Can someone verify a TSSAA rule regarding On-Deck Batter?

TheMissingLink

Try this and see if you can understand.

"odds of a fight breaking out because of someone warming up near an opponent's dugout are ridiculously higher"

So, for example, the odds of a fight breaking out...1000 to 1.

The odds of getting hit 20-1.

Yes, the odds, IMO, are tremendously higher that a fight would break out.

I guess all higher levels of baseball warm up in the dugout... :thumb: This doesn't have anything to do with "Big Boy Baseball". It's common-friggin sense that it is inherintly unsafe to stand 20 feet to the right of a right handed batter, paying attention or not. If the playing field does not allow for a reasonable distance from the plate to the ODC, which in many places it doesn't, then it's stupid to force them to "warm up" in the dugout or in the line of fire. heck, pitchers get hit from 60 feet away. I guess they're not paying attention either.

It is odd to me that high school baseball has been played for all of these years with the on deck circles in the same place without issue. Now suddenly they need to be moved?

OK. Next, let's make a rule that the teams take a break between the 3rd and 4th innings and be sure everybody gets a juice box. :thumb:

No offense, but this is just silly.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this and see if you can understand.

"odds of a fight breaking out because of someone warming up near an opponent's dugout are ridiculously higher"

So, for example, the odds of a fight breaking out...1000 to 1.

The odds of getting hit 20-1.

Yes, the odds, IMO, are tremendously higher that a fight would break out.

I guess all higher levels of baseball warm up in the dugout... :thumb: This doesn't have anything to do with "Big Boy Baseball". It's common-friggin sense that it is inherintly unsafe to stand 20 feet to the right of a right handed batter, paying attention or not. If the playing field does not allow for a reasonable distance from the plate to the ODC, which in many places it doesn't, then it's stupid to force them to "warm up" in the dugout or in the line of fire. heck, pitchers get hit from 60 feet away. I guess they're not paying attention either.

It is odd to me that high school baseball has been played for all of these years with the on deck circles in the same place without issue. Now suddenly they need to be moved?

OK. Next, let's make a rule that the teams take a break between the 3rd and 4th innings and be sure everybody gets a juice box. :thumb:

No offense, but this is just silly.

Dont be so hard on these people they are learning that this is high school ball and not rec ball or travel ball. what has been the norm for 8-10 years of playing ball is now not the correct way. once you start middle school just stay in your dug out to warm up not a big deal.

I'll just leave it at this...I hope one day one of your big boys takes one off the bat while standing in the ODC. Of course, they'll shrug it off cause this ain't rec ball. They're tough enough to be in the line of fire, but obviously inable to stand near a dugout without getting into a fight. Come to think of it, I'm almost suprised we let the 1st and 3rd basemen that close to them, or heaven forbid chase a foul ball near the dugout. It might start a riot!

I don't know about preventing fights, but it does speed up the game by having the on deck circle on the dug out side. Also, If the chances of getting hit were 20-1 then at least two on deck players would get hit EVERY game....... Its crazy to think that on deck hitters should stay in the dugout.... Its their job to tell runners when and where to slide. This is baseball not soccer

I'll just leave it at this...I hope one day one of your big boys takes one off the bat while standing in the ODC. Of course, they'll shrug it off cause this ain't rec ball. They're tough enough to be in the line of fire, but obviously inable to stand near a dugout without getting into a fight. Come to think of it, I'm almost suprised we let the 1st and 3rd basemen that close to them, or heaven forbid chase a foul ball near the dugout. It might start a riot!

wow! i cant believe what you just said! But to make you feel better i have had kids play high school ball for 7 years in a row now and umpired even more and i have yet to see and on deck batter get hit. as far as chasing a foul ball each team gets foul balls on thier side of the field so the riot wont start.

I'm not gonna get after a person who shows concern for a player. However, baseball has been played longer than anyone has lived on this board and the ODC has ALWAYS been on the team's dugout side. It actually is very rare that a batter in the ODC gets hit, I've played for many years and coached a few and only remember once a player getting hit...on the bottom of the cleat and they were ok. I actually see more fights in baseball then seeing an OD batter get hit...at the HS level.

I don't think it is wrong for a person to show concern and have their opinion about where a hitter should and shouldn't stand on deck. But I don't think you should think it is crazy that high school teams are supposed to stay on their side when it is a rule and they've been doing it for decades. Getting hit in the ODC is rare and even more rare to have it happen and the player be seriously injured. They have a helmet (unlike a pitcher who is more likely to get hit) and they are aware, or should be, of what is going on. Obviously we would all agree that we wouldn't want any player to be hurt in a baseball game, or any game. However, players getting hurt does happen and athletes are all aware that getting hurt is a possibility during the course of a game. For me, the concern is appreciated but don't plan on anything changing, its baseball!