Scrimmages _ Does it matter who wins?

OnThePitch

Scrimmages- Most Coaches use them to see what they have , while most players look at say, " wow ,I can't believe The Mighty( fill in your team) only tied or beat (no name team) by a goal

The better coaches for the most part use these games to try everything. Some coaches say that they don't care and handle their scrimmmages that way but in reality pull out all the stops to win all the time. Don't get me wrong, I think winning should be a habit and every effort should be made to do so, but some Coaches who win all the time in season don't have perfect records in scrimmages because they test their team and individual players..... You will see at least one coach get on here and say they honestly don't care..but in reality that may not be true. For a coach to really know what he has , he needs to be able to put away his pride and the teams desire to win and test the waters with his players for future gains.

My opinion is scrimmages only tells a Coach and his team how good they are ....NOT the public or someone reading the scrimmage score or on another team

Scrimmages- Most Coaches use them to see what they have , while most players look at say, " wow ,I can't believe The Mighty( fill in your team) only tied or beat (no name team) by a goal

The better coaches for the most part use these games to try everything. Some coaches say that they don't care and handle their scrimmmages that way but in reality pull out all the stops to win all the time. Don't get me wrong, I think winning should be a habit and every effort should be made to do so, but some Coaches who win all the time in season don't have perfect records in scrimmages because they test their team and individual players..... You will see at least one coach get on here and say they honestly don't care..but in reality that may not be true. For a coach to really know what he has , he needs to be able to put away his pride and the teams desire to win and test the waters with his players for future gains.

My opinion is scrimmages only tells a Coach and his team how good they are ....NOT the public or someone reading the scrimmage score or on another team

Agree. Would add the best coaches see the bigger picture and aggressively use scrimmages as a chance to answer the questions they have about individual players in different roles and positions.

I think every team plays to win, in scrimmages, games, even in practice... BUT, I think one needs to keep in mind what scrimmages are for. New lineups, new positions, and especially new players. Sure, I play to win in these situations, but not at the expense of not trying new things. I have lost more scrimmages than I have won, but who remembers a scrimmage?

Usually, I try to have an agreement with the opposing coach to see what he wants to do. Near the 3rd or 4th scrimmage, we might go harder than the first or second. I like playing the starters in the first half, then get some of the new guys in in the second.

So, BigG, is ORHS on your scrimmage schedule this year?

We have played Oak Ridge on and off over the past couple of years, and initially this was one of the off years. When we found out that coach Day had the job, my schedule was already completely full. He will be on our schedule for certain next year, however.

We have played Oak Ridge on and off over the past couple of years, and initially this was one of the off years. When we found out that coach Day had the job, my schedule was already completely full. He will be on our schedule for certain next year, however.

What happened to the midnight scrimmage with Alcoa? Did we miss that one?

What happened to the midnight scrimmage with Alcoa? Did we miss that one?

We did that 3 years ago (might have been 2) and the neighbors weren't "thrilled" with a midnight kick off match time... :P

Plus, being in the same district, and huge A/AA rivals (though good friends) I would rather save our match ups with Alcoa for the regular season.

The midnight scrimmage, oh the memories! Actually that was alot of fun and we had a good turnout and great weather considering when we were doing it. I'd love to do something like that again, but I'm with G, we play as regular season opponents now.

As far as scrimmages go, I tend to take them more gamelike as we progress towards the beginning of the regular season. By the final scrimmage I hope to have my subbing patterns in place and players comfortable in their position and playing maximum minutes. Early on, it is fun to experiment and see what we can come up with, but since we do keep score I definitely want to note how we come out, especially when projected starters are going against each other early on. But I do think you have to have some fun with them, it is still a game afterall.

I seem to remember a tuxedo being worn during the midnight match, or maybe it was just me being old and seeing things :popcorneater:

I seem to remember a tuxedo being worn during the midnight match, or maybe it was just me being old and seeing things :popcorneater:

Ha ha! Yeah, that was Luke Bonewitz. He is at West Point right now... doubt he is wearing a tuxedo there!

I'm with you on getting more "serious" as the scrimmages progress, but I still like to make sure everyone gets playing time in those games. When the regular season starts, playing time is a hot commodity, and sometimes hard to come by.

Scrimmages matter. The score doesn't. It is nice to see what you have against someone other than yourself but from a coaching standpoint it is basically a competetive practice. I have never seen a player think that the final score in a scrimmage didn't matter. The cocky competetiveness always shows up. Beware to the team that has the higher score in a scrimmage because the team with the lower score usually learns more from the experience.