Referee/Fan-in-stand relations?

dawgballfan

Team A is leading by 10 with about 20 seconds left, stalling and running out the clock. Team B is applying basically token pressure as Team isn't looking to score. One of Team B's players sees an opening and grabs for the ball, near halfcourt and in full view of the referees. Each player tugs for it and both end up on the floor but nothing happens other than that, no rolling or shoving at all-until Team A's player decides to punch the opposing player in the jaw, hard. After a short discussion, the "punchee" gets two free throws and her team maintains possession.

My question, how in the world is that not an ejection?

A punch definately does warrant an ejection if the officials deem it necessary. Had the game been physical and intense the whole game leading up to this point? or was the punch thrown out of frustration because she turned the ball over at the end of the game? Was it a blatant punch that the official DEFINATELY saw, or were there several players around the play because of the loose ball and maybe the official was blocked out and didnt see the punch? Were the two tied up and it was just a "get off me" kind of thing or was the girl intentionally trying to hit the other girl in the face with her fist? While none of these situations mentioned makes throwing a puch ok, the reasoning behind ejecting a player or not often times has more than just "that one incident" involved in making the decision as emotions run high for everyone throughout the game...this is why sometimes just a personal foul will be called, but sometimes an intentional, a technical, or a flagrant foul will be called too-It all depends on the situation...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I start, let me say that, in my opinion, the best officiating crew I've seen all year...heck, for many years...called the game between Goodpasture and Greenbrier last night. GREAT job, guys!, whoever you are. Also, I'm a GB parent and we lost...after having a big lead late in the game.

I heard Roy Williams quoted as saying today's game has gone from basketball as it was originally meant to be played to hand-to-hand combat. I agree wholeheartedly. The only ones that can control that, though, are the hired guns: Coaches and refs. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that either one cares enough about their chosen profession - and I use that term VERY lightly regarding referees even though they are paid VERY well - to properly exercise their authority. I hold the T$$AA 100% responsible for the digression of this wonderful game. It's a shame today's superior athletes work so hard on getting better only to be physically assaulted almost while trying to play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Hand-checking and pushing off are done to gain an advantage and ARE fouls. So, call it. I don't care if you foul out the whole team. Enforce the rules! It's your job!

One last thought on this and I'll get off my soapbox: I believe that most refs know...I mean are aware of...the game and the rules...and absolutely, nobody's perfect. My biggest problem with them is that the majority are so ARROGANT and let the fans' emotions and comments affect their judgment during the heat of the battle. I say if you can't take it, quit. The game will be better for it. And stop making that stupid statement before each game reminding us that derogatory and inflammatory comments shouldn't be used (vulgar, I agree, but I don't know if it even says that :lol: ). If you're gonna do that, you should also give us a customer service (fans are paying customers, big-time) phone number to call when we need to report incompetent and arrogant referees. :lol:

My 2¢.

While I agree with most of your post and am 100% with you that there are SOME referees out there whose ego's are out of this world and they are completely out of line and arrogant, I still wouldnt go as far as to say that the majority are that way. The actions of few cast a bad shadow on all more times than not...And referees at the high school level are hardly paid VERY well. College and professional basketball on the other hand is a whole different story!!! MOST of the guys officiating high school ball do it for the kids and the love of the game, there are just a couple out there who give everyone a bad rep...

How much are they paid? $35/game...or more? $70 divided by 3.5 hours...at the most, including breaks, so 3 hours max...equals over $23/hour, 'for kids and love.' I'd say, in today's economy, that's VERY well, but we all have opinions.

Minus gas, food, and wear and tear on the vehicles....and with the gas prices these days it takes more $$ to get to the games than you may imagine when sometimes officials are driving 90-100 miles each way to get to a game, and figure 15-20 mpg on average...Sure it would be ok money if you stayed in your back yard everynight, but that rarely happens for obvious reasons...I guess we are both right depending on how you look at it tho...

Before I start, let me say that, in my opinion, the best officiating crew I've seen all year...heck, for many years...called the game between Goodpasture and Greenbrier last night. GREAT job, guys!, whoever you are. Also, I'm a GB parent and we lost...after having a big lead late in the game.

I heard Roy Williams quoted as saying today's game has gone from basketball as it was originally meant to be played to hand-to-hand combat. I agree wholeheartedly. The only ones that can control that, though, are the hired guns: Coaches and refs. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that either one cares enough about their chosen profession - and I use that term VERY lightly regarding referees even though they are paid VERY well - to properly exercise their authority. I hold the T$$AA 100% responsible for the digression of this wonderful game. It's a shame today's superior athletes work so hard on getting better only to be physically assaulted almost while trying to play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Hand-checking and pushing off are done to gain an advantage and ARE fouls. So, call it. I don't care if you foul out the whole team. Enforce the rules! It's your job!

One last thought on this and I'll get off my soapbox: I believe that most refs know...I mean are aware of...the game and the rules...and absolutely, nobody's perfect. My biggest problem with them is that the majority are so ARROGANT and let the fans' emotions and comments affect their judgment during the heat of the battle. I say if you can't take it, quit. The game will be better for it. And stop making that stupid statement before each game reminding us that derogatory and inflammatory comments shouldn't be used (vulgar, I agree, but I don't know if it even says that :geek: ). If you're gonna do that, you should also give us a customer service (fans are paying customers, big-time) phone number to call when we need to report incompetent and arrogant referees. :ph34r:

My 2¢.

Awesome last paragraph!! Ditto, Ditto Ditto :popcorneater:

For the ones who think referee's have rabbit ears....

How would you feel about someone coming to your work while your kids are there to tell you that "YOU SUCK", "KEEP YOUR DAY JOB" or being called a "CHEATER".

I referee'd for 10 years and gave it up because all of the horrible sportsmanship from fans & coaches and every year it was getting worse. Will admit there's some great fans and coach, but the majority are horrible.

It depends on rather I really suck or not or am cheating, I mostly have people compliment me on the job I do. I coach football also and hear nothing but mostly positives. When I do hear negatives, I take what was said and do some reflecting. If it hits close to home I try to improve, if I feel it was unjustified I ignore and move on.

I have watched very few games where I knew 100% that the refs were cheating, maybe three. One while I was coaching and a couple while I was watching. They deserved to be burned at the stake for cheating those kids. The rest of the time you may have a poor called game just because the ref isn't very good. Most times I leave satisfied, but agree with alot of the negative posters on here. There are alot of refs with ego's and agenda's.

Team A is leading by 10 with about 20 seconds left, stalling and running out the clock. Team B is applying basically token pressure as Team isn't looking to score. One of Team B's players sees an opening and grabs for the ball, near halfcourt and in full view of the referees. Each player tugs for it and both end up on the floor but nothing happens other than that, no rolling or shoving at all-until Team A's player decides to punch the opposing player in the jaw, hard. After a short discussion, the "punchee" gets two free throws and her team maintains possession.

A punch definately does warrant an ejection if the officials deem it necessary. Had the game been physical and intense the whole game leading up to this point? or was the punch thrown out of frustration because she turned the ball over at the end of the game? Was it a blatant punch that the official DEFINATELY saw, or were there several players around the play because of the loose ball and maybe the official was blocked out and didnt see the punch? Were the two tied up and it was just a "get off me" kind of thing or was the girl intentionally trying to hit the other girl in the face with her fist? While none of these situations mentioned makes throwing a puch ok, the reasoning behind ejecting a player or not often times has more than just "that one incident" involved in making the decision as emotions run high for everyone throughout the game...this is why sometimes just a personal foul will be called, but sometimes an intentional, a technical, or a flagrant foul will be called too-It all depends on the situation...

The "punchee" was below, closer to the half-court line. There was your normal tugging of the ball by both players, nothing more, and it had ended. The "puncher" just looked to be out of control, and what's worse, I was told by someone sitting on that team's side some of their fans were laughing over it. Doubtful it was students, either, as their boys had already gone into the locker room to prepare for the next game.

It was blatant, no other players were near. They saw it and called a technical but no player was ejected. If they'd not seen it, there would have been no T. The puncher had to reach over to connect. I got the feeling they just didn't give a care in the final minute.

For the ones who think referee's have rabbit ears....

How would you feel about someone coming to your work while your kids are there to tell you that "YOU SUCK", "KEEP YOUR DAY JOB" or being called a "CHEATER".

I referee'd for 10 years and gave it up because all of the horrible sportsmanship from fans & coaches and every year it was getting worse. Will admit there's some great fans and coach, but the majority are horrible.

It depends on rather I really suck or not or am cheating, I mostly have people compliment me on the job I do. I coach football also and hear nothing but mostly positives. When I do hear negatives, I take what was said and do some reflecting. If it hits close to home I try to improve, if I feel it was unjustified I ignore and move on.

I have watched very few games where I knew 100% that the refs were cheating, maybe three. One while I was coaching and a couple while I was watching. They deserved to be burned at the stake for cheating those kids. The rest of the time you may have a poor called game just because the ref isn't very good. Most times I leave satisfied, but agree with alot of the negative posters on here. There are alot of refs with ego's and agenda's.

I was told, and it's not confirmed, one school's SRO officiated their varsity high school game last week. (How does that happen :popcorneater: ) And this ref was definitely cheating, I really do think she fouled out the opposing team's leading scorer to get her off the court (fouls 4 and 5 were just awful). She was just as bad during the boys' game.

The "punchee" was below, closer to the half-court line. There was your normal tugging of the ball by both players, nothing more, and it had ended. The "puncher" just looked to be out of control, and what's worse, I was told by someone sitting on that team's side some of their fans were laughing over it. Doubtful it was students, either, as their boys had already gone into the locker room to prepare for the next game.

It was blatant, no other players were near. They saw it and called a technical but no player was ejected. If they'd not seen it, there would have been no T. The puncher had to reach over to connect. I got the feeling they just didn't give a care in the final minute.

Whether right or wrong, this is probably the main reason the player was not ejected. The official gave a Technical instead of the ejection because unlike an ejection...technical fouls do not require paperwork and a report sent in to the state. If it happened the way you say it did, then I am led to believe and ejection would have been the appropriate action in this case and I promise after sitting out at a crucial time of the year that she would at least think twice before letting another punch fly!!!