9. Bartlett / 13-2 / NR /

10. Sheffield / 10-4 / 9 /

11. Raleigh-Egypt / 13-3 / NR /

12. Christian Bros. HS / 13-2 / NR /

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Station is not the number two team in Memphis. That title would belong to Southwind or Ridgeway. Ridgeway has not only beaten White Station but also nationally ranked Westlake down in Atlanta, but they also lost to Sheffeild. Southwind's only loss is to White Station in a VERY controversial win where Southwind scored a bucket with a little over a second to go, but it was overturned by the refs. They also collected wins over some good GA teams in Tucker and Chamblee.

White Station is not the number two team in Memphis. That title would belong to Southwind or Ridgeway. Ridgeway has not only beaten White Station but also nationally ranked Westlake down in Atlanta, but they also lost to Sheffeild. Southwind's only loss is to White Station in a VERY controversial win where Southwind scored a bucket with a little over a second to go, but it was overturned by the refs. They also collected wins over some good GA teams in Tucker and Chamblee.

I agree 100%!!

It's unfortunate that all of the Mps City School games got cancelled, tonight (Friday). Man, I sure was looking forward to seeing Central at Melrose!

Oh well, at least tomorrow night's Ridgeway at White Station game is still on....It should be a packed house! While I'll be pulling for Ridgeway, I fully expect WS to bounce back from the brutal beat-down that Ridgeway put on 'em, a few weeks ago. No outcome will surprise me, in this intense rivalry game.

Melrose may very well have more high end talent than any public school in the entire country. But, getting through meat grinder of a schedule in Memphis is so tough. Melorse (down a few years but clearly back at the top) and White Station are the two teams getting the national recognition and Ridgeway is stating to get that same recognition to just as in years past. Southwind should be mentioned just as these three but they don't have the tradition as of yet. I say Southwind and Central are the next two teams from Memphis to hit the national radar, although it might be next season.

Whatever the case I honestly believe Memphis has 6 of the top 100 teams in the country.

(1) Melrose

(2) Southwind

(3) White Station

(4) Ridgeway

(5) Cenrtral

(6) Germantown

Oh, and Raliegh Egypt is 13 and 3 or something like that in what can be considered a down year. The loss of McAfee to Melrose really hurts Craigmont but if he had stayed they would have been a team capable of being top 100. Plus in AA you have Manassas and Sheffield.

So many great and really good teams it's almost unreal. Playing a AAA schedule in Memphis is like playing one of the toughest schedules in the country. My money goes with Melrose as the top team. But, that's why they play the games...to see who really is the best.

We may head down to Memphis tomorrow to check out that Ridgeway/White Station game.

Final: Ridgeway 89 -- White Station 52

----------------------------

Ridgeway's smothering defense and interior scoring overwhelmed White Station, right from the opening tip! Additionally, RW heated up from the outside as well. They never let up.... Ridgeway is a MUCH better, more balanced team than White Station. This blow-out win was absolutely no fluke.

White Station lacks interior scoring and is predominately a perimeter team. While they have decent height in the post, their big-men have ZERO post-scoring talent. They also don't rebound very well, from what I observed. This is a losing combination for White Station versus an attacking team like Ridgeway.

I'm starting to think the Melrose and White Station game won't live up to the expectations. Nino Johnson and Marvin Williams ARE NOT getting it done. Point Blank. Joe is great, but White Station is NOT. I think the Spartans get alot more pub and respect due to Jackson. They also are not a very good defensive team. Ridgeway takes on Southwind next Tuesday.

The Jaguars are a MUCH better rebounding team due to their depth, and length. They also play much better defense than White Station. They are skinny on the inside, but they have that type of attitude now that they lacked last year. On the perimeter is where this team is so good. Darious Paige, Nick Mason, Darrian Gray, and Montez Phifer all will be playing D1 ball.

The keys for Southwind will be to make this game guard orientated, and play their up tempo style while playing sound defense. Darrian Gray has been putting up 20 points for about 5 or 6 straight games! Darious Paige is an unheralded PG in the 2011 class. Mason is one of the best shooters in the city, and Montez is one of those guards who does just about everything for a team. Consider him like an A.J. Price or Jerome Dyson.

For Ridgeway I believe, they'll have to continue their hot shooting, but also make this more of an inside game. With J3 out, Tarik Black must have a monster game! He'll have at least 40 pounds on the starting Southwind frontline. Their guards must also be able to match the input of not only the 4 guards just mentioned, but also the guys coming off the bench. Cam Golden and Marterrance Brock have been the catalyst for this very impressive Ridgeway squad.

In the end I think Southwind's versatility with all 5 guys being able to put it on the floor and their sound defensive effort will be JUST enough to score a big win.

Southwind 71, Ridgeway 69!

WoW... Ridgeway by 37 points. I never would have predicted that. Ridgeway has to be thrown into the loop as potential state champs now...Now I dont feel so bad on missing the game...WHo would have thought Ferrokhan Hall would be missed so much for White Station...Right now which ever two teams that get out of Memphis looks highly favored to win AAA again...

First, the ending of that Southwind/White Station game wasn't controversial to me, though I can understand anyone who thinks different. Reason being, I was standing right beside the court on my way out of the gym(as were many other people). And I easily saw the point guard for Southwind(short guy #2) step on the baseline after he stole the ball before he made the pass to Denzel Hardy(#1) who then made the lay-up. Yes, there was time left, however, that wasn't the ruling. The ruling was that he stepped out of bounds, which indeed he did. However, BEFORE ALL THAT HAPPENED, the officials were HEAVILY in White Station's favor for the first 3 and 1/2 quarters of the game. They gave Southwind the good ole shank job. As for the Spartans, I've been saying this all season: If Jackson isn't on absolute fire, they are in DEEP trouble. For them to beat Central, Melrose, Southwind, Ridgeway, Germantown, Craigmont, or Raleigh-Egypt, he needs at least 35. Anything less than that, you can count them out. Ridgeway again exposed White Station's weaknesses. They are extremely SOFT in the post, even for this era of time(which is pitiful), shallow bench, lack others to create their own shot, and Hollins just hasn't provided what I expected from him this year. I expect Burton to provide some type of change for them once he gets in full swing. However, Central is the only team left on Melrose schedule that has a chance of challenging them. I just don't think Germantown will get it done. I still think Southwind is more physical than Ridgeway(though Ridgeway is noticeably more physical than last year), and that their depth and versatility will get them the regular season title of district 15, but Henning will take the district tournament, because that's just what he does. :ph34r:

Melrose, Southwind, and Ridgeway above everyone else. And I assure you all, McAfee's departure won't hurt Craigmont anywhere near as much as you think. Durham was last year and still is the most important player on that team, by a LONG shot. And I still say, he's the best PURE play-making PG in the city.