#1 GLEASON @ BRADFORD (THURSDAY)

daroundball

daroundball,

I agree with your summary of the game. The turning point was like you said the technical foul, she is capable of that almost anytime. Wallsmith was not a factor until the 4th quarter and then she probably scored 12 points or more in the 4th quarter. Coach Eddings did a good job to keep it close until the technical. You saw who had the clipboard on timeouts and made alot of calls, Randy Frazier. This is still his team and he makes a big difference.

Back to our earlier post in this thread, I think it was evident tonight that Gleason has more of a team concept than Bradford. When you have one girl that tries to do everything its hard to compete with a team that has five players. Thats all that I will say.

Two good teams and a good ballgame.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

daroundball,

I agree with your summary of the game. The turning point was like you said the technical foul, she is capable of that almost anytime. Wallsmith was not a factor until the 4th quarter and then she probably scored 12 points or more in the 4th quarter. Coach Eddings did a good job to keep it close until the technical. You saw who had the clipboard on timeouts and made alot of calls, Randy Frazier. This is still his team and he makes a big difference.

Back to our earlier post in this thread, I think it was evident tonight that Gleason has more of a team concept than Bradford. When you have one girl that tries to do everything its hard to compete with a team that has five players. Thats all that I will say.

Two good teams and a good ballgame.

I AGREE WITH YOU THAT BRADFORD DOES NOT THINK TEAM BALL. IF YOU LOOK AT MOST OF MY POSTS YOU WILL SEE I SAY THE TEAM LIKES TO WATCH WALSMITH SHOOT. COMBS AND STREET ARE THE BEST TWO 3 POINT SHOOTERS ON THE TEAM AFTER WALSMITH. FRAZIER WOULD LEAVE COMBS WIDE OPEN AT THE 3 POINT LINE. COMBS WOULD NOT SHOOT IT. STREET WAS THE SAME WAY. EVERY TEAM OUT THERE WILL TAKE THE SHOT WHEN OPEN, NOT SURE IF IT IS THE COACH OR THE PLAYERS. IT HAS BEEN 100 YEARS, BUT MY COACH WOULD HAVE ME RUN FOR MILES IF I DID NOT TAKE THE OPEN SHOT. I DO FEEL THE COMBS T STOPPED BRADFORD IN THEIR TRACKS. SHE HAD BLOCKED SEVERAL SHOTS, TOOK A CHARGE, DID ALL THE LITTLE THINGS YOU WON'T SEE IN THE JACKSON SUN. WALSMITH HAD A VERY BAD NIGHT FROM THE LINE (MUCH WORSE THAN THE POST ABOVE STATES), BUT IF YOU PLAY SPORTS YOU WILL HAVE A NIGHT LIKE SHE HAD. I DO NOT THINK BRADFORD IS DONE, BUT IF THE COACH CAN NOT GET COMBS AND STREET TO SHOOT THE OPEN SHOT THEY NEED TO CALL IT A DAY. :roflol::evil::D

I will agree totally with all these post. Like I stated earlier, great exciting game... as always. :popcorneater: Wallsmith had a really bad night for Bradford, but I suppose every player has off nights. I don't know why Bradford isn't shooting the ball, but I agree completely that it will shut them down in the future if someone (players or coach) doesn't figure this out. It should be very interesting to see what the future holds for all these teams.

Out of curiosity... I have seen several comments on Frazier doing the coaching. I am not sure if this is meant to be a good or bad thing. My question is, how does his precense and demanding power over the team affect the new coach at Gleason? Is the coach not capable of doing the coaching? Why is Frazier still needed. I completely understand Frazier's abilities as a coach, but I would think it would step on the head coach's toes for his own team to follow the lead of Frazier instead of him. Obviously, Frazier wins games and he always has, but I just wondered what others thoughts on this topic were. I did not actually understand the entire situtation, so I thought asking on here would be my best option.

Bradford is a good team with one major problem. It appears anyway that every time they turn it over or there is a shot at the opponent getting a fast break, Bradford for some reason thinks they have to foul. Wallsmith was in foul trouble because of silly fouls that she can not continue to make if Bradford wants to be playing in late Feb. and early March. There are definitely times when those fouls have to be made, but not every time and especially not in the 1st quarter. You must play with more poise and discipline. If Bradford continues playing this way, they will end up meeting Gleason in the 1st round of the region tourney. What a game that would be huh?

Gleason is 2-1 against quality competition. Not sure if beating up on 13A will be beneficial for them or not. We will see. I am looking forward to Monday night.

Out of curiosity... I have seen several comments on Frazier doing the coaching. I am not sure if this is meant to be a good or bad thing. My question is, how does his precense and demanding power over the team affect the new coach at Gleason? Is the coach not capable of doing the coaching? Why is Frazier still needed. I completely understand Frazier's abilities as a coach, but I would think it would step on the head coach's toes for his own team to follow the lead of Frazier instead of him. Obviously, Frazier wins games and he always has, but I just wondered what others thoughts on this topic were. I did not actually understand the entire situtation, so I thought asking on here would be my best option.

Coach Frazier is not doing the coaching. I believe he is considered a volunteer coach...But he is keeping stats, yes he does have his inputs but in the end Coach Ayers has the final word.. Coach Frazier is well respected by all of the girls and i suppose it's hard after being a coach for so long to really get out of the habit of it. I don't feel that Coach Ayers thinks of it as stepping on his toes, he was the assistant coach and now head coach and it's new to him being in those shoes, (as head Coach). So he is learning and he is learning in my opinion from the best. Also take into consideration that Coach Frazier has had most of these girls from 5th grade, and his daughter being one of them. He is and has always been just as tough on her as he was the rest of the girls. Coach Ayers has his own style of coaching and sometimes we (parents) may not always agree with it but it is his..And no he(Coach Frazier) may not be head coach now but the girls will always look at him as Coach Frazier but they know who their Coach is and it is Joel Ayers..Also keep in mind that Coach Frazier's daughter and niece are seniors this year, so if you were coach would you not want to be there just one more year, even if you were not the head coach?... This is a good team ..Will we see him on the side lines next year? Who knows..... :popcorneater:

Thanks for your reply. I was certainly not trying to upset anyone and I hope that I have not. I was only curious as to how everything worked out. I completely understand a team that he has built since the 5th grade respecting him and looking for his word... makes perfect sense to me. That's why I wanted someone closer to the situation to explain it. Thanks a lot.

daroundball quote:

COMBS AND STREET ARE THE BEST TWO 3 POINT SHOOTERS ON THE TEAM AFTER WALSMITH. FRAZIER WOULD LEAVE COMBS WIDE OPEN AT THE 3 POINT LINE. COMBS WOULD NOT SHOOT IT. STREET WAS THE SAME WAY.

Street played a great game last night. She is the best defensive player on the team and she also scored 9 points which may be her high for the season. I understand your point about Combs.

I DO FEEL THE COMBS T STOPPED BRADFORD IN THEIR TRACKS. SHE HAD BLOCKED SEVERAL SHOTS, TOOK A CHARGE, DID ALL THE LITTLE THINGS YOU WON'T SEE IN THE JACKSON SUN.

I see the little things and I appreciate the little things but I didnt see Combs contribute enough last night to cover for the major mistake that she made.

I DO NOT THINK BRADFORD IS DONE, BUT IF THE COACH CAN NOT GET COMBS AND STREET TO SHOOT THE OPEN SHOT THEY NEED TO CALL IT A DAY. :popcorneater::D:D

Coach Eddings has done an amazing job with this team. Remember he's got 4 players that are not freshman. For you to blame him for girls not shooting is just crazy.

daroundball quote:

COMBS AND STREET ARE THE BEST TWO 3 POINT SHOOTERS ON THE TEAM AFTER WALSMITH. FRAZIER WOULD LEAVE COMBS WIDE OPEN AT THE 3 POINT LINE. COMBS WOULD NOT SHOOT IT. STREET WAS THE SAME WAY.

Street played a great game last night. She is the best defensive player on the team and she also scored 9 points which may be her high for the season. I understand your point about Combs.

I DO FEEL THE COMBS T STOPPED BRADFORD IN THEIR TRACKS. SHE HAD BLOCKED SEVERAL SHOTS, TOOK A CHARGE, DID ALL THE LITTLE THINGS YOU WON'T SEE IN THE JACKSON SUN.

I see the little things and I appreciate the little things but I didnt see Combs contribute enough last night to cover for the major mistake that she made and will make again.

I DO NOT THINK BRADFORD IS DONE, BUT IF THE COACH CAN NOT GET COMBS AND STREET TO SHOOT THE OPEN SHOT THEY NEED TO CALL IT A DAY. :D:popcorneater::D

Coach Eddings has done an amazing job with this team. Remember he's got 4 players that are not freshman. For you to blame him for girls not shooting is just crazy.

ONCE AGAIN GREENFIELD FAN YOU TRY TO PUT WORDS IN PEOPLES MOUTH. I CAN TELL YOU ARE A TROUBLE MAKER SO I WILL NOT RESPOND TO YOUR AGAIN AFTER THIS (SO MAKE UP WHAT YOU MUST). FIRST STREET IS THE BEST GUARD DEFENDER, COMBS GETS ALL THE BIG GIRLS. SECOND COMBS MADE A HUGE MISTAKE BUT THE GAME WINNING SHOT SHE HIT THE FIRST TIME MAY MAKE UP FOR THAT SOME. AND FOR YOU TO JUDGE A CHILD AND SAY SHE WILL DO IT AGAIN SHOWS YOU LEVEL. THIRD I NEVER SAID COACH EDDINGS WAS THE CAUSE OF THE GIRLS NOT SHOOTING, WHAT I SAID WAS HE NEEDS TO PUSH THEM TO TAKE THE OPEN SHOTS. EDDINGS HAS DONE A GREAT JOB. HE ONLY HAS TWO RETURNING STARTERS IN WALSMITH AND COMBS. AND TWO OTHER RETURNING PLAYERS IN STREET AND BRATTON, THAT IS A HUGH JOB TO TAKE ON. AND CHECK THE SCORES BRADFORD DID WHAT I SAID AND THEY HAD 4 PLAYERS IN DOUBLE FIGURES (BRATTON, COMBS, STREET, AND WALSMITH) IN THAT ORDER I THINK. THE GIRLS MUST HAVE READ MY POST BECAUSE THEY TOOK THE OPEN SHOTS AGAINST UNION CITY TONIGHT.