District 14a Tourneys

west15

I also don't think it was Lake co's speed that beat us

I don't really see how my comment on Humboldt factors into this discussion. I was replying to someone who said that Humboldt would be dangerous in the tournament. Humboldt is a good team, but they are not a dangerous team. You cant compare Humboldt to Lake Co. It is not even close.

Huff..I just read this post you wrote on the 15A thread.I didn't want to respond to this on their thread but I think the speed of Lake Co was the difference last night.Not so much on the offensive end as the defense side of the ball.Lake Co had Greenfield away from the basket,Jordan and Katie along with the guards trying to make things happen.I thought they took Greenfield out of their rhythm and didn't let them get the shots they wanted..Matthews has been shooting good most of the year..Against Trenton and Union City especially.Believe she made about 5 in a row or close to that in those games.And as far as Humboldt.I just hope you're right.Humboldt looked pretty darn good last night and if Hubbard and King shoot like that..may be a good game.And Humboldt really pound the boards.Never know in a 1 game scenario.Anyway.I hope Lake Co and Greenfield meet again..That means we both would have met our goals ..at least for the moment..If not..then one of us or maybe both didn't achieve what we'd hoped.I think both teams have the talent to be in the region finals.We have some good teams in our district.If the other teams had seen Bradford and Humboldt last night..they would have to realize that.Both our teams can go far if they play like they are capaple.Lake Co has aonly lost to 1 Single A team so far and have played extremely well all year..There were a few games that they werent particulary sharp..But since Christmas..have looked very good .I havent seen the teams from the other district but I believe yall have played Dresden along with Gleason.I have seen Gleason.And from the score of the Dresden game..All our teams should have a great chance along with Gleason from that district..So..looks to probably be Lake Co-Humboldt if things fall into place and Greenfield against Gleason or Bradford..Good luck in the tournament.I'm still rooting for Greenfield and Lake Co..If not Greenfield..then Bradford..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't think it was Lake co's speed that beat us

I don't really see how my comment on Humboldt factors into this discussion. I was replying to someone who said that Humboldt would be dangerous in the tournament. Humboldt is a good team, but they are not a dangerous team. You cant compare Humboldt to Lake Co. It is not even close.

Huff..I just read this post you wrote on the 15A thread.I didn't want to respond to this on their thread but I think the speed of Lake Co was the difference last night.Not so much on the offensive end as the defense side of the ball.Lake Co had Greenfield away from the basket,Jordan and Katie along with the guards trying to make things happen.I thought they took Greenfield out of their rhythm and didn't let them get the shots they wanted..Matthews has been shooting good most of the year..Against Trenton and Union City especially.Believe she made about 5 in a row or close to that in those games.And as far as Humboldt.I just hope you're right.Humboldt looked pretty darn good last night and if Hubbard and King shoot like that..may be a good game.And Humboldt really pound the boards.Never know in a 1 game scenario.Anyway.I hope Lake Co and Greenfield meet again..That means we both would have met our goals ..at least for the moment..If not..then one of us or maybe both didn't achieve what we'd hoped.I think both teams have the talent to be in the region finals.We have some good teams in our district.If the other teams had seen Bradford and Humboldt last night..they would have to realize that.Both our teams can go far if they play like they are capaple.Lake Co has aonly lost to 1 Single A team so far and have played extremely well all year..There were a few games that they werent particulary sharp..But since Christmas..have looked very good .I havent seen the teams from the other district but I believe yall have played Dresden along with Gleason.I have seen Gleason.And from the score of the Dresden game..All our teams should have a great chance along with Gleason from that district..So..looks to probably be Lake Co-Humboldt if things fall into place and Greenfield against Gleason or Bradford..Good luck in the tournament.I'm still rooting for Greenfield and Lake Co..If not Greenfield..then Bradford..

I agree that Lake Co's speed on defense did affect us, but it in my opinion it was the outside shooting that won the game. If your 2 girls aren't hot like they were, the speed would not have been as noticeable plus if they weren't hitting then you guys would not have been able to set up the press so much. I am not trying to downplay the speed, but it does not catch us off guard.

I am not sure if Humboldt is as quick as you guys are but they are pretty quick and we have seen them and you guys a total of 6 times. So we have an idea about the speed. I don't this for a fact, but I would believe that your shooting pct was higher last night than any other time we have faced you guys.

What beat Greenfield the other night in the district tourney championship was that Greenfield was as cold shooting as I've ever seen them. Our girls couldnt buy a bucket. And, Lake Co. couldnt miss. That was the story.

Yes, Lake Co. played a great game. Yes, Lake Co. has great speed, and you have to deal with that when you play them. But, the Greenfield girls did not play their game the other night. I dont know what happened to them, but they did not play their game, and they could not hit. They had open shots all night, and they could not knock them down.

Hopefully, Bigster, Lake Co. and Greenfield will play again! :flower:

The Humboldt-Bradford game was a great game. Both of those teams were as hot as fire crackers.

If I was looking at the all District team correctly....with Wallsmith being called out before Galey...then, Galey got more votes for MVP of the District than Wallsmith did!?!? Is that correct? That was a little surprising to me. Galey is a great ballplayer, and I like her, and she's from Greenfield; but I really thought that the MVP race was between Wallsmith and TT Flowers, with Flowers getting the nod due to their better record and winning the district. Maybe that's also why Galey finished ahead of Wallsmith... our record. I dont know.

One more thing, and then I'll shut up. I think District 14A will sweep 13A in the first round of the regionals...with Bradford getting a very hardfought win over Gleason at Gleason. That should be the best game of the night.

What beat Greenfield the other night in the district tourney championship was that Greenfield was as cold shooting as I've ever seen them. Our girls couldnt buy a bucket. And, Lake Co. couldnt miss. That was the story.

Yes, Lake Co. played a great game. Yes, Lake Co. has great speed, and you have to deal with that when you play them. But, the Greenfield girls did not play their game the other night. I dont know what happened to them, but they did not play their game, and they could not hit. They had open shots all night, and they could not knock them down.

Hopefully, Bigster, Lake Co. and Greenfield will play again! :lol:

The Humboldt-Bradford game was a great game. Both of those teams were as hot as fire crackers.

If I was looking at the all District team correctly....with Wallsmith being called out before Galey...then, Galey got more votes for MVP of the District than Wallsmith did!?!? Is that correct? That was a little surprising to me. Galey is a great ballplayer, and I like her, and she's from Greenfield; but I really thought that the MVP race was between Wallsmith and TT Flowers, with Flowers getting the nod due to their better record and winning the district. Maybe that's also why Galey finished ahead of Wallsmith... our record. I dont know.

One more thing, and then I'll shut up. I think District 14A will sweep 13A in the first round of the regionals...with Bradford getting a very hardfought win over Gleason at Gleason. That should be the best game of the night.

VOLLY,

Maybe the reason Greenfield didnt play "their" game was that LC put more defensive pressure on them than they did in the previous meetings.....Maybe the reason Greenfield was "cold" shooting had somethin to do with the tremendous pressure LC put on them.....just my take!!!!! I dont think ya give the other team enough credit....also in your post on the 15a thread you said TT won bc of better record.....incorrect she is the better player...teams have to gameplan to stop her just as they do the others.....and TT is not just a great "athlete" it is offensive to say she is a great athlete and not a great basketball player as well......she would only be half the player she is if not for the DISCIPLINE, WORK ETHIC, AND ATTITUDE of not just TT but all the LC girls......and...TT will be a great one because her head is on straight...she makes excellent grades....student government....etc., etc......TT and the rest of LC girls basketball work as hard and prolly harder than most in the state at being great basketball players.....when the season is over....they will play travel ball and work at their craft ALL spring and summer!!!!! So, give credit where it is due!!!!! Dont throw those little DISCLAIMER'S in there such as "IF" she can keep her head straight....btw....did you see the academic all americans LC girls had....2 out of 3 seniors with the third barely missing it........the rest of the girls have the same type of grades!!!!!! Last, a question......why is it that when it is a player from Greenfield, Gleason, or Bradford are they a great basketball player....while if the girl is from Lake County.....she is just a great athlete......or when a team from Gleason, Bradford, or Greenfield is good the coach is a great coach....but if the team from Lake County is good they have got a bunch of "athletes".........just food for thought....VOLLY it seems from some of your posts...past and present.....that this seems to be your mindset.......

sbl

SBL,

You obviously have misread what I have written in many, many ways. First of all, Greenfield didnt play their game. Greenfield did play their game at Greenfield against Lake Co., and beat them. I do believe that I said that Lake Co. played a great game...did I not??? That's not giving the other team enough credit? in your opinion??? And, will you not admit that the Lady Jackets were cold in shooting? I saw a lot of wide open 3's not go down. I saw a lot of other shots that just didnt fall. Yall's girls were hot, couldnt miss, especially from 3 point land. That's just what happened. I believe that I also talked about Lake Co.'s athleticism and speed being something that you have to deal with when playing yall. Right? Goodness gracious.

Also, about TT Flowers, I believe I said that I thought the MVP race was between Wallsmith and Flowers. They are both great basketball players, and both of them were deserving of the MVP of the district. I do think...that given the closeness of how good both of these girls are...that the nod was given to TT Flowers due to her team having more success. As in...maybe that's why people thought that TT was a little bit better than Molly, because TT's team did better...she led her team to a better record. What in the world is wrong with saying that? and, why would you consider that a put down of TT Flowers????? If you'll read what I wrote...and take off your Falcon colored glasses...you'll see that I also said that I was surprised that Galey(a Greenfield girl, BTW) finished ahead of Molly in the MVP voting. Galey is a very good ball player, but I was surprised by this....and MAYBE IT WAS BECAUSE GREENFIELD HAD A BETTER RECORD is also why she finished above Molly; because Molly is a very good basketball player, and is a senior. Will you say that she's a good player?

Also, the comment about TT Flowers having potential, and could go far...if she keeps her head on straight and works hard....is a comment I make about anyone who has potential. I was not saying anything about TT personally. I dont know TT. But, I have seen many great athletes, in whatever sport they play, that had tons of potential and ability, but they didnt go as far as they could have. Why? Because they got into trouble with the law...or they started taking drugs...or they wouldnt work at it...or they made terrible grades, and would flunk out of school....and a host of other things that would make one say,"They didnt keep their head on straight." I'd imagine that you know some great athletes like this? Dont you? In fact, I can think of some from Lake Co. that this would fit. Correct? They were great football players, but they didnt make it in college due to ????

Also, you seem to be implying that I'm saying racist remarks with the athlete vs. ballplayer thing. And, because I said the thing about TT having great potential if... Dont even go there, Dude. You are way off base....way off base. Man, I get sick of hearing this kind of stuff. It's starting to really get on my nerves in a real bad way. With some people, everythings about race....overly sensitive about everything you say and write....trying to dissect every word and sentence to death...to try to make some racial thing out of it. Dude, dont even talk to me about this kind of stuff, because this will be the last time that I talk about race with you. If you bring up the race card with me again, I will not answer you. I will ignore your statements.

BTW, my name is not Volly....it's Volfan007.

SBL,

You obviously have misread what I have written in many, many ways. First of all, Greenfield didnt play their game. Greenfield did play their game at Greenfield against Lake Co., and beat them. I do believe that I said that Lake Co. played a great game...did I not??? That's not giving the other team enough credit? in your opinion??? And, will you not admit that the Lady Jackets were cold in shooting? I saw a lot of wide open 3's not go down. I saw a lot of other shots that just didnt fall. Yall's girls were hot, couldnt miss, especially from 3 point land. That's just what happened. I believe that I also talked about Lake Co.'s athleticism and speed being something that you have to deal with when playing yall. Right? Goodness gracious.

Also, about TT Flowers, I believe I said that I thought the MVP race was between Wallsmith and Flowers. They are both great basketball players, and both of them were deserving of the MVP of the district. I do think...that given the closeness of how good both of these girls are...that the nod was given to TT Flowers due to her team having more success. As in...maybe that's why people thought that TT was a little bit better than Molly, because TT's team did better...she led her team to a better record. What in the world is wrong with saying that? and, why would you consider that a put down of TT Flowers????? If you'll read what I wrote...and take off your Falcon colored glasses...you'll see that I also said that I was surprised that Galey(a Greenfield girl, BTW) finished ahead of Molly in the MVP voting. Galey is a very good ball player, but I was surprised by this....and MAYBE IT WAS BECAUSE GREENFIELD HAD A BETTER RECORD is also why she finished above Molly; because Molly is a very good basketball player, and is a senior. Will you say that she's a good player?

Also, the comment about TT Flowers having potential, and could go far...if she keeps her head on straight and works hard....is a comment I make about anyone who has potential. I was not saying anything about TT personally. I dont know TT. But, I have seen many great athletes, in whatever sport they play, that had tons of potential and ability, but they didnt go as far as they could have. Why? Because they got into trouble with the law...or they started taking drugs...or they wouldnt work at it...or they made terrible grades, and would flunk out of school....and a host of other things that would make one say,"They didnt keep their head on straight." I'd imagine that you know some great athletes like this? Dont you? In fact, I can think of some from Lake Co. that this would fit. Correct? They were great football players, but they didnt make it in college due to ????

Also, you seem to be implying that I'm saying racist remarks with the athlete vs. ballplayer thing. And, because I said the thing about TT having great potential if... Dont even go there, Dude. You are way off base....way off base. Man, I get sick of hearing this kind of stuff. It's starting to really get on my nerves in a real bad way. With some people, everythings about race....overly sensitive about everything you say and write....trying to dissect every word and sentence to death...to try to make some racial thing out of it. Dude, dont even talk to me about this kind of stuff, because this will be the last time that I talk about race with you. If you bring up the race card with me again, I will not answer you. I will ignore your statements.

BTW, my name is not Volly....it's Volfan007.

VOLLY,

Exactly the comment I would expect from you and someone with your mindset! You may not intentionally mean your comments to be insensitive but they are.......I dont know any "athletes" from LC that didnt make it bc of "not having their head on straight"....but I know alot from Greenfield! ...........WHOAAAAAA!!!! dont get mad!!!!!! I really dont know any from Greenfield....but do you "feel" my point now!!!!!!! Anyway, the girls from LC are not mere athletes.....they are excellent BASKETBALL players..... i understand your not having to be "politically correct" rant.....BUT......come join us for a while and see what its like to always get credit for having great "athletes" and never getting credit for being great basketball players who work extremely hard almost year round!!!!!!! Then maybe you will understand OUR sensitivity to being just athletes.....

As far as Greenfield not playing their game.....maybe Lake County didnt play their game at yalls place....maybe TT finally stayed out fo foul trouble when playing yall.....maybe LC had something to do with yall not playing your game at Trenton.....and maybe yall had somethin to do with us not playin our game at yalls place.......My take......at Trenton LC played their best defensive game against yall this year......Greenfields shooters never got a chance to relax....pressure was applied continously on both ends of the floor by LC and therefore when Greenfields shooters got open they were not as accurate.......the same could be said about when we played at yalls place for our shooters!!!! Anyway, I just think it is not about a cold shooting night for either team.....but which team harrasses the other the most defensively!!!!!!!

sbl

Volfan..Do you think they called out the players in order that had the least ampount of votes?..In other words..the first player picked was the lowest votes..And T.T. getting the most?I just thought maybe these were the players picked and didn't do them in any certain order..I just thought maybe they didnt want to maybe call two Greenfield girls out in a row and the Lake Co girls out the same time..Maybe keep the suspense..You may be right I dont know..Anyway..We may as well get off the Lake Co-Greenfield bashing ..and go to the teams in District 13A...And live in harmony..lol..

I did not know it was a derogatory remark to say someone is an athlete. I think if someone is a great basketball player they are also a great athlete. I really think it is all semantics and a pretty lame excuse for an argument. I firmly believe that Lake County's speed and defensive pressure had a lot to do with Greenfield's poor shooting. How could it not? I do not think that the girls names were called out in the order of the number of votes they got. Who cares anyways, TT Flowers is the best basketball player in the district. Who cares who finished second or third in the voting? What does it matter? Let's keep the conversations on the ball games and be adults. We teach our kids bad sportsmanship when we make excuses and cry over spilled milk. Just my opinion.

For one thing, I dont like being called a racist. I'm not. And, I really dont appreciate someone implying that I am.

For another thing, Sbl, I can think of a great running back yall had...very gifted. He went to college, but didnt last a year. I heard from some people from your area that he's in a North Carolina prison. I'd say that that's a prime example of a very gifted, athlete, FOOTBALL PLAYER, who didnt have his head screwed on straight. The fella I'm thinking of could have been a very, very good college running back.

Secondly, from my hometown of Bolivar, TN...I can think of quite a few people, who were very gifted athletes, who never developed into what they could have been...due to drug use...due to not studying...due to getting the big head and not working hard...etc. It was a shame.

Thirdly, it's not a racist comment, nor was it intended to be a racist comment, to say that someone has the potential to really be something special...if they work hard and keep their nose clean, or keep their head on straight. I have said this same thing about many white athletes, who had loads of potential. But, potential is just that...it's potential. Potential is not realized until the person...black, white, Korean, Chinese, American Indian, or whatever....works hard to develop what God has given them.

TT Flowers has that kind of potential. It was a compliment that I was giving her. It was also a compliment with a warning...in case any young people are reading....that potential is not enough. Great athletic ability is not enough. Being a great high school ball player is not enough. If you want to be the best that you can be, and move upward to the college level and higher...then you have to work at it and stay out of trouble.

After saying all of that, I'll say that Lake Co. has a great team. I have said this many times thru out the year. I hope Greenfield and Lake Co. meet in the regionals.....why?...because I want beat Lake Co. so bad???? NO! Because that will mean that we both go to substate.

For one thing, I dont like being called a racist. I'm not. And, I really dont appreciate someone implying that I am.

For another thing, Sbl, I can think of a great running back yall had...very gifted. He went to college, but didnt last a year. I heard from some people from your area that he's in a North Carolina prison. I'd say that that's a prime example of a very gifted, athlete, FOOTBALL PLAYER, who didnt have his head screwed on straight. The fella I'm thinking of could have been a very, very good college running back.

Secondly, from my hometown of Bolivar, TN...I can think of quite a few people, who were very gifted athletes, who never developed into what they could have been...due to drug use...due to not studying...due to getting the big head and not working hard...etc. It was a shame.

Thirdly, it's not a racist comment, nor was it intended to be a racist comment, to say that someone has the potential to really be something special...if they work hard and keep their nose clean, or keep their head on straight. I have said this same thing about many white athletes, who had loads of potential. But, potential is just that...it's potential. Potential is not realized until the person...black, white, Korean, Chinese, American Indian, or whatever....works hard to develop what God has given them.

TT Flowers has that kind of potential. It was a compliment that I was giving her. It was also a compliment with a warning...in case any young people are reading....that potential is not enough. Great athletic ability is not enough. Being a great high school ball player is not enough. If you want to be the best that you can be, and move upward to the college level and higher...then you have to work at it and stay out of trouble.

After saying all of that, I'll say that Lake Co. has a great team. I have said this many times thru out the year. I hope Greenfield and Lake Co. meet in the regionals.....why?...because I want beat Lake Co. so bad???? NO! Because that will mean that we both go to substate.

VOLLY.

I understand your aversion to being called a racist or being insinuated to be a racist....I in no way believe that you are a racist....I just feel that some of the comments you made were taking away from what LC accomplished....kinda like saying yal did good, congratulations but....we just did this or that to give yall the game......

......Also I know many gifted athletes and football or basketball players who should be at the next level or even on sundays that didnt have the grades, attitude, work ethic or whatever it may have been to make it and it is sad.....many of these are from Lake Co......and many from many other areas!!!!!

.....my Chip on the shoulder comes from the uppity folks surronding LC who look down on the people and ball players from LC.....When i first moved to Wtn many years ago I lived in an area surronding LC and when Lc was mentioned it was in derogatory fashion towards the people of LC.....I have been in LC for many years now and the people here a just the same as the people in the surronding areas...I have been places in this area and been asked where are you from and said LC and the response was Im sorry......so when it comes to many things I will continue to have a chip in my shoulder.....and I will continue to support these fine young ladies from LCHS who in my book are the FLAGSHIP program for our school and one of the Flagship programs in west Tn!!!!!!

......the athletes comment has also been one of the derogatory comments made by many in the surronding area.....kinda goes like this.....man they got great athletes but they are a bunch of thugs.....with no discipline and not much coaching......I have heard this said!!!!!!! many times......so any time I hear the athletes comment without the basketball players added to it....i shudder bc of the previous comments involved with it....you may not mean it that way......but for people fro LC who have heard this dribble for years......that is the way it sounds!!!!!!!!!

sbl