AAA Poll---Bearden/Overton ahead of Southwind??? ROFL

BallerGuru

Memphis has five of the top six spots, what else do you want. Everyone knows how good Memphis bball is, but seriously there are quality teams all across the state and if you are having a great season then you should get some recognition in the polls. Support Memphis, thats great, but it gets old year after year hearing the Memphis people down the rest of the state. If I remember right, Clarkesville NE gave White Station all they wanted last year, didn't win, but definitely had a chance. You people make it sound like Memphis teams win all their state tourny games by 20+ every year. Their is unbelievable talent in Memphis and some great teams, but a little humility would be really refreshing.

Hoosier,

Your point is well taken and, for the record, I happen to agree with the essence of your comments.

You probably know that I'm a Memphis fan. Yet, I am not here to boast or brag about our teams or defend anybody's position. I just want to extend to you -- a friendly reminder that many fans do that sort of stuff all the time, in all sports (especially HS Football and Basketball) and in every part of our State. It's just human nature, right or wrong. You only need to wade back thru this CoachT website to quickly verify this.

So, please remember-- try to relax and not let that sort of stuff get you too hot under the collar! I know its not always easy to do.... I know the feeling--trust me. At the end of the day, though, just try to remember to take it for what its worth. :popcorneater:

Have a great day. :thumb:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Trader B. There are some good teams around the state, Memphis has more population that most of the other areas in the state and seems to always have several really good teams each year. Bearden has a solid team this year in Knoxville, but just doesn't have the size that it did last year to compete at the state level this year - in my opinion. They do have 4 or 5 really talented guards, but no real inside presence. Look forward to tourney time!

Well said Trader B. There are some good teams around the state, Memphis has more population that most of the other areas in the state and seems to always have several really good teams each year. Bearden has a solid team this year in Knoxville, but just doesn't have the size that it did last year to compete at the state level this year - in my opinion. They do have 4 or 5 really talented guards, but no real inside presence. Look forward to tourney time!

Yeah-- a big population (and "open enrollment," to be frank) always helps, statistically...

Bearden always seems to have a solid team and make it to the 'Boro. Their lack of size, however, will make it awfully tough for them to compete for 4 quarters vs bigger teams @ State, especially if those other teams have equally talented guards.

Until State, I expect we will still see quite a few upsets during District and Regional tournaments. Many so-called "favorites" (all over) often find themselves not even making it to the 'Boro! So, it's definitely an accomplishment just to even get there, something to be proud of...

Yeah-- a big population (and "open enrollment," to be frank) always helps, statistically...

Bearden always seems to have a solid team and make it to the 'Boro. Their lack of size, however, will make it awfully tough for them to compete for 4 quarters vs bigger teams @ State, especially if those other teams have equally talented guards.

Until State, I expect we will still see quite a few upsets during District and Regional tournaments. Many so-called "favorites" (all over) often find themselves not even making it to the 'Boro! So, it's definitely an accomplishment just to even get there, something to be proud of...

I don't understand why anyone would take these post personal... They are strictly based on opinion(the west is usually right) Lmao! Trader hit me on the e-mail natebuntyn@hotmail.com

I understand what the world of message boards is and believe me I don't lose any sleep over it. I just remember the days (and Im not that old) when people showed respect to their opponents. Swagger is great and great teams have it, but arrogance gets old. I feel the same way about the East & Middle Tn people during football. As my screen name suggest, I am one that definitely believes anything is possible in a one game winner take all tournament style. It would be nice to root for some of the great Memphis teams at the tournament, but their fans make it awfully hard sometimes. The final 8 is an amazing accomplishment wherever you come from. Good luck to all and I hope the best make it so we can have a great tournament. Whats funny is the ones running their mouth usually never even laced them up.

It would also be nice if people would give the Memphis teams credit instead of insinuating they are just street ballers that aren't well coached. Both of those points are TOTAL BS.

What I don't like is the fact that 4 of the best teams in the entire country will be setting home and not going to the state tournament while other teams coast into the state tournament. I'm talking about AAA. But it is what it is.

I would also point out that the rest of the state is probably represented 10 to 1 on this board over Memphis fans.

It would also be nice if people would give the Memphis teams credit instead of insinuating they are just street ballers that aren't well coached. Both of those points are TOTAL BS.

What I don't like is the fact that 4 of the best teams in the entire country will be setting home and not going to the state tournament while other teams coast into the state tournament. I'm talking about AAA. But it is what it is.

I would also point out that the rest of the state is probably represented 10 to 1 on this board over Memphis fans.

:popcorneater:

I agree completely. I think the purpose of these boards should be to celebrate high school athletics, not tear down high school athletes. I commented that I didnt agree with East and Middle during football also. I also understand the frustration with good teams being left home, but that is part of it. What is a possible soultion to that problem? Also if you are not good enough to win your Region or Substate game, wherever it is, are you really deserving of going ot the STATE tournament?

Personally I think expanding the state tourney to 16 would really help. Most years 4 teams from the Memphis area are deserving or could win state. I can't speak for other areas, but I think it would assure that the best teams are really there.

How exactly are you thinking of making that work? what i mean by that is: are you talking about taking out sub-state and playing 2 from each region or keeping sub-state and making it #4 from say Region 8 vs. #1 from Region 7 & #3 from Region 7 vs. #2 from Region 8 (you get the picture) and the winners of those games go on to play at state?