Wrestling Opponent

PUMMELKING

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Keller is definitely on my list. Also, Jeff Lloyd from Clarksville Northwest. He was a one-legged state champion at 103 pounds in the early 1990's...no one wants to get beasted by a guy with one leg. Clarksville High had a wrestler named Matt McCarty a few years back who also was intimidating...saw him hurt more than a couple good wrestlers with his take-no-prisoners mentality on the mat.

Michael Bowerman. 98 lber from Cleveland back in the early 80's. Also, Johnny Lennon, another Cleveland wrestler. Heck, watching Johhny warm-up scared 1/2 the kids in the tournament. Not just the guys in his weight class, I mean 1/2 the kids, all weight class, in the tournament!

Lennon is a good selection----heard a lot of stories about him. Now, never having seen him wrestle in his high school days, I don't know if he was as intimidating or scary as his nickname, but if nicknames count for anything, would Overton state champ Chuck " The Mean Wrestling Machine" Bean get any votes?

I have a couple, Whitt Dunning, Jordan Leen, Ryan Carothers, Hunter Allen and the Father Ryan Hwt from two years ago. All monsters, some more so literally than others, haha

Ryan Carothers was only 16 years of age his senior year, when he won state. He could have been classified as a sophomore. With a couple more years to dominate TN wrestling.

Who would be considered the most feared or intimidating wrestler ever from Tennessee. The one kid, maybe here I should say MAN that no one wanted to wrestle. Either it be their style, attitude, or just total dominance or competitors?

PK---if you were to add sheer size to your qualifications, I would offer the late Ronald Hale, 320 lbs-plus heavyweight for Peal Cohn back in the late 70s. Rumor has it that he is one of the reasons we have a 285 limit on heavyweight now-----back in his day it was unlimited. If the match was no longer in doubt there were some smaller 230 lb-ish heavyweights who would go out, shake his hand and then go sit down, giving him a forfeit rather than risk injury if he fell on you, which was his basic move. I know one guy who wrestled and was pinned by him ( his coach's last words of advice to him as he headed onto the mat were " have fun" )---he said that he looked like the Wicked Witch of the East in the movie Wizard of Oz when the house fell on her and all you could see were her ruby red slippers-----all you could see of him was his wrestling shoes sticking out from underneath Hale.

But, for your other qualifications, I would go old school and say that John Hannah of Baylor would have to be considered a candidate for this honor.

I think Hale was from Maplewood. In the same era, you had Zippy Brown of Franklin, and Clifford Abernathy was from Pearl (there was no Pearl Cohn at that time). They were all upper 290's, but Hale was the monster.

Back in the early 70's, Mike Green from Glencliff was a two time state champ, around 220. He looked 40 years old, but incredible strength and speed. He had about six stray hairs on his bald head.

Tywan Armstrong from Franklin (back in the Jeff Jordan Franklin High days) was a devastating two timer at 171 and 189 I think. Cut out of granite.

I dont see too many people jumping into the 215 pound weight class this year.

Agree about Lennon. He used to beat himself up before the match. You know he didn't care anything about you. Who was the Gorham at Ryan that had the rep for bar fights in high school. He was very intimidating. There was a smaller Cheatham County champ parading in the locker room before matches. He was good and tough and the parading was unnerving.