Memphis Dandy Dozen

HOOPSGURU

What do you exactly mean by playmaking PG? Runs the offense? Scores points? Defensive Leader or a simple comparison to a current college or NBA PG.

I myself personally think Chris Jones is the best scoring PG. At this point I don't see Jackson, seems like the perfect replica of A.I., as a true 1 guard like Julian Burton, Jones, or a Masceo Harman from Central.

I think Darious Paige is the best Pure Pg, might be more of a homer pick though :ph34r:.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harmon, Central's offense is alittle too low-scoring for me to accurately judge him right now. I'll have to see him more. Paige, he's nice, but he's not anywhere near as important to Southwind as Durham is to Craigmont, and against White Station and Germantown, Paige had numerous undesirable moments. He might've cost them the White Station game with the "dribbling all around the floor for no apparent reason in TWO different clutch situations", though you have to give him credit for the clutch 3 that sent it to overtime. But they shouldn't have needed that shot anyway. Durham makes Craigmont explosive. Last year for example, when he was on the floor, they were unstoppable. When he wasn't, they were an average team who didn't know how to get their points. #2(don't know his name) for Southwind isn't much of a drop off(if any) from Paige.

#2 is his brother Darius Paige. I would have to disagree with you on the White Station game. With the way the refs were playing and how POORLY Nick shot the ball, Paige was the key especially when J3 and Nick got into foul trouble. Against Germantown he didn't really play much until the 2nd half since he got into foul trouble. He provides more offense than his brother, but his Darius is a very strong and good defender, got Joe very frustrated by simply getting physical with him. I've never seen Durham play so thats another reason. as well.

I'm starting to think the Melrose and White Station game won't live up to the expectations. Nino Johnson and Marvin Williams ARE NOT getting it done. Point Blank. Joe is great, but White Station is NOT. I think the Spartans get alot more pub and respect due to Jackson. They also are not a very good defensive team. Ridgeway takes on Southwind next Tuesday.

The Jaguars are a MUCH better rebounding team due to their depth, and length. They also play much better defense than White Station. They are skinny on the inside, but they have that type of attitude now that they lacked last year. On the perimeter is where this team is so good. Darious Paige, Nick Mason, Darrian Gray, and Montez Phifer all will be playing D1 ball.

The keys for Southwind will be to make this game guard orientated, and play their up tempo style while playing sound defense. Darrian Gray has been putting up 20 points for about 5 or 6 straight games! Darious Paige is an unheralded PG in the 2011 class. Mason is one of the best shooters in the city, and Montez is one of those guards who does just about everything for a team. Consider him like an A.J. Price or Jerome Dyson.

For Ridgeway I believe, they'll have to continue their hot shooting, but also make this more of an inside game. With J3 out, Tarik Black must have a monster game! He'll have at least 40 pounds on the starting Southwind frontline. Their guards must also be able to match the input of not only the 4 guards just mentioned, but also the guys coming off the bench. Cam Golden and Marterrance Brock have been the catalyst for this very impressive Ridgeway squad.

In the end I think Southwind's versatility with all 5 guys being able to put it on the floor and their sound defensive effort will be JUST enough to score a big win.

Southwind 71, Ridgeway 69!

Given White Station's weaknesses (nearly non-existent post scoring, poor rebounding, questionable defense), Melrose SHOULD defeat them handily. White Station will be severely overmatched.

It sounds like the Ridgeway - Southwind game will be highly competitive, a thriller!

----------------------------------------

Sidenote:

Tarik Black looks like he's added a good 20 pounds of muscle, since last season!

Seriously, dude now looks like a dag-gum Defensive End or Tight End and plays much more physically than last season. His teammates need to make a much better effort to feed him the ball more, a WHOLE lot more.... White Station simply had zero answers for Tarik, ZERO! Luckily for WS, Black didn't touch the ball more.. Otherwise, he could have easily scored 30+ points, IMO.

As for the Spartans, I've been saying this all season: If Jackson isn't on absolute fire, they are in DEEP trouble. For them to beat Central, Melrose, Southwind, Ridgeway, Germantown, Craigmont, or Raleigh-Egypt, he needs at least 35. Anything less than that, you can count them out. Ridgeway again exposed White Station's weaknesses. They are extremely SOFT in the post, even for this era of time(which is pitiful), shallow bench, lack others to create their own shot, and Hollins just hasn't provided what I expected from him this year. I expect Burton to provide some type of change for them once he gets in full swing.

My friend, your assessment of White Station is sooooooo accurate!! Wow.

Joe Jackson had an EXTREMELY quiet 25 pts vs Ridgeway.....took a ton of shots, though (by necessity).

You've got to see him. He's a rare type, real throw back. That's why i like him. Paige was clutch in that game with the scoring in the second half, but those 2 plays where he dribbled all around the floor like that just blew my mind. In that situation, for example, Durham would have got the ball to Gray or Fifer, who were rolling in the 2nd half. That's a perfect example, knowing who's got it going and making sure they get it. He didn't make Gray a factor in the clutch, which I'd like to think Coach Edwards would've told the team to do. But you're right, the refs robbed them heavily up until then. Then they just beat themselves. Throughout the game, he would've gotten it to J3 on the perimeter to milk Marvin Williams fouls(which they didn't do enough of), and keep the tempo up to take advantage of White Station having no bench(which they didn't do at all). Paige handled the ball, cut down the Turnovers, and provided some big-time scoring to fill in for Mason. Great effort, but also much that cost them.

Against Germantown, I saw Paige on numerous occasions catch the inbounds pass, then proceed to stop or slowly walk up the floor while watching and waiting for Germantown to set up a 1-3-1 full-court press and then instead of making the easy diagonal pass to Fifer to beat it, he continually forced it to Gray who had the Germantown defenders all over him at center court, allowing them to get the fastbreak buckets off the easy steal to claw back in the 4th quarter. Germantown was taking so long to set up that he could've easily just pushed it passed them before they did it, LOL. Funny that you mention he didn't play much until the 2nd half because of foul trouble. They were rolling like a well-oiled machined when he was sitting in the 1st half, but gave up the lead when he got back. I love him, I'd take him as my starting PG anyday. It's just when things get tough, from what I've seen, he seems to try to do just a tad bit too much and put it all on himself. Good thing is, you can tell he has the confidence and Coach Edwards trusts his PG(which will pay off in the long run, and why I think they'll win State).

I have to say this about Ridgeway:

I am thoroughly impressed at the way their offense has performed while being so guard-dominated. They can crack 100 with Black only scoring 10-15. That means young men are on the perimeter shooting the lights out and making plays in transition. However, unless they start pounding it inside to him, they're going to get their hearts broken. It WILL catch up with them sooner or later. Hopefully not later. You can't have a top 50 ranked PF down there and just decide you're just not going to give him the ball. I read a possible reason why they do that, but I hope it isn't true

Jones is a much more explosive scorer, but just as a pure play-maker for his team, Durham has no comparison. I'm kind of shocked that a player with Durham's mentality even exists in 2010

I have seen Chris Jones--He is definitely a solid PG, but his mindset and game clearly has a huge "Shooting Guard" component.

I have NOT seen Durham....

Based on your spot-on assessment of White Station AND Ridgeway (and Chris Jones), I'm very inclined to accept your appraisal of Durham!

I look forward to seeing this Durham kid in action. I just love seeing a TRUE, savvy Floor-General (PG) in action! It's a absolute thing of beauty, IMO. :ph34r:

Just saw some highlights of Durham on the Memphis Select site, so you should check that out Trader. Overall your diagnosis of Paige in those two situations is on point.

As for the reason for Black not getting many touches, I know exactly what you're talking about. Henning was pushing him HEAVILY towards Marquette a team who isn't really ideal for a highly ranked big man. Disses Marquette and Henning and stays home, I don't think the Coach liked it at all, but he gives him just enough touches to be effective somewhat. He'll need more than 15 against Southwind, because their guards CAN compete with Ridgeway's.