Memphis Dandy Dozen

HOOPSGURU

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off officials was horrible. Rucker never should have been kicked out of the game. In the first 2 minutes of the 3rd Quarter. And they wonder why the police was everywhere. After he was kicked out Central came back and took game over. So basically Melrose was without Rucker and Hollimon. Sorry Nate Jr I know u was ticked so please dont post anything while u in that frame of mind. OK my friend your son will be ok. Jermaine Hollimon was injured and did not play just in case anyone needed to know why.

What happened?! Trader do you think this was more of some of Melrose's flaws being exposed or is Central just one of those teams that has Melrose's number? Similiar to UTEP and Memphis, or Southwind and Ridgeway :roflol:?

Did all of Central's players play?

All of Central's guys played, except Applewhite. He was sitting on the end of the bench, in street clothes.

Melrose was missing one of its starters, Holliman (I think). He was dressed out, but did not participate in any activities. He was hobbling around, wit an obvious injury--looked like an ankle or knee injury or something....

I did not get the feeling that Central "exposed" any major Melrose weakness, except when Rucker went to the bench!! Melrose was noticeably poor on the boards! This MIGHT be a potential problem, although I strongly suspect that Holliman would have helped in that department. At any rate, it was at that exact point that Central out-played and out-rebounded Melrose, especially offensively.

Rebounding appears to be Central's strength.

------------------------------------

As for the game itself:

Melrose controlled the first half and cruised to a 10 or 11 point half-time lead. Thomas and Jones led the way for them, while McAfee added a couple of 3-pointers. Their big man, Rucker was a force defensively--when he wasn't fouling! Meanwhile, Tim Pete and their PG (Hobson, I think) did most of Central's 1st-half damage. Their big men, Stokes and Clear, rebounded very well and contributed a few buckets.

Central came out in the 2nd-half and, thanks to multiple 3-pointers by Pete, and quickly sliced Melrose's lead to 4 points. Nevertheless, Melrose continued to control the scoreboard, thanks to the relentless play of Bobby Parks, Jr.

Early in the 4th Quarter, with Melrose clinging to a 5 or 6 point lead, Rucker was called for yet another foul (deserved)! Rucker then promptly did/said to the ref, who swiftly hit Rucker a Techincal (that's a total of 2 PERSONAL fouls on that one play)! Rucker went to the bench. Central then went to the line for 4 foul shots....AND the ball! By the end of that enduring posession, Central had cut Melrose's lead down to 2 or 3 points!

With Rucker on the bench, Central's big man (Stokes) really stepped up! Central really began to dominate the offensive boards and get to the FT line--a whole lot, thanks also to their penetration. They hit more timely 3-pointers and, ultimately, went up by 5 or 7 points with just over 1-minute remaining in the game!

Rucker never returned to the game, although the coach attempted to put him back in @ about the 3 or 4-minute mark. The refs removed Rucker from the scorer's table and sent him back to his seat...It kinda' looked like he either got tossed or picked up 5 fouls. I don't know which...

Anyway...

Thanks to the smart, aggressive play of Parks (and Thomas, to a lesser extent), and Central turnovers, Melrose was able to finally get to the FT line and cut Central's lead back down to 2 point with only 10 or 12 seconds remaining.... Parks went to the line again, but hit only the 1st FT.

After a mad scramble for the ball, after Park's missed FT, Central came away with it and bolted down court. They hit a layup with about 2 seconds remaining, to make the final margin. With the clock still running, Melrose attempted a long desperation shot at the buzzer. No good. Game over.

Excellent win by Central.

Wow, what an awesome game!

Central look impressive, even missing Applewhite. The two young post was the difference in the game....to me. It didn't help that Rucker went out with the two techs.

BINGO!!

I did not realize that Rucker got TWO technicals! Wow...So, that equated to 3 personal fouls on that one play!! Amazing!

Besides Rucker being ejected, how was the officiating?

I would have to say that the officiating was sub-par, mostly going in Central's favor.

Melrose got a TON of charging calls against them, eliminating crucial scores.

Melrose's big man, Nate Rucker actually EARNED many of the fouls called against him (I'm not sure about the Technicals. I don't know what happened, there...). He needs to learn to play smarter, defensive basketball. He makes many silly, un-called-for fouls. Also, his offensive skills need work.

Nevertheless, Melrose still had many other opportunities to win. They led for more than 3/4ths of the game, and and squandered a 10 or 11-pt 3rd quarter lead.

Kudos to Central's big men for playing under control, especially Stokes.

What happened?! Trader do you think this was more of some of Melrose's flaws being exposed or is Central just one of those teams that has Melrose's number? Similiar to UTEP and Memphis, or Southwind and Ridgeway :roflol:?

Did all of Central's players play?

Central really does appear to (still) have Melrose's number! Central's controlled, slower pace of basketball coupled with talented and unselfish players....this just seems to give Melrose problems, for whatever reason.

Make no mistake about it, though--this Central squad is for real! They definitely have a Championship caliber team. Their rebounding and post production is a HUGE part of that component. Additionally, they've got excellent guard play (even without Applewhite), good perimeter and excellent FT shooting. They seemed to go 7 or 8 deep. Their big men also defend the paint very well and don't foul a whole bunch, either. Overall, Central plays very smart team basketball.

Oh, by the way....This loss changes nothing, in my view, about Melrose--they STILL have a verrrrry good team! I actually think that its good for them to have lost a game, and not have to deal with the enormous pressure of an undefeated season! They appear deeper than Central, but Central has the edge in the crucial area of post production, and rebounding (when Rucker and Holliman are out).

Just found out Ruckers situation. He did not have 2 techs. He had 5 fouls.1 foul at the half and 1 foul early in the 3rd. The on the stokes block he picked up his third then the stupid tech was 2 more fouls. 5. So after that central took over. So second half no rucker and entire game no hollimon. They can't win without them 2

Make no mistake about it, Nate Rucker is the MOST IMPORTANT player in the city, not Joe Jackson, not Chris Jones. Black and J3 are close behind why? Cause when these BIG MEN(Surprisingly since Memphis is a guard heavy city) don't play or play poorly their teams struggle to win and just lose. With Rucker out some of the toughness and intimidation they have over teams suddenly vanishes, and also it causes problems on the rebounding. They have a young raw post, but its obvious if Nate goes out, it will be up to Adonis. When Black doesn't get touches and Ridgeway plays a team with solid guard play(Sheffeild, Southwind, Westlake) they have tough(tough isn't always bad either) or they have lost. Without J3 Southwind loses a crucial half-court weapon and his length on defense. Its very surprising the play of these post players will be the key to alot of team's chances at state.

P.S. Central's Point Guard's name is Masceo Harman.

Make no mistake about it, Nate Rucker is the MOST IMPORTANT player in the city, not Joe Jackson, not Chris Jones. Black and J3 are close behind why? Cause when these BIG MEN(Surprisingly since Memphis is a guard heavy city) don't play or play poorly their teams struggle to win and just lose. With Rucker out some of the toughness and intimidation they have over teams suddenly vanishes, and also it causes problems on the rebounding. They have a young raw post, but its obvious if Nate goes out, it will be up to Adonis. When Black doesn't get touches and Ridgeway plays a team with solid guard play(Sheffeild, Southwind, Westlake) they have tough(tough isn't always bad either) or they have lost. Without J3 Southwind loses a crucial half-court weapon and his length on defense. Its very surprising the play of these post players will be the key to alot of team's chances at state.

P.S. Central's Point Guard's name is Masceo Harman.

Agreed.

Rucker has to play smarter. He's the most wreckless big man in the city :popcorneater:

Last year, Stokes was going to work on him. That slower pace Central has is tough in Memphis. Too many teams used to running and gunning. That's why Ridgeway, Raleigh-Egypt, and White Station dominate in terms of State tournament appearances: They know how to pick you apart in the halfcourt set. No matter how deep and athletic you are, you WILL NOT run-and-gun all the way to a State Title. At some point, you have to be able to slow it down. Even the 2008 Ridgeway team had a 51-50 win over Clarksville at State and White Station last year 46-36 over Clarksville-Northeast.

I think Central shouldn't won last year. Plain and simple, they did everything possible and necessary to GIVE that regional semi-final to White Station.