State predictions anyone?

hrdcrwrestler

[quote name="WrestlingGod

Theres a lot of refs that get on here' date=' bororef, me, nashvilleref, just three for you....its not a big deal for someone to get on and give their predictions, ref or not, giving predictions isnt bad, calling the matches to make your predictions true is where the problem would lie...[/quote]

And that is my point. There is a possibility that you and/or nashville ref could be calling a match involving these kids and the perception that you have a bias towards one or the other does not look good. Officials are not suppose to care who wins or loses. By making "predictions" as an official, you are sending the wrong message.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a lot of refs that get on here' date=' bororef, me, nashvilleref, just three for you....its not a big deal for someone to get on and give their predictions, ref or not, giving predictions isnt bad, calling the matches to make your predictions true is where the problem would lie...[/quote]

And that is my point. There is a possibility that you and/or nashville ref could be calling a match involving these kids and the perception that you have a bias towards one or the other does not look good. Officials are not suppose to care who wins or loses. By making "predictions" as an official, you are sending the wrong message.

You bring up a good point. But at the same time do you really think that one of these officials who are making these predictions is good enough to call the state tourny in the first place. I think not.

You bring up a good point. But at the same time do you really think that one of these officials who are making these predictions is good enough to call the state tourny in the first place. I think not.

You sound like a dad who has a certain beef with an official. By the way, Im sure you will see me, bororef, and nashvilleref come mid feb at the ag center working the state tourney. Have you seen any of us call matches? We are all three pretty good..and we will be working state. Just because I say that, for exp. Mike Kennedy, is gonna win state, that does not mean that I am going to do everything in my power to ensure he does. But Im sorry I didnt know that once I was employed by TSSAA that I was no longer a human being and was not entitled to an opinion anymore.

Is this rule just for region & state tournaments? The reason I'm asking is I know several times ref's have been assigned to individual tournament matches that had "strong" affiliations with one of the schools wrestling in that match. For me though, I've never had a reason to complain since the matches were called fairly. Not that it couldn't be a problem, but I've not experienced it that I'm aware of. Guess my point is, if this is a rule it's not being followed outside of the region/state tournaments.

quote from wrestlingGod:

You sound like a dad who has a certain beef with an official. By the way, Im sure you will see me, bororef, and nashvilleref come mid feb at the ag center working the state tourney. Have you seen any of us call matches? We are all three pretty good..and we will be working state. Just because I say that, for exp. Mike Kennedy, is gonna win state, that does not mean that I am going to do everything in my power to ensure he does. But Im sorry I didnt know that once I was employed by TSSAA that I was no longer a human being and was not entitled to an opinion anymore.

Do not break your shoulder trying to pat yourself on the back. When I said you woulld not be calling the state I was not refering to the 3 of you being towel tappers.

quote from wrestlingGod:

Do not break your shoulder trying to pat yourself on the back. When I said you woulld not be calling the state I was not refering to the 3 of you being towel tappers.

Towel tapping isnt in my job description, lol. That is up to the tournament coordinator (which is my mom, so if for some reason I am not calling the tourney I may end up tapping hahaha).

No, but having those thoughts can influence certain decisions you make. NOT saying that it will, I just know that it's human nature that when you have an opinion, you thoughts can be influenced by that opinion.

What I mean by that is....

If you think Wrestler X is going to win a match, and his opponent is up by a point of two with a minute left. And is fending off shot after shot from Wrester X, your OPINION might be that Wrestler B is stalling, because you really thought Wrestler X was going to win this one easily based on his takedowns. When in fact, Wrestler B is not even able to get any offense going, because Wrestler X is shooting every 10 seconds. BUT, because of your opinion, you call stalling and now Wrestler B has to do something they normally wouldn't do in that situation to avoid a penalty point.

This can go on for days, but my main point is, if you have an opinion on who you think will win, and all refs do the same, then sooner or later, a match will be influenced by that opinion. Where a true professional has blinders on, and just calls what is in front of him, and nothing else.

You sound like a dad who has a certain beef with an official. By the way, Im sure you will see me, bororef, and nashvilleref come mid feb at the ag center working the state tourney. Have you seen any of us call matches? We are all three pretty good..and we will be working state.

And not conceited at all! :roflolk:

Seriously, I have not seen you call any matches but I believe you are a 1st year official and extremely biased towards one program in the state. It would be a huge mistake to have a rookie ref - especially when there are so many good experienced refs available - calling matches in the state's biggest and potentially a single elimination tournament where a bad call in an early match could cost a team dearly. Maybe you are calling the girls state?