Refs with a chip on their shoulder

Uknow

Aren't ref's supposed to be unbiased while making calls during a TSSAA game? Especially tournament games? If they can't be, shouldn't they do something to change their venues for the night, if knowingly they have something for or against a certain team they are scheduled to make calls for? You would think so. TSSAA should do more to control these situations as well. A ref can make the outcome of a game go one way or another. He has the power. Some people with power use it against people they don't like. At Santa Fe tonight, there was a great game going between 2 good teams in the opening of the regional tournament. Loretto lead Santa Fe most of the 1st half, but the Lady Wildcats took a 1 point lead into the locker room. Santa Fe increased the lead to 7 or 9 in the 3rd quarter before Loretto came back and cut it to 2. At that point, 1 certain ref(known to make obviously wrong calls against Loretto all season), decided to take over the ballgame, blowing at least 4 or 5 calls in a row(while the other refs looked confused) including fouls against Loretto when the defender is standing still with arms straight up, foul aginst Loretto when nobody touched nobody, charge against Loretto when the player was flat footed jumped straight up to shoot the ball and was bumped backwards slightly, another foul against Loretto when she was 2 feet away from the girl she suposively fouled(which fouled out the District 12A MVP), a technical fould on Loretto's coach that was in his box just politely asking for clarity on a call without yelling or anything out of the way. All of these calls and maybe more that I didn't mention happened in a span of 2-4 minutes of play in the 4th quarter, all by 1 ref, all against 1 team. The lead shot from 2 to 12 just like that. Of course, that was also due to Santa Fe's well shooting from the stripe & field during this stretch. At the time the said player fouled out with close to 4 minutes left in the game, the total fouls for the half were Loretto 10 Santa Fe 2. I'm not taking anything from Santa Fe. They are a good team and deserve the victory & very well may have won if there wasn't any obviously wrong calls made at all & I wish them luck the rest of the way. I just don't see how 1 man can take a great game and turn it into no contest by himself and still get the oppurtunity to keep doing it to anybody else he choses without being penalized. There are always camera's rolling. There's also stats. I'd like to know how many technicals this ref has made all year and how many were against Loretto. I'm sure the results wouldn't surprise me. Regular season is one thing, but when it's do or die, that's another. Something should be done, for the sake of players, coaches, & fans. Maybe we'll get lucky and never see this ref again, but Iknow that's not possible. Good season Lady Mustangs! Good luck the rst of the way to all Region 6a teams left alive.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The technical was because Loretto didn't have a sub in the game in the allotted time after a player fouls out. I do agree there were some very strange calls made in short amount of time. It pretty much decided the outcome at that point.

Here's a question about the free throws shot after the technical.

A foul is called on Loretto. The Loretto player fouls out, it's the 9th team foul. Then the technical is called on Loretto. Santa Fe shoots the technical free throws first, while the fouled out player is still on the floor. The player then goes to the bench and the sub enters. The fouled Santa Fe player now goes to the line and gets 2 shots because Loretto now has 10 team fouls because of the technical. I think the officials screwed this completely. I'm no official but I think Santa Fe should have shot a one and one first then the technical then had the ball out of bounds.

What would have been the correct call in this situation?

I think the officials screwed this completely. I'm no official but I think Santa Fe should have shot a one and one first then the technical then had the ball out of bounds.

They did screw that up to. One of many things they screwed up. Your order of how it should've been makes sense. Loretto's coach was asking for an explanation of the call, by the way, which he never received.

It's not just your part of the state, they've slid of late on the East side too. I saw some questionable stuff tonight (although it would not have affected the outcome), but then I saw some stuff in the FUlton v Carter boys district game the other day that well, the 5 point margin of victory came from two questionable Technicals, well one was legit, not sure where the 2nd T came from. That though DID impact the outcome of that particular game. But i've been noticing it the past few weeks and it seems to have started in late Jan.

There was a ref at the boys 8aa championship game that when coach melton who never says anything stood up to ask about a call was pretty much told to sit down and shut up and then with in about 3 or 4 mins there was call after call on LA that was made just to spite coach. It was like the ref was tring to get him to say something else. LA was up 13-1 when all this started and had maybe a 4pt lead when that mess stoped. He made it obivous to everyone there including the other refs that he thought he was well in control of everything there and no one was stopping him. After the game there was probably 4 pages on the 8aa thread about this guy from people from every team in the district. Something should be done about refs like that. And the sad thing is his supervisor sat there and watched it, and allowed him to ref a game the following night in the 7A tournement where almost the same thing happened.

The technical was because Loretto didn't have a sub in the game in the allotted time after a player fouls out. I do agree there were some very strange calls made in short amount of time. It pretty much decided the outcome at that point.

A foul is called on Loretto. The Loretto player fouls out, it's the 9th team foul. Then the technical is called on Loretto. Santa Fe shoots the technical free throws first, while the fouled out player is still on the floor. The player then goes to the bench and the sub enters. The fouled Santa Fe player now goes to the line and gets 2 shots because Loretto now has 10 team fouls because of the technical. I think the officials screwed this completely. I'm no official but I think Santa Fe should have shot a one and one first then the technical then had the ball out of bounds.

Good question greenwhweel...one that many fans would never think to ask but that could turn out to be very important given certain situations...The way the referees did it in this game, if done as described, was wrong. In high school basketball you ALWAYS shoot them in the order they happened therefore the 9th team foul should have put the "foulee" on the line for a 1 and 1. Before he shoots, the player with 5 fouls should have a sub come in for him. Upon completion of the 1 and 1 try, the technical free-throws should then be administered and then the ball put in play as always when a technical is called in high school ball-at half court opposite the scores table.,,

That is a crazy reason for a technical, because you really don't have to put in a sub. there is no rule that you have to have 5 players out there. you can resume play with only 4 players on the court. don't know if that is a legitimate reason for a "T" or not. ;)

I agree. I may post video later. I know it won't change the outcome, but I want everybody to see this guy who obviously has a grudge against Loretto in action.

Maybe if we all start posting video of terrible ref-ing, they'll work towards making it better. Or, maybe it will help hold the refs accountable. It really has gotten terrible. These girls work too hard to have uneducated or biased referees hurting the game.

This article was published recently in the DNJ in Murfreesboro. As you read through the article, you will see that Mr. Childress says that...."if we don't like the officiating, maybe we should become one".... That is the "solution" that THE HEAD MAN of the TSSAA offers.

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 0102220305

The "head man of the TSSAA" has already proven that he is in over his head (no pun intended) after the fiasco that occurred this year with football playoff seeding. Hence, I'm not surprised by the response he gave about officiating. I fully realize that officiating is a difficult and under-appreciated job. I also am a fan of the concept of "don't always point out problems unless you want to be part of the solution." However, to continuously use the crutch response "if you don't like the officiating, then become one" is lame. How about another novel idea, "how them accountable." There is basically no accountability with the officials. There will not be any improvements without accountability...