angry in region 7

cmmndalum

I have been involved with Tennessee wrestling for 11 years now and I have never had a more frustrating day at a wrestling tournament than this Saturday. I don’t post a lot of garbage on here I prefer to keep it simple. But not after today, I’m unsure where to start. Wrestling was delayed both days. 70 minutes on Friday and 50 minutes today. West Creek High school hired an outside company to come in and run there tournament. I would defiantly be asking for those 120 minutes back. The brackets where done wrong, period, just plain wrong. Second seeded wrestlers having matches while seventh seeds have byes. That is not how you run a wrestling tournament.

Also before I get into this I have worn the stripes and have seen it from all angles. The officiating was HORRIBLE, I have never seen so many miss applications and blown calls at a high school wrestling tournament. Fleeing the mat was GROSSLY miscalled. If a wrestler is put in a near fall position and bridges of the mat to avoid near fall points it is feeling the mat. Potently dangerous calls where different all over the board. I saw one match where wrestlers where obviously in a P.D. situation. both wrestlers stopped, the ref didn't call it, one wrestlers continued the move after realized the ref wasn't stopping it for P.D. and scored a reversal to win the match. I've seen about a million cradles in my day and if the wrestler turns his back on a bow and arrow cradle you stop it for P.D. 9 out of 10 times yes. and the 10'th time the wrestler turns back over but not in one match I watched today the wrestler who turned his back into the cradle was awarded a point for an illegal hold.

Absolutely terrible atrocious and sickening I could very well go on with the refs but no need to beat a dead horse.

Last two points for anyone else still reading.

coach, don’t tell your wrestlers to tap out of a pin that’s cheating where I come from and a black eye for the sport of wrestling.

and if we are going to make a rule that drastically increases the amount of cautions given on average in a match. (the top cover cadence) make the caution scoring criteria different to account for the increased penalties. I saw way to many matches decided by cautions and Stallings. We as a sport have to make sure the outcome of a match stays in the hands of our wrestlers and not depended on the personal opinion of an official.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been involved with Tennessee wrestling for 11 years now and I have never had a more frustrating day at a wrestling tournament than this Saturday. I don’t post a lot of garbage on here I prefer to keep it simple. But not after today, I’m unsure where to start. Wrestling was delayed both days. 70 minutes on Friday and 50 minutes today. West Creek High school hired an outside company to come in and run there tournament. I would defiantly be asking for those 120 minutes back. The brackets where done wrong, period, just plain wrong. Second seeded wrestlers having matches while seventh seeds have byes. That is not how you run a wrestling tournament.

Well I have about 20 years in the sport and it was sad to see refs deciding championship matches by stalling calls in the final scds instead of grapplers deciding it on the mat. When a match is 1-1 and a grappler steps back to set up a move and there is scds left on the clock I don't think that’s stalling. I also saw something similar in a hwy wgt match earlier. Match decided by a ref, Match in overtime wrestler trying to escape and top wrestler keeping contact with him going out of bounds. Called for stalling. Coaches losing team points or threatened when they didn't agree with call. Bad really bad. :thumb: It seamed to be the same refs. It became a joke in the stands seeing how many times the same ref would cause a conflict during the match he was calling.

The Clarksville, Northwest, H'ville and a few other coaches were about to loose it. When one parent yelled "come on ref" during a late PD that injured his son, he was told " do you want to leave". I know the refs have a tough job and respect many in the sport. However, what I saw tonight made me sick. :thumb:

I have no dog in the hunt and the adults I was atanding by had no grapplers on the mats. They had the same feeling about the poor Officiating.

The last PD that rigger is referring too was NOT a PD it was in fact an ILLEGAL move. A wrestler cannot be mat returned from behind to the side of a trapped arm. It is illegal and should be stopped before it happens the first time and DEFINATLY THE SECOND TIME. This was the situation in the 130 conso semi match. The wrestler was mat returned to the side of a trapped arm twice in a five second span the first knocked him silly and the second knocked him clean out. He was wheeled out on a stretcher and backboard after this. A wrestler injury defaulting on an ILLEGAL move? Sounds like a wrestlers chances of going to state where wheeled out with him and the handbook.

Actually I never ever in my long wrestling career ever got my arm trapped on my feet. And yes Ill admit I was trolling...And I caught one. Im actually a friend of the MAJ and was expecting to hear that from him. Im just tired of the posts on here bitching about the officiating. While Ive been all around the country and seen wrestling/officiating at its finest, I really dont see that much to complain about in TN.

Side note. When you exucute a stand up and get to your feet, its usually best to have both arms clear to break your fall...or even better get away. Its very rare that I see wrestlers on bottom get free with an arm trapped.

No NF points were awarded. wrestler was turned to his back 4 feet from out of bounds, immediately bridges towards the out of bounds took two large bridges to get his shoulders out and the third large bridge took his two feet and one of his opponents feet of the mat. Neither ref called it, no discussion took place and one of the refs is widely known as buy the book or not at all...

The near fall points weren’t that important in this particular match, it just goes to show how misapplied the rule was all weekend.

The last PD that rigger is referring too was NOT a PD it was in fact an ILLEGAL move. A wrestler cannot be mat returned from behind to the side of a trapped arm. It is illegal and should be stopped before it happens the first time and DEFINATLY THE SECOND TIME. This was the situation in the 130 conso semi match. The wrestler was mat returned to the side of a trapped arm twice in a five second span the first knocked him silly and the second knocked him clean out. He was wheeled out on a stretcher and backboard after this. A wrestler injury defaulting on an ILLEGAL move? Sounds like a wrestlers chances of going to state where wheeled out with him and the handbook.

Nothing in the book that I know of that says that. Rigger is correct. It's a potentionaly dangerous situation. There is a couple of pictures of it in the book that a similar situation. It says below the pictures, "If the official feels there is potential for injury, then the match must be stopped in order to protect the defensive wrestler."

Now here is where it becomes gray area. Do we truly expect officials to stop a match a return wrestlers to the mat every time a kid executes a stand up and the offensive wrestler has wrist/arm control?

I didn't see the situation and maybe I am not getting the correct mental image of what you are describing, but from what I read, I believe I am correct.

No NF points were awarded. wrestler was turned to his back 4 feet from out of bounds, immediately bridges towards the out of bounds took two large bridges to get his shoulders out and the third large bridge took his two feet and one of his opponents feet of the mat. Neither ref called it, no discussion took place and one of the refs is widely known as buy the book or not at all...

The near fall points weren’t that important in this particular match, it just goes to show how misapplied the rule was all weekend.

There is always going to be a gray area in this situation because we can't penalize a kid for trying to get off his back. We coach kids to bridge to get off their back. Can't remember being taught to bridge in a circle but was taught to bridge and belly down to the mat. On the other hand, on offense we are taught to pull the head out when the defensive wrestler bridges.

This is one of those situations that the official is in a lose/ lose situation. If he makes the technical violation call the other half of the gym is going to be just as upset as the half that wanted the call to be made an wasn't.

If you have worn the stripes, I'm sure you have been in those situations and as you well know they are tough to call.