Please TSSAA Make the CHANGE!!!

etcoach

It has been well documented over the years about the foolish set-up of the post-season basketball tournaments. The TSSAA needs to take a little less money and do the right thing. Only take 3 teams to the Region tournament...It is so simple. This will make the consolation game mean something and keep teams from losing on purpose in order to stay out of a dominant team's bracket in the region.

District Tournament Champ gets a bye into semi-finals of Region

2 and 3 seeds play each other in first round.

Come on TSSAA....Give me one good reason besides a few dollars that keeps you guys from doing this.

No one desreves to make the Region tournament after losing 2 straight games!

Hey isn't that an idea and something that might have the possibility of the probability of being looked into and discussed at a later date. Or could be just ignored all together.. :hungry:

Why not make the psot season like Illinois. Group the teams in pods or regions. You can then realign teams in districts, according to size. Your region tournament (they can replace district tournamnets) can be played at one site. Gather 8 teams in proximity to each other and the champion moves on to super regionals (which can replace the regionals) then you move on to sectional games, then state.

For example in AAA you could have (for argument sake) the Bearden region and have the 8 closets schools: Bearden, Catholic, Farragut, Karns, Hardin Valley, West, Lenoir City, and Powell. Seed opponents by overall record and district standings. Winner moves on to Super regional which would be 4 teams, the winners of super regionals play in the sectional, winner of the sectional moves on to state. Eliminates games being stretched out and teams receiving byes. Regionals can be played in 3 days. First round games played at higher seeds gym, semi-finals and finals played at the highest remaining seeds gym. Pre-select sites for the Super regional play on Friday and Saturday. Play the Sectionals on a Tuesday. Just a thought.

It has been well documented over the years about the foolish set-up of the post-season basketball tournaments. The TSSAA needs to take a little less money and do the right thing. Only take 3 teams to the Region tournament...It is so simple. This will make the consolation game mean something and keep teams from losing on purpose in order to stay out of a dominant team's bracket in the region.

District Tournament Champ gets a bye into semi-finals of Region

2 and 3 seeds play each other in first round.

Come on TSSAA....Give me one good reason besides a few dollars that keeps you guys from doing this.

No one desreves to make the Region tournament after losing 2 straight games!

If you really wanted to cut it down you could make it a true playoff and eliminate the district tournament. Have the top 4 from each district(regular season) go to the region tournament. this actually would make the regular season mean more as you have to finish tin the top 4 just to make the playoffs. This would also eliminate two team from having to play against each other other so much i.e. Chatt arts and Sciences and Grace have played each other 3 times already and could possibly meet again in the region championship. who wants to keep playing the same team over and over again

I agree with both of your posts but I think those moves will mean FAR LESS MONEY for the TSSAA. The reason I propose my setup (and one that has been mentioned several times) is because it only involves one minor change in the current set-up. I am just asking to change the oil, not change the engine.

This proposed change would only involve one less game per region which is not that bad. Furthermore, it might not even lose money because most teams might have a bigger fan base for the consolation game if it meant something.

The TSSAA will never go the 4 teams only making the post-season. Basketball is known as being a tournament sport.

Basketball, sports and TSSAA operations take money. Some of you make it sound like the TSSAA sends all employees and board members to the Caribbean once a month (at least), where they lounge on the beach eating lobster and drinking, umm, certain drinks.

The games are for the players/students. Taking away any games hurts the players/students involved.

Separate the girls tournaments from the boys tournaments starting at the district level rather than waiting until they get to state. Play them at separate sites and cut the time it takes to play the tournaments in half.

OR

Play more games at the higher seeds gym until championship round.l

The second idea should be considered. Here, the girls and boys both played their biggest rival from 20 minutes away, for 3rd place in consolations. The tournament was already set for Grundy, so it was at least a 40-60+ minute trip for everyone. They could have had the games for 3rd at the higher seed and given 75 percent of the concessions to Grundy, that would have been more than they made that night though it was still a pretty good crowd. Plans should be in place for special cases like that.

The first idea, I wouldn't be against as long as it was guaranteed no school would have their teams playing on the same night. Fans would grudgingly pick but what about parents with a player on both teams, or some coaches who head coach or assist in both boys and girls.

Separate the girls tournaments from the boys tournaments starting at the district level rather than waiting until they get to state. Play them at separate sites and cut the time it takes to play the tournaments in half.

OR

Play more games at the higher seeds gym until championship round.l

The second idea should be considered. Here, the girls and boys both played their biggest rival from 20 minutes away, for 3rd place in consolations. The tournament was already set for Grundy, so it was at least a 40-60+ minute trip for everyone. They could have had the games for 3rd at the higher seed and given 75 percent of the concessions to Grundy, that would have been more than they made that night though it was still a pretty good crowd. Plans should be in place for special cases like that.

The first idea, I wouldn't be against as long as it was guaranteed no school would have their teams playing on the same night. Fans would grudgingly pick but what about parents with a player on both teams, or some coaches who head coach or assist in both boys and girls.

Here's an instance where that is a problem: 2nd Round Division II West Regional (No district tournament) played at higher seed until semi-finals: JCS vs Lausanne - same night - JCS boys higher seed so Lausanne boys travel to JCS.

Lausanne girls higher seed - JCS girls travel to Lausanne......buses had to pass each other on way to game and not sure, but would bet there was at least one set of parents that had to choose to either go to the daughter's game or son's game.

While I have the floor: Teams had to play 3 nights in a row - 2 nights in a row during tournament time should be an absolute maximum. To ask 16 year old kids to emotionally get up for that many games in a row is too much and definitely cuts down on the quality of play.