Seeding vs. Draw

tradertwo

Seeding vs. Draw, Im curious to see what everyone thinks on the subject. We now know the results of the draw, so I'm asking ; if the tourney was seeded this year,what would the matchups be, and be honest,no homers. I'm not looking for a recap of the A.P. poll, or strength vs. success on coach t either,but use em' if you need em'. I.m looking for everyones honest opinion and their reasons, Just for kicks, and to hear different opinions.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeding vs. Draw, Im curious to see what everyone thinks on the subject. We now know the results of the draw, so I'm asking ; if the tourney was seeded this year,what would the matchups be, and be honest,no homers. I'm not looking for a recap of the A.P. poll, or strength vs. success on coach t either,but use em' if you need em'. I.m looking for everyones honest opinion and their reasons, Just for kicks, and to hear different opinions.

What is your seeding ??

What is your seeding ??

Ha! Good question,and that's the beauty of it for me.I am compleately unbiased and really haven't given much consideration to it honestly. The true meaning of this thread is to expose the difference of opinion the fans show from one region in the state to another, and the fact that I believe,while seeding might resolve some problems that the draw has,that it would create more conflict of opinion too.P.S. last year seeding would have been good, as Manassas eliminated Humboldt in the first round, and I thought they were easilly the two best,but this year honestly there are a handful of teams who I.M.O.have a pretty good case to be one of the top two "seeds". :mrgreen:

#1 - Clarksville Acad.

#8 - Oliver Springs

#4 - CSAS

#5 - Grace Baptist

#3 - Westwood

#6 - Wayne Co.

#2 - Humboldt

#7 - Harriman

Cant argue against any pairings here,as I dont know much about the two teams in any one bracket, but I've got afeeling that Westwood might be a little overrated at three and/or Humboldt maybe under at two? I've seen both play and i.m.o. Humboldt is comfortably the better of the two,but again I know nothing of C.S.A.S. at#4,except that they are traditionally very good,and not much about C.A.,just that a lot of people "in the know" think that this is maybe their year.

Here is my opinion based on strength of schedule, my (limited) knowledge of the expierence level of each team, style of play, tradition and gut feeling

#1 Humbolt

#8 Harriman

#2 CSAS

#7 Oliver Springs

#3 Clarksville Academy

#6 Wayne County

#4 Grace Baptist

#5 Westwood

#1 Clarksville Academy

#8 Oliver Springs

#4 Wayne County

#5 CSAS

#3 Westwood

#6 Grace Baptist

#2 Humboldt

#7 Harriman

Seeding the state tournament makes absolutely no sense and would be a travesty if it ever happened, espcially if they seeded based on the state AP rankings. Everyone knows those rankings don't mean a thing. West TN teams are always ranked highly (probably because there are more writers in the west half of the state). Several East TN teams are severely underrated. Unfortunately this is not the NCAA, where you have RPI's, strength of schedule, and head-to-head results to compare a lot of teams in order to have a fair seeding. Blind draw is the best way to do it, unfortunately, it means some teams won't get the draw they want and will inevitably complain.

For example, the post above mine has Wayne County #4 and Westwood #3. I can almost guarantee that the top 4 teams in the tournament, in some order, will be Humbboldt, CSAS, Clarksville Academy, and either Westwood or Grace Baptist (flip a coin). This post has CA #1, but I would be shocked if they beat CSAS in the actual tourney bracket. I think the final four teams left in the actual state tourney will be CA, CSAS, Humbboldt, and Grace Baptist- and I think those are the four best teams in the tournament, so the blind draw worked out well this year. Last year, Humbboldt and Manassas were upset, and I understand why. But if you get a bad draw, all you can do is go out and play the games.

I had .....

1. Clarksville Acd.

8. Wayne County

4. Westwood

5. Grace Baptist

3. CSAS

6. Oliver Springs

7. Harriman

2. Humboldt

The draw went pretty good actually....I think the 3 weakest teams will get beat out the first day (Harriman, Wayne County, Oliver Springs)...Those three would struggle to place 4th in a regular season district schedule in 14A....I think maybe a good idea, rather than seeding teams, would be to change up the sectional round by swapping up the region matchups....That way, maybe you might get a true state tournament with the best teams...Of course, you would have some travel involved but you would get a stronger tournament....

I think the blind draw was as close as fair as it could be but I would prefer that you play different regions instead of blind draws. For example, a west tn team plays either a middle tn or east tn team and so forth and no team can play a team in their same region because that region plays each other during sub-state and every year TSSAA can alternate and people wouldn't say it was unfair. Really doesn't matter who you play because you still have to win the game regardless of who you play but I will admit that sometimes the best (2) two teams doesn't always win first & Second place. For example, last years game between Humboldt & Manassa were the best teams but were put against each other in the first round and that game was the only competative game because Manassa beat every other team by 20-30 points even the championship game was a blow out against Temple.

A:

Clarksville Academy vs Harriman

Grace Baptist vs Westwood

CSAS vs Wayne County

Humboldt vs Oliver Springs

AA:

Fulton vs Marshall County

Liberty vs Tyner

Howard vs Maplewood

Bolivar vs Carter

AAA:

Bearden vs Columbia