Now maybe change of ORDER!!!

PUMMELKING

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that would be great if Vince Aguillar gets to go this weekend. I thought there was no way he would be able to wrestle again this year after witnessing his injury. Good Luck Mr. Aguillar! terminator.gif

I talked to the heavier Aguilar last night. He, in fact, is taping it up and planning on wrestling this weekend. :thumb:

There are many states that hold their state duals after the individuals. I will choose Illinois as an example. They had their individual regionals 2/5-2/6. They keep team points at each regional and the team point winner then gets to go to Sectional duals.

From IHSA website:

Advancement (Teams)

The team scoring the most points at the Individual Regional will advance to the Team Sectional at sites determined by the IHSA. Four (4) teams will compete in each of four Sectionals in each class. There will be no sectional champion. Eight (8) teams shall compete in each of the three (3) classes. A random draw determines the sectional pairings and the State Final pairings.

Last year was the first year for IL to go to a 3 class system, based soley on school enrollment, but as far as how the system works individual regions to dual tournaments, it has been the same for a long time, even when IL was only a 2 class system.

I also realize IL has a lot more regions than TN, but this system is brought forward as an example of how TSSAA could implement this with a few changes, such as top 3 teams go to a sectional or directly to state duals.

But they always hold the duals after the individual state. IL traditional state is the same weekend as TN 2/19-2/20 and IL State duals will be held 2/27.

Following more of this logic, since it is an individual sport, (know this will never happen in TN) but re-organize the classes/divisions into A for small schools; AA for every school above a certain enrollment figure. Yes I am saying to eliminate the current division 1 and 2 system. End result would be a true State champion, team wise the small schools would have theirs and all the powerhouses could finally end over a decade worth of argument. But this may too complicated for the TSSAA lawyers too see the forest through the trees.

In IL, the Chicago area alone is full of private schools and many of them are wrestling powerhouses, but nobody up their complains about it, they just wrestle.

I know several coaches who have talked about the Indiv. State to be seperated by points, still wrestle together but keep small totals and large totals.

But heck why not do like rest of TSSAA have A, AA, AAA, AAAA--all D1 and D2--A, AA

Then after the state have all individual placers 1-4 in another tournament to decide the best of TN.

Following more of this logic, since it is an individual sport, (know this will never happen in TN) but re-organize the classes/divisions into A for small schools; AA for every school above a certain enrollment figure. Yes I am saying to eliminate the current division 1 and 2 system. End result would be a true State champion, team wise the small schools would have theirs and all the powerhouses could finally end over a decade worth of argument. But this may too complicated for the TSSAA lawyers too see the forest through the trees.

In IL, the Chicago area alone is full of private schools and many of them are wrestling powerhouses, but nobody up their complains about it, they just wrestle.

Actually, Illinois has a multiplier (1.65), not just for privates, but also for public magnet schools. Driven more by football and basketball than by wrestling, as you can imagine. I like Illinois' setup in a lot of ways (in particular their variant on scoring byes), but the idea of deciding entries to a dual-meet tournament by an individual tournament is a bit silly, and the "previous decision" rule in consolation semifinals is just absurd.

silverpie wrote "but the idea of deciding entries to a dual-meet tournament by an individual tournament is a bit silly, "

How is this silly?

If you have a team full of individuals that are good enough to place in regionals, then that will be reflected in the team points. The top 3 individuals for each weight then go on to sectionals. The school that wins the regional will compete in the duals.

I fail to find any sillyness in that at all.

If you cannot compete individually in your own region, as a team you will not compete in dual state, because most would be blown out of the water in a dual anyway.

How does this not make perfect sense to you?

Having the dual state after individual would make for a weeker dual tourny.Most of the seasons excitement would be over and fewer people would be interested in the state duals.Some Nortern(ILL.) teams have trouble keeping wrestlers after individual state ends.After there individual chance at a medal ends many of the seniors quit and don't wrestle in the state duals.I've seen alot of injury's before the state duals heal in time for individual state even if they kept a wrestler from particapating in the duals.It seems there is no easy answer but switching dual and individual order would be a mistake.

shootfirst wrote "Having the dual state after individual would make for a weeker dual tourny.Most of the seasons excitement would be over and fewer people would be interested in the state duals.Some Nortern(ILL.) teams have trouble keeping wrestlers after individual state ends.After there individual chance at a medal ends many of the seniors quit and don't wrestle in the state duals."

First, I would like to know which Illinois teams have trouble keeping wrestlers. I have never seen this as an issue in IL. If you have dedicated kids, especially seniors, they want to win dual state more than anyone else. For most seniors it is their last time they will ever wrestle competitively. Very few go on to wrestle in college.

If you have kids on a team, that are not dedicated, committed to the program, 9 times out of ten those same kids will not be on varsity to begin with.

If the desire is there to win a state championship and that goal is set at the beginning of the season, the drive to an individual title is then translated into going further to a dual title with all your committed teammates.