Teams at the Ryan Tournament?

NashvilleRef

Some of the tactics used by this school's kids are way out of control, and the school's admin needs to take a long hard look at their wrestling program. From blatant head butts, to the constant kicking off of one's own shoe. Among other things that goes on. I can't believe for the life of me, that anyone would want their school's name put out there like this.

Ridiculous!

Wrong. Just wrong. How dare you put this on a school and their coaches. That is what's "ridiculous". You are just a bitter person. Perhaps Johnson is your son since you were sitting on the edge of the mat close enough to hear the exact words Connell said to the "young lady sitting next to him on the floor". As a McCallie supporter, the tactics used in that particular match were embarrassing. That's the best way I can describe it, but I don't for one second blame that on the school or the coaches. Are you honestly so dense that you would believe that particular wrestler was TAUGHT that in the wrestling room? I'm sure Connell has little sessions after practice where he teaches "ways to cheat in a match". Probably the most well attended practice don't you think? You are entitled to be upset over the tactics used, but to take it to the extreme that you took it in this post is absurd. Connell clearly showed his disapproval of the situation by telling "the young lady sitting next to him on the floor" that he was not getting up for that crap. When he did get up, (since you missed it I thought I'd fill you in) he got in the wrestlers face and yelled at him to suck it up and finish the match tough like the wrestler he is.

And another thing about that match, the shoe should have NEVER been thrown at Connell like the ref did. That was unprofessional and just silly to be honest. What was Connell supposed to do with the shoe? Turn into the prince from Cinderella and go out on the mat and fit it on Hooker's foot himself!? Please. The shoe belonged to Hooker. He needed to put it back on. No need to hurl it at the coach and yell angry words out of frustration. Hence the unprofessional part. And he said "the next time this happens, that will be a point". Oh, because I was unaware a ref could make up a rule.

This whole match was ridiculous. From the wrestling to the reffing to the murmuring in the stands. But 2blLeg - don't embarrass yourself with a post like that again.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the tactics used by this school's kids are way out of control, and the school's admin needs to take a long hard look at their wrestling program. From blatant head butts, to the constant kicking off of one's own shoe. Among other things that goes on. I can't believe for the life of me, that anyone would want their school's name put out there like this.

Ridiculous!

Wrong. Just wrong. How dare you put this on a school and their coaches. That is what's "ridiculous". You are just a bitter person. Perhaps Johnson is your son since you were sitting on the edge of the mat close enough to hear the exact words Connell said to the "young lady sitting next to him on the floor". As a McCallie supporter, the tactics used in that particular match were embarrassing. That's the best way I can describe it, but I don't for one second blame that on the school or the coaches. Are you honestly so dense that you would believe that particular wrestler was TAUGHT that in the wrestling room? I'm sure Connell has little sessions after practice where he teaches "ways to cheat in a match". Probably the most well attended practice don't you think? You are entitled to be upset over the tactics used, but to take it to the extreme that you took it in this post is absurd. Connell clearly showed his disapproval of the situation by telling "the young lady sitting next to him on the floor" that he was not getting up for that crap. When he did get up, (since you missed it I thought I'd fill you in) he got in the wrestlers face and yelled at him to suck it up and finish the match tough like the wrestler he is.

And another thing about that match, the shoe should have NEVER been thrown at Connell like the ref did. That was unprofessional and just silly to be honest. What was Connell supposed to do with the shoe? Turn into the prince from Cinderella and go out on the mat and fit it on Hooker's foot himself!? Please. The shoe belonged to Hooker. He needed to put it back on. No need to hurl it at the coach and yell angry words out of frustration. Hence the unprofessional part. And he said "the next time this happens, that will be a point". Oh, because I was unaware a ref could make up a rule.

This whole match was ridiculous. From the wrestling to the reffing to the murmuring in the stands. But 2blLeg - don't embarrass yourself with a post like that again.

Let me ask you a question 90. How many times do you see headgears come off and the ref toss it to the coach till there is a break. If the shoe was full of power Coach Connell would have asked to disappear. You could tell it on the coaches face when Hooker went down that Connell wanted to run from it all. I just think he is sick of the whole hooker thing and his dad.

Let me ask you a question 90. How many times do you see headgears come off and the ref toss it to the coach till there is a break. If the shoe was full of power Coach Connell would have asked to disappear. You could tell it on the coaches face when Hooker went down that Connell wanted to run from it all. I just think he is sick of the whole hooker thing and his dad.

That was my point - Connell is embarrassed and sick of it, yes. Therefore not approving of it as some people on this board seem to hint at.

And Texas, I sure hope you meant your last comment - for if it was sarcasm, I'd like to meet you in person. I normally try to stay away from these stupid, idiotic comments, but when you question the integrity of a coach, especially one as high a caliber as Coach Connell, I really hope you have something to back it up with.

That was my point - Connell is embarrassed and sick of it, yes. Therefore not approving of it as some people on this board seem to hint at.

And Texas, I sure hope you meant your last comment - for if it was sarcasm, I'd like to meet you in person. I normally try to stay away from these stupid, idiotic comments, but when you question the integrity of a coach, especially one as high a caliber as Coach Connell, I really hope you have something to back it up with.

first of all 90,,,i meant it......but because you want to act like you are going to physically beat me up in a meeting, i prefer to say okay, it was sarcasm.

Ridiculous!

First, I never said the coach taught him anything like that. I simply said that the school should look at these actions. I don't for a minute think that the coach has taught either of these boys these "tricks". So please do not think that is what I'm saying. I'm not trying to belittle the school, nor the coaches. Just saying that the coach has the power to stop these kinds of things, and should and now. That's all.

As for your point about the ref throwing the shoe at the coach. I couldn't agree more. It was totally unprofessional, and something should be done about that as well.

Please understand, I am not bitter in the least. Tired of the "shoeless" trick, but not bitter. And I guess confused, because Hooker is a better wrestler than that.

If you feel I was attacking your coach, for that I apologize. That was not my intention. My intention was to bring it up to the point that it gets stopped. As well as the head butt, that needs to be looked at and dealt with. It was totally intentional, and the ref is really the one to blame on this one. He was standing right there, and his response was that he didn't see it.

this is finally becoming interesting....... :popcorneater:

I have a hard time seeing this coach teaching a cheating technique.......absurd.

D@mn, you read into things. Please show me where I said that the coach taught him that.

LOL....

you are just a misunderstood man I guess. Even w90 had the impression that you said it was taught in the wrestling room. I found that absurd, as much as I find some guy wanting to beat me up for something said about a coach, again, absurd.

this is finally becoming interesting....... :popcorneater:

I have a hard time seeing this coach teaching a cheating technique.......absurd.

D@mn, you read into things. Please show me where I said that the coach taught him that.

LOL....

you are just a misunderstood man I guess. Even w90 had the impression that you said it was taught in the wrestling room. I found that absurd, as much as I find some guy wanting to beat me up for something said about a coach, again, absurd.

I guess I really need to watch the way I word things, but that is not what I meant. I do think the shoe thing is on purpose, but do not want to say that it's taught by the coaches. DO think that the coaches should put their "FOOT" down, and stop it once and for all. Way too many good wrestlers on that team, to be tainted by the actions of one or two of these kids. And my point was, I would think the school would really care about their reputation on these things. Maybe they do, and maybe there are things that are not understood by us outsiders, but seems pretty simple to stop the shoe thing, and the head butting.

Question,

If the shoe comes off a wrestler,is the match stopped immediatley or does the match continue like when a headgear is displaced? Is it not the same as if the headgear comes off? I do not know. I do know that the shoe has come off in more than one match. What is the ref to do? Were the strings tied tight? Under the the overlap on the shoe, if the shoe comes off and they ask the wrestler to put the shoe back on, if the strings are tight, does he get a pass? If the strings are not tied and are pulled apart, does the wrestler not get penalized for not being properly attired (?)? I ask this only because I have seen this many times in Chattanooga and I do not know the answer. Can anybody explain?

I would call either stalling or unsportsmanlike conduct if a wrestler is intentionally taking his own headgear or shoe off to stop the match. My understanding is that he used his other foot the second time to kick off his shoe. That would qualify as either of the items above and should result in a point for the other wrestler. It would also be a good lesson for the wrestler...

After the match, the referees said they could not control or determine how tightly the young man has his shoe tied. Ok, but you can watch how it is taken off and determine if that was intentional. If there are two referees and Michael Hooker is wrestling, one should be assigned to watch his shoes...lol.

Actually Michael is a great wrestler and very tough to win against. Much of that credit also goes to the guys sitting in the corner.