4 other states' returning champs, yet 1-5 against Ohio schools. Yes they lost their qb in game 5, but this is a team that has a roster of 300. In '07 Colerain beat the vaunted Hoover team you mentioned, winner of 5 of the last 7 titles. Colerain didn't make it out of their region in the playoffs. Elder beat Independence, NC who came into the game with a 109 game winning streak and owners of the last 7 state titles. Elder went 7-2in Ohio. Add in St X's 38-7 beatdown of DeMatha Catholic(Maryland's best), and Mooney manhandling Gateway(Pa's best) 27-6. In '06, Moeller lost 21-20 to Willie Korn and Byrnes, SC in the last second. Moeller went 5-4 in Ohio that year. St Xavier took Lakeland Fla(national champs) to ot before losing by a fg. X didn't make it out of their region that year. To sum it up, these opponents were dominant in their respective states(Fla, Ala, Pa, MD, IN, NC,SC, AZ, IL, UT, CA) but came away from the Herbie either winning a nail-biter or losing. Not to be disrespectful, because TN has some great teams, but I spent 4 decades in Ohio following hs football religiously before following both here and in OH, and there many more good teams in all divisions than there are in TN. I'm in no way saying Ohio football is the best, but it is far deeper in quality teams than TN. Just as Texas has much more depth than Ohio.

As far as the streaming games, your seeing the same game you would see in person without the atmosphere. Evidently not the matchups I have been watching the past 6 years.

And for the game of topic, I really think this will be a very close, competitive game, as the Green Wave seem to be poised for a great year, while you never know what you're your going to get from McKinley based on recent past. Four coaches in the last decade has made for an up and down decade. This so-called home field advantage/Fawcett stadium awe is only good for 1 or 2 series, then it comes down to 11 on 11. I look forward to a great game.

Warhawks, I really appreciate the offer. Fortunately McKinley has a ton of press and a rabid fan base that really keep everyone up to date on the goings on of the Bulldogs. They do have a scrimmage in August and a jamboree before the Gallatin game that if you hear anything, feel free to post.

Gallatin plays Canton McKinley Aug.28th on a Saturday at 7:30.

We all will gladly take any support you can give us. No doubt McKinley will have a lot more fans than we will have.

Warhawks, I really appreciate the offer. Fortunately McKinley has a ton of press and a rabid fan base that really keep everyone up to date on the goings on of the Bulldogs. They do have a scrimmage in August and a jamboree before the Gallatin game that if you hear anything, feel free to post.

Gallatin plays Canton McKinley Aug.28th on a Saturday at 7:30.

We all will gladly take any support you can give us. No doubt McKinley will have a lot more fans than we will have.

I hope you guys travel well! Thanks for the date and time! I marked it down on the callender and will sit on your side of the field. Maybe we can talk for a few moments before the game, would be a privilege to meet you! If you would have the time! I will watch for any info on scrimmages or the jamboree! GO GREENWAVE :huh:

In reality, many more Ohio powers travel far more often to bordering states and play the best from Pa, Indiana, WV and Kentucky every year than TN schools do. If it were'nt for BA, MBA, and MUS, who in TN does go out and play oos powers? As far as nothing to be scared of, no good team will ever be "scared" of playing another state power. What state started the trend of taking on some of the best teams in the nation? Ohio. So they have gone as far as they are allowed in terms of playing oos powers, which is light years farther than TN has ventured. As I mentioned in another thread, it's been stated by more than one hs football expert that Ohio's Div I football playoffs are brutal, and considered the most competitive in the nation. That speaks volumes for the amount/quality of Div I teams in Ohio. In a one game scenario, anything can happen, but you take MBA, BA, MUS, Alcoa, Riverdale and Maryville and put them in Ohio and play ten games and the playoffs, and they will be good every year; but they would be far less dominant in Ohio as they are in TN, and would have very very few of the state titles they won in TN.

Looking at some of the better Herbstriet matches over the last 4 yrs shows just how good Ohio football compares to other states. In '08, Cin Elder lost to eventual national champion STA by 11, then went on to lose to St Ignatius by 8 in the title game. I would put an Iggy/STA game at even money that year. Elder beat Independence, NC who came into the game with a 109 game winning streak and owners of the last 7 state titles. Elder went 7-2in Ohio. Not to be disrespectful, because TN has some great teams, but I spent 4 decades in Ohio following hs football religiously before following both here and in OH, and there many more good teams in all divisions than there are in TN. I'm in no way saying Ohio football is the best, but it is far deeper in quality teams than TN. Just as Texas has much more depth than Ohio.

I don't think anyone on these boards seriously thinks that TN football is better than OH top to bottom. Like I have stated in a previous post TN will generally produce 2-3 national calibur teams every year, while OH will have 9-10. It's quite clear OH is far better. The traveling issue does bother me, though. I know you guys have to abide by your OHSAA by-laws. It just sucks. I would love to see an OH power travel to TX, FL, or CA and play a top team in their stadium. I ###### about TX doing the very same thing. They take on national powers from time to time as well, but only in the comforts of their home stadiums. They are starting up a Herbstreit-type challenge as well next year. I think the OH Herbstreit will be down this year. The Crosstown Chili match-ups in Cincinnati will be better games. St. X will clobber Good Counsel(basically another Dematha,MD.) Obviously, the top states are TX, CA, and FL. I would put OH or GA(and sometimes PA) in at the 4 and 5 spots. TN is probably in the 12-15 range, depending on the year. The Div I playoffs aren't THAT brutal. What makes it tough is the Region IV section(if that is Cincinnati's region.) That is the brutal part of the playoffs. The toughest gauntlet nationally is either TX's Div I or GA's top class.

I wouldn't put St Iggy on the same page as STA back in 2008. That STA team was ridiculous. Perhaps the best team ever to put on a high school uniform. I really believe that STA was 10 times better at the end of the year and clicking on all cylinders. They beat nationally ranked Lakeland 56-7 that year for the state title. I kind of thought St. Iggy got lucky against Glenville in their region that year, but that is typical Glenville....all talent and no coaching. Also, the year Elder ended Independence's winning streak wasn't that impressive either. Independence hadn't beaten anyone worthy during the entire streak. Elder was the best team they had played in 20 years and they lost. The real streak was DLS's. If I remember, DLS crushed Elder at the Herbstreit.