MJ Lady Bears hold Portland scoreless in 2nd half

SCBisondad

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They likely led by 35+ at the half so the clock was going basically non-stop in the second half. This probably happens, or nearly happens, a lot since the clock rule took effect in Tennessee.

I don't like the rule-and the team here has been on both sides of it this year-it takes away playing time from reserves who may normally only see action in jv games.

I was told by a person who attended the game that MJ was up 46 - 9 at the half, which would match the earlier post of a 35+ point lead then. I was also told that for a while during the second half, MJ continued to press, and that it was into the 4th quarter before Coach Fryer emptied his bench. If that's true, that's way beyond shameful.

If any of you were there and can add an eye witness account, please do.

My team has been on the end of one of those Mt. Juliet beatings. They play the first half the way they want to play, regardless of the score, and that is the correct thing to do in my opinion. The second half usually finds Mt. Juliet playing a 2-3 zone, though it is still a decent zone. Portland is not a good shooting team, and if they were having an off night, it does not surprise me that they were not able to score.

I will speak for MJ and say they do not run up the score... they simply play the game. I would bet there was no press at all in the second half, and that the bench got a lot of playing time after half. Some people may not like Fryer, but he is very classy when it comes to his game management against vastly inferior teams, and that is something I respect.

>>> Not true. He started subbing in the second qtr. Plus, the clock does not actually run until the 4th quarter under the new rule. What suggestions do you have when this situation occurs? It is obviously not beneficial to either team, but what do you do? <<<

Personally, I don't have any ties to either program, I just hope that someone who has that much talent shows class, especially in a blowout game. I asked around about this last night to some MJ people who were there to get another perspective and was told that Fryer did continue to press in the 3rd quarter, and that he did not play his entire bench. Girls that have normally played the final minutes of other blowouts did not play in this game that ended 71 to 9. Everybody subs in the first half to give starters some rest, but in a 65-point win you don't play everyone? Really?

Suggestions? Easy. Don't press in the second half when you're already up by 35 points. Play your youngest, least experienced players extensively, which gives them game experience they seldom get. Show your players, supporters, and opponent that you won't take advantage of a team that's having a horrible night. Yes, your girls still play the game, but you don't ever humiliate. Either way, you prove what kind of class you have.

No, I wasn't there, so I can only go on what people that I trust have told me. Usually the truth sits somewhere in the middle, but if any of that is true, that's really shameful.

My team has been on the end of one of those Mt. Juliet beatings. They play the first half the way they want to play, regardless of the score, and that is the correct thing to do in my opinion. The second half usually finds Mt. Juliet playing a 2-3 zone, though it is still a decent zone. Portland is not a good shooting team, and if they were having an off night, it does not surprise me that they were not able to score.

I will speak for MJ and say they do not run up the score... they simply play the game. I would bet there was no press at all in the second half, and that the bench got a lot of playing time after half. Some people may not like Fryer, but he is very classy when it comes to his game management against vastly inferior teams, and that is something I respect.

Please MJ spokes person - define running up the score

>>> Not true. He started subbing in the second qtr. Plus, the clock does not actually run until the 4th quarter under the new rule. What suggestions do you have when this situation occurs? It is obviously not beneficial to either team, but what do you do? <<<

Personally, I don't have any ties to either program, I just hope that someone who has that much talent shows class, especially in a blowout game. I asked around about this last night to some MJ people who were there to get another perspective and was told that Fryer did continue to press in the 3rd quarter, and that he did not play his entire bench. Girls that have normally played the final minutes of other blowouts did not play in this game that ended 71 to 9. Everybody subs in the first half to give starters some rest, but in a 65-point win you don't play everyone? Really?

Suggestions? Easy. Don't press in the second half when you're already up by 35 points. Play your youngest, least experienced players extensively, which gives them game experience they seldom get. Show your players, supporters, and opponent that you won't take advantage of a team that's having a horrible night. Yes, your girls still play the game, but you don't ever humiliate. Either way, you prove what kind of class you have.

No, I wasn't there, so I can only go on what people that I trust have told me. Usually the truth sits somewhere in the middle, but if any of that is true, that's really shameful.

Let me ask you something based on the following. MJ has 4 games left before tournament play starts. They've won the last 5 games by 62, 37, 33, 34 and 27 points. In each of these games Williams and Bell have been on the bench for most of the second quarter, then most of the second half. This has nothing to do with class, this has everything to do with getting ready for the tournament. When are they supposed to do that? In practice?

The starters want to play too, you know. They don't go out there and do all that hard work in the off season just so they can play 2 quarters a night do they? Is that what you really want? Fryer has played the bench more this year than I've ever seen before.

You can take it back even further. Since the beginning of January, they've only had one single digit game. Nine point win against Beech. I don't know where you draw the line, but imo, the starters need to be playing some minutes.

You tell me what you would do.

Please MJ spokes person - define running up the score

I don't call running up the score only putting up 29 points in a second half when you are more than capable of scoring near 50. Especially when you start to dig into your bench, you can't tell those kids to not shoot.

The other team's inability to score does not classify as running up the score in my book. If they pressed in the second half then that is unfortunate, but MJ beat my team by 41 and 37, and at no point did I feel like they were running it up. Between 60 and 70 is an average scoring night for them, so no, I don't call that running up the score.