21st Annual High School Wrestling Nationals Championship

rigger101

Who is going from TN?

http://www.nhsca.com/index.cfm?go=news&id=276

Cael Sanderson to be Keynote Speaker at NHSCA National Championship Breakfast

The National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) will host the 21st Annual High School Wrestling Nationals Championship event from March 23rd to March 28th at the Virginia Beach Convention Center in Virginia Beach, VA.

Before the tournament, Asics will be hosting the tournament breakfast where a number of speakers will give speeches on a number of different topic. Among those speakers will be the only undefeated four time NCAA champion, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist and 1997 NHSCA Senior National Champion and current Head Coach of Penn State, Cael Sanderson.

"Nationals is a great event for recruiting and for seniors to prove themselves one last time," said Sanderson. "It's really great to see the kids wrestle folk style one last time before they move on to their next level of wrestle may it be free style or on to college. I am honored that NHSCA and Asics invited me to speak at this great event."

With the amount of talent that is due to be at the tournament, Sanderson will have plenty of talented wrestlers to choose from.

"We're thrilled that Cael Sanderson will be addressing high school coaches at the NHSCA National Wrestling Championships breakfast,” said Neil Duncan, Coordinator of Wrestling Promotions for ASICS America Corporation. “Cael epitomizes rewards and the values of hard work, discipline and persistence that wrestling inherently teaches all of its participants

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like flo is going to split the top Seniors in the country so no true National Champion. flo is closer and cheaper but man it's cold and nasty in Northern Ohio this time of year.

Good luck to whoever steps up and represents the State Of TN!

Link to one board debating the 2 tourneys.

http://www.thecaliforniawrestler.com/fo ... d&p=391152

from what I have read. FLO started their tourney because they were not allowed to tape the NHSCA event at Va Beach. INHSCA SR Nationals will be on ESPN!

After going to Cleveland twice and major snow storms hitting both times. I would travel to VA Beach in a heart beat over Kent Ohio. Plus you don't have to listen to the arrogant Ohio fans! :hungry:

Is this it from the state of TN? :lol:

Trevor Herron-135

Cameron Croy-215 I saw that they had Croy down for 189.

Wow that is the lowest turn out in years.

This is why high school wrestling in TN, though having grown leaps in bounds over the past decade in terms of both quantity (in the number of kids coming out) and quality (having guys do well at the big national tourneys), is miles away from other states. The guys down south care more about the gridiron then the mat and it obviously shows (not that there is anything wrong with that each region has its priorities, though I would like to see more "athletes" give wrestling a try). In order to be considered a top tier wrestling state, the kids that wrestle here are going to have to pick it up in the off season or TN will still be known on the national scene as a state that has some good wrestlers, but whose wrestling is mediocre at best overall.

Also I did see Croy at 189 on the NHSCA website, but wouldn't that mean he wrestled at least one match this year at 189 in order to do drop?

Also I did see Croy at 189 on the NHSCA website, but wouldn't that mean he wrestled at least one match this year at 189 in order to do drop?

From the NHSCA website:

You may not compete at a weight lower than your state certification weight.

Should your state not have the weight certification system in place, you may not wrestle lower than the weight you competed at the 2009-10 State Dual Meet Championships or Individual State Championships.

I feel sure that Cameron certified at 189 for the 2009-2010 season & would not try to cheat. But when you look at it from the other side, who & how is the NHSCA going to check certification for a weekend tournament. This all started when Tirapelli droped about two weight classifications from where he won the California State Championship to defeat Philip Simpson for the NHSCA Championship. When you only have to make weight one time for a three or four day tournament you had guy's that were between 20 & 25 pounds over during the finals.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see more young men fromour great state decided to go.

Best of luck to you all.

SHEPHERD GREG Dickson County TN NP-NP-4-3

HERRON TREVOR Bradley Central TN NP-3-NP-1

PEARCE JONATHAN science hill high sc TN NP-NP-NP-2

PENSON CHAD Cordova TN NP-NP-3-2

CHEGE DAVID Ravenwood TN NP-NP-NP-1

AGUILAR CHRISTOPHER Bradley Central High TN NP-NP-3-1

CROY CAMERON Brentwood High Schoo TN 4-1-1-1

JAECKEL BRETT Hendersonville High TN NP-NP-6-5

This was posted by WOSBO over a week ago, so a couple more from WILCO :roflol:

WOSBO Wrestling Club will be taking 8 possibly 9 wrestlers to this tournament.

2 Freshman Alex & Andy Bennett (Franklin)

2 Sophmores-Parker Smith (Centennial) McCoy Newberg (Independence)

3 Juniors-Zach Bennett (Franklin), Matthew Cilimberg (Franklin), Kyler Smith (Centennial)

1 Senior-David Chege (Ravenwood)

They all have been training hard over the past 3 weeks and we are very excited they are representing TN along with all our state wrestles.