1st Annual Kentucky/Tennessee Future Stars Football Classic

CoachT

I think this event was a great experience for the kids that participated in this event. The problems I have is I don't think it was necessary to charge $25. I played in the Tennessee vs, Kentucky all star game when i was in school and I didn't try out or pay one dime to play in that game. We had a kid from the team that I coach selected to play in the East /West game a couple of years ago and it didn't cost him a dime to play in it and he definitely did not have to try out. The selection process should have been the same as it is in high school or the coaches in that particular region should have got to pick or vote players from that region to represent in the game. A lot of teams represented don't even play middle school ball; what I mean by that is that they are not recognized as a representative of that school. At the high school level you rarely see more than two players selected from one team, this team had 5 from Maryville and I think 3 on the 7th grade team. I understand paying for expenses but i know for sure that the guys that came up with this did not do it out of the kindness of their heart. Basically all of the other 200 plus kids that didn't make it are footing the bill for the ones who did make it. A team should have been selected like it is at every other all star game at every other level and the players who made it should have been charged a fee if things like uniforms and transportation could not be provided.Finally I understand a kid going into the 8th grade playing in this game but not a kid who starts summer training with their high school teams in 3 weeks. Middle school football is a stepping stone to get to the high school level, their season has been over with for almost 7 months. I know in the district that I teach in those kids are officially high school kids after may 21st. I coach high school ball and I can tell you right now if I had a promising 8th grade kid coming in that could possibly help or contribute and they go up there and play in a game and get hurt I would not be to happy about it. I mean they hadnt put on pads or hit in 7 months, and they only get 3 days to prepare.

Thanks for feedback coach, when putting together we thought long and hard about what direction to go in. THe high school games have sponsors, we don't. They have four years of film, stats, newspaper articles, all-state teams, etc to choose from - we don't. But #1 reason we wanted to have the tryout was for the kids to see for themselves where there at on a state level at this age; some may have felt very well with where they are right now but left thinking I need to work harder. The atmosphere was GREAT; watch the highlight video below. When we decided to charge $25 we knew we wanted to make it far more worth $25, we wanted some really good coaches to work the drills, have a combine done by a sports pro (not a dad w/ a K-Mart Stopwatch). All the kids got to go thru a variety of position specific drills, then even got in some 1-on-1's. They even got a t-shirt for the $25. We had two former 1st Round Draft picks work the camp; those kids got some good instruction! I bet I was told by ten plus coaches who was just there to watch there players, "man, this is great I've learned several new drills to take back to my team now" so it served as a coaches refresher for some of the middle school coaches who were there. As far as kids taking a risk on getting hurt, we hope that doesn't happen but u can get hurt playing hoops in driveway, touch football in backyard, driving to McDonalds, etc. For the most part the risk is no different than spring practice, its months since they have put the equipment on. The 7th Graders had much less kids trying out, we hope to get more schools on board to where it balances itself out where only 1, 2, 3 from a certain school make the team. But we wanted the best players, we didn't want to cut a kid b/c we had too many from his school, we wanted the best! Good luck this season coach....

Highlight video: http://borntocompete.com/tennesseeallstar.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockytop...so now that this makes 3 guys on this board that are around football in Knoxville see a different side of the picture with injury and it costing money and some other reasons(recruiting).

So there were coaches there watching and just mingling and seeing what was going on and got some new drills...I bet they didnt once say I would like hto have that kid that was running through drills...so is everything you are doing still legal?

High Schoolers after May 21st? So you are sure that no rules are being broke by the game not being played until June 4th?

Now like I have said before great for the kids but what happens if a kid blows his knee out and misses his whole freshman year and then how good is the experience? So good luck with all this and hope all the guys have fun and play well!!!

I still do not agree with high school coaches being there and not something sent to all area high school coaches for the oppurtunity to work the camp?

Rockytop...so now that this makes 3 guys on this board that are around football in Knoxville see a different side of the picture with injury and it costing money and some other reasons(recruiting).

So there were coaches there watching and just mingling and seeing what was going on and got some new drills...I bet they didnt once say I would like hto have that kid that was running through drills...so is everything you are doing still legal?

High Schoolers after May 21st? So you are sure that no rules are being broke by the game not being played until June 4th?

Now like I have said before great for the kids but what happens if a kid blows his knee out and misses his whole freshman year and then how good is the experience? So good luck with all this and hope all the guys have fun and play well!!!

I still do not agree with high school coaches being there and not something sent to all area high school coaches for the oppurtunity to work the camp?

Cat thanks for the well wish, the kids need support, its not about winning its about the experience but sure will be a better bus ride back from Louisville if the Tennessee teams win - I'm going to Louisville Fri to work there Combine / Tryout. One good feather Tennessee has is it has two really good coaches leading the team - and NO Cat I'm not coaching; I wasn't good enough to get picked and I was the one picking the coaches. I'm just doing all the Tennessee planning, I figured coaching, planning and promoting would have looked little odd gave the wrong perception. We got middle school coaches across the state on both staffs, they were estactic when they were asked. The team will stay on campus and practice at Carson Newman, if u want to see some TALENT go watch the 8th Graders (9th graders to be) get it on, they look like GROWN men. Definitely some D1A-ers in that group...

Cat you finally got some folks in your corner. Ok 3 disagree, there were 300 kids who agreed and thats what matters, even if 3 million disagree if 300 kids were happy then it was a HUGE success. Cat read more careful, I said coaches came to WATCH there own players partake thru the drills (some drove there own players to the Tryout), one coach from Memphis brought 5 players, u would have thought those kids were in the Caribbean when they walked thru the door, three made the team and they're coach said they were so excited, stuff like that is what its all about. These were middle school coaches who were saying that about the drills Cat and to best of my old memory all coaches who made that comment to me were middle school coaches and not from Knoxville area - a little learning never hurt anyone Cat; I try an learn more every year myself by attending coaching clinics; never too old to quit learning. Cat I know u want every coach to be invited but thats not feasible, here's what I'll do to please u next year I'll let u email all 300+ staff's next year and tell them whats going and they can come watch. There's no need to invite 300+ coaches to work the camp when only 300 or so kids are going to show up; I will say based on the response and buzz this has created we may top 500 kids next year. Cat if you new what I know about this you would think different, but I can't sell you on a message board as to why you should support this, we can keep having some fun disagreeing, I'm sure some folks are getting a kick out of it. We advertised the event in the K.N.S.. Yes injury worry sucks, we hope it don't happen but as stated before u can get injured doing alot of other stuff too. June is summer hoops time for HS b/ball teams they run the risk of injury there too Cat that would keep them out of football.

The May 21 deal, that was first I heard of that. Some counties are still in school then so no way thats accurate statewide - it maybe in his county though I can't answer that. One thing I was told is that student isn't official until he attends a regular school day or has three official practices with that team - as we know official practice isn't til July 26. I'm sure if there were issues then TSSAA would have told one or both of the two guys who called and asked them about this during the planning stages way back when. The head man was asked and he said "go for it". Only kids who can't partake are ones that played varsity football as 8th Graders in 2009 (very few private schools offer that option).

Yes this is legal Cat; we did alot of homework, we planned carefully it wasn't planned over a meal. Its legal in Kentucky too, they had to get approval thru KHSAA. K.P.S. has some "haters" up there but he's working thru them and looks to have a huge turnout coming Sat for their Tryout.

I think this event was a great experience for the kids that participated in this event. The problems I have is I don't think it was necessary to charge $25. I played in the Tennessee vs, Kentucky all star game when i was in school and I didn't try out or pay one dime to play in that game. We had a kid from the team that I coach selected to play in the East /West game a couple of years ago and it didn't cost him a dime to play in it and he definitely did not have to try out. The selection process should have been the same as it is in high school or the coaches in that particular region should have got to pick or vote players from that region to represent in the game. A lot of teams represented don't even play middle school ball; what I mean by that is that they are not recognized as a representative of that school. At the high school level you rarely see more than two players selected from one team, this team had 5 from Maryville and I think 3 on the 7th grade team. I understand paying for expenses but i know for sure that the guys that came up with this did not do it out of the kindness of their heart. Basically all of the other 200 plus kids that didn't make it are footing the bill for the ones who did make it. A team should have been selected like it is at every other all star game at every other level and the players who made it should have been charged a fee if things like uniforms and transportation could not be provided.Finally I understand a kid going into the 8th grade playing in this game but not a kid who starts summer training with their high school teams in 3 weeks. Middle school football is a stepping stone to get to the high school level, their season has been over with for almost 7 months. I know in the district that I teach in those kids are officially high school kids after may 21st. I coach high school ball and I can tell you right now if I had a promising 8th grade kid coming in that could possibly help or contribute and they go up there and play in a game and get hurt I would not be to happy about it. I mean they hadnt put on pads or hit in 7 months, and they only get 3 days to prepare.

Thanks for feedback coach, when putting together we thought long and hard about what direction to go in. THe high school games have sponsors, we don't. They have four years of film, stats, newspaper articles, all-state teams, etc to choose from - we don't. But #1 reason we wanted to have the tryout was for the kids to see for themselves where there at on a state level at this age; some may have felt very well with where they are right now but left thinking I need to work harder. The atmosphere was GREAT; watch the highlight video below. When we decided to charge $25 we knew we wanted to make it far more worth $25, we wanted some really good coaches to work the drills, have a combine done by a sports pro (not a dad w/ a K-Mart Stopwatch). All the kids got to go thru a variety of position specific drills, then even got in some 1-on-1's. They even got a t-shirt for the $25. We had two former 1st Round Draft picks work the camp; those kids got some good instruction! I bet I was told by ten plus coaches who was just there to watch there players, "man, this is great I've learned several new drills to take back to my team now" so it served as a coaches refresher for some of the middle school coaches who were there. As far as kids taking a risk on getting hurt, we hope that doesn't happen but u can get hurt playing hoops in driveway, touch football in backyard, driving to McDonalds, etc. For the most part the risk is no different than spring practice, its months since they have put the equipment on. The 7th Graders had much less kids trying out, we hope to get more schools on board to where it balances itself out where only 1, 2, 3 from a certain school make the team. But we wanted the best players, we didn't want to cut a kid b/c we had too many from his school, we wanted the best! Good luck this season coach....

Highlight video: http://borntocompete.com/tennesseeallstar.html

I agree with you, kids can get hurt from playing hoops or playing backyard football but that's different from lining up and playing a whole football game, The point is to get these kids prepared for high school football which is what matters in the big picture anyway, I want my kids to get out of that middle school football mode as soon as school is out because that is when their high school careers start. Thats why they play the high school all star game as soon as the season is over. Again I think it was a great experience for these kids and I think it was a good idea, I just wish the selection process would have been different. Your right the high schools do have stats, film and articles to go off of, and thats what makes it unique. They are selected off of the entire body of work instead of one year or based on whether you can go through agility stations better than the other kid, that's why I said coaches should have been more involved with the selection process because they have seen these kids play an entire season and some when they were 7th graders. I know that politics are involved in a lot of things but this was very obvious to me. It was filled with mostly local teams or city leagues teams because as far as I know Knoxville does not have any sanctioned middle school football teams except for Webb and CAK; what I mean is they don't represent that school. I also noticed Powell had two QB's made it, how wonderful would that be to have two guys that play the same position make an all star game, I noticed that the coaches that helped out, their kids made the team also. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have made it just saying the process should have been different. I would trust coaches input more so than one day agility drills. Your right it has been months before spring practice that they have played but spring practice is getting those players prepared to play a season not one game, my school we practice 4 days in pads before our first scrimmage which is a lot different from a game, scrimmages are controlled by coaches not by refs. I just think it means more to let coaches select the players instead of having them tryout because I want a kid to play for me that does what he is suppose to do at school and have a good attitude and represent their school in a positive way and when you select them the way that you did I think none of those things are important because your basing the selection off of a one day performance in shorts and t-shirts, nevermind what they did the whole season. I think this was a great idea and a way to motivate kids to work harder but it was also an opportunity for someone to make a little money; which is fine by me but don't try to say it was all about the kids because it was about both. Thanks for wishing us luck this season we will need in the region we play in. Your right the kid does not become officially part of that that team until the 3 days practice; what i was saying is no matter what school they go to they are officially high school students when school is out whether its the 21st or June 1st.

I agree with you, kids can get hurt from playing hoops or playing backyard football but that's different from lining up and playing a whole football game, The point is to get these kids prepared for high school football which is what matters in the big picture anyway, I want my kids to get out of that middle school football mode as soon as school is out because that is when their high school careers start. Thats why they play the high school all star game as soon as the season is over. Again I think it was a great experience for these kids and I think it was a good idea, I just wish the selection process would have been different. Your right the high schools do have stats, film and articles to go off of, and thats what makes it unique. They are selected off of the entire body of work instead of one year or based on whether you can go through agility stations better than the other kid, that's why I said coaches should have been more involved with the selection process because they have seen these kids play an entire season and some when they were 7th graders. I know that politics are involved in a lot of things but this was very obvious to me. It was filled with mostly local teams or city leagues teams because as far as I know Knoxville does not have any sanctioned middle school football teams except for Webb and CAK; what I mean is they don't represent that school. I also noticed Powell had two QB's made it, how wonderful would that be to have two guys that play the same position make an all star game, I noticed that the coaches that helped out, their kids made the team also. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have made it just saying the process should have been different. I would trust coaches input more so than one day agility drills. Your right it has been months before spring practice that they have played but spring practice is getting those players prepared to play a season not one game, my school we practice 4 days in pads before our first scrimmage which is a lot different from a game, scrimmages are controlled by coaches not by refs. I just think it means more to let coaches select the players instead of having them tryout because I want a kid to play for me that does what he is suppose to do at school and have a good attitude and represent their school in a positive way and when you select them the way that you did I think none of those things are important because your basing the selection off of a one day performance in shorts and t-shirts, nevermind what they did the whole season. I think this was a great idea and a way to motivate kids to work harder but it was also an opportunity for someone to make a little money; which is fine by me but don't try to say it was all about the kids because it was about both. Thanks for wishing us luck this season we will need in the region we play in. Your right the kid does not become officially part of that that team until the 3 days practice; what i was saying is no matter what school they go to they are officially high school students when school is out whether its the 21st or June 1st.

Coach you make some good points, the selection was kinda tough b/c your going off shirt / shorts BUT man we have some studs in this state - I had dinner other nite w/ a UT coach and told him I'll make him look like a hero of judging early talent - so I gave him a few names of some "freak athletes". I'm sure we missed on some but I failed to mention the middle school coaches had the opportunity to "nominate" there own players, we used those notes when making the final selections. The thing about coaches only selecting is they all want "there own" to make the team which nothing is wrong with that; there just trying to help out there own. But we wanted to be fair and have a level playing field. The Tryout / Combine experience was a positive and great atmosphere... One reason the coaches on staff all have selected players is "most" of those coaches had successul seasons last season and usually to have successful seasons u have a stud or two. Most of those coaches on staff had over ten kids from their team tryout. Some of the coaches on staff had some kids NOT make it that they thought were definites - talent was so deep in certain positions.

Yes Knoxville don't have sanctioned Middle School football, but most all Knox High Schools are involved with their 8th Grade program. There is some awful good talent in Knoxville just like everywhere else, in high schools these kids go all over the city. With us having the event in Knoxville we had alot more Knox kids tryout then other areas. If 100 more West Tenn kids would have come then you would have thought "well all they kept were West Tenn kids"; 50% of the West Tenn kids who tried out made the team, they passed the eye test like none other. We sent all the middle school coaches "demographics" on how many tried out from each area and how many were selected from each area; there was nothing to hide about any of this event!! The percentages worked out good (and those percentages weren't even in the equation when selecting the team). Knoxville had one of or the worst percentage and that was b/c well over 100 kids who tried out were from Knoxville. I agree about two qb's from same school making the team, very odd situation I agree but if you would have seen the two play you would certainly understand why both are on the team. There VERY good for their age, about as good as it gets... They both can fling it w/ some awful good accuracy. The QB from Cleveland who is the lefty in the highlight video throws the most beautiful ball.

We did position drills, 1-on-1's, etc. We had planned 7-on-7 but when we moved indoors less space. The OL/DL did 1-on-1's and they got down. You would have been stoked if you could have seen some of those battles; they were the most intense and loudest group in the building.

Good thing about playing a tough region it will have you prepared for playoffs if you can get there. I'll keep everyone informed on how Tennessee performs in the Bluegrass State. There working on a deal now where the game will be broadcast live online. Soon as I have that info I will share...

You may have already answered this question, but why were MS coaches called and asked to nominate kids when it turned out to be an "open" tryout for any MS kid?

Few reasons, we wanted to kind of know what kind of talent is coming, who to look for. Sometimes kids can look good in shorts but not so much in pads, so we wanted to make sure we didn't pick someones backup RB and leave off there starting RB, hope that makes sense (I may not have gave a good explanation). Nearly every kid who made it was nominated. The "non nonimated" kids had a legit shot, I know of a couple that did enough to impress and made the team. The "Open" Tryout was for the experience, atmosphere and so the kids could go thru a one day mini-camp / Combine.

Hey Guys,

In Chattanooga this is a big thing that kids that did not try are already talking about trying next year.

The state of Tennessee is NOT being highly recruited now, maybe this will help. As for as all the talk about getting recruited by high schools just have a winning program they won"t leave.

Money for High School all-star games they are all sponsored. You can't pick kids like you do in high schools

middle school is not that organized. I think it was sent out to coaches to recommend players. Nothing in this world is perfect, but at least this is something different. Quit pouring water on it and just pray that it go good for the kids. Check it out in four years, all good things started somewhere internet, recruiting services, TV, computers, electricity. people bad mouth those things also, lets Pray that God takes care of the kids and it turns out to be a positive thing. My son did not make it, but he still had a great time while seeing other players.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

In Chattanooga this is a big thing that kids that did not try are already talking about trying next year.

The state of Tennessee is NOT being highly recruited now, maybe this will help. As for as all the talk about getting recruited by high schools just have a winning program they won"t leave.

Money for High School all-star games they are all sponsored. You can't pick kids like you do in high schools

middle school is not that organized. I think it was sent out to coaches to recommend players. Nothing in this world is perfect, but at least this is something different. Quit pouring water on it and just pray that it go good for the kids. Check it out in four years, all good things started somewhere internet, recruiting services, TV, computers, electricity. people bad mouth those things also, lets Pray that God takes care of the kids and it turns out to be a positive thing. My son did not make it, but he still had a great time while seeing other players.

Thanks

Im not pouring water on anything. As I said before I think it was great for the kids. Your right this state is not being heavily recruited and it never has been. Tennessee football does not compare to other states such as Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi. Why cant you pick kids like you do in high school? I was saying that each region could nominate the best players from that region, you said middle school is not that organized well it is in the east Tennessee area, there are at least 3 associations that play organized ball, I mean they play in regions. The way it was setup any 7th or 8th grader can tryout, well what if they never played organized ball or they don't show up for school. The main problem is I have is you could possibly get a kid that dont even play football or quit during the season make the team because it was open tryouts. Maybe I'm just old fashion. I know we have some stud athletes in this state but I have seen a lot of stud players in middle school that never get any better or bigger, I just dont want to make middle something that it is not. I saw on another site that said Todd Kelly's son was an all American and a top rated safety in the nation, who picks that stuff, what website is that on because I have never heard of a all American middle school team. I just dont want kids to get the big head because they are good middle school players because the reality is most wont contribute until they are juniors in high school for the most part, you may have some sophomores that play or start but rarely do freshman play. Again I think it was a great idea and experience for the kids and I hope it continues to improve I just wish the selection process was different.

Hey Chattanooga...Im not pouring water on anything and he has good points as well as you have good points and I think I have made valid points!

The thing that bothers me about you talking is that Middle School football is not organized enough yet Rocytop just said that they contacted Middle School coaches to find the best players so they would know who they were when they got there!

So you tell me how this team could not have been selected just like High School All-Star games are picked without a tryout?

Although I think the tryout makes it more fun and more fair for everyone involved!

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Im not pouring water on anything. As I said before I think it was great for the kids. Your right this state is not being heavily recruited and it never has been. Tennessee football does not compare to other states such as Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi. Why cant you pick kids like you do in high school? I was saying that each region could nominate the best players from that region, you said middle school is not that organized well it is in the east Tennessee area, there are at least 3 associations that play organized ball, I mean they play in regions. The way it was setup any 7th or 8th grader can tryout, well what if they never played organized ball or they don't show up for school. The main problem is I have is you could possibly get a kid that dont even play football or quit during the season make the team because it was open tryouts. Maybe I'm just old fashion. I know we have some stud athletes in this state but I have seen a lot of stud players in middle school that never get any better or bigger, I just dont want to make middle something that it is not. I saw on another site that said Todd Kelly's son was an all American and a top rated safety in the nation, who picks that stuff, what website is that on because I have never heard of a all American middle school team. I just dont want kids to get the big head because they are good middle school players because the reality is most wont contribute until they are juniors in high school for the most part, you may have some sophomores that play or start but rarely do freshman play. Again I think it was a great idea and experience for the kids and I hope it continues to improve I just wish the selection process was different.

You make some good points Royce but the Tryout was part of the "experience". I can't tell you how many emails and texts I've received from parents, coaches, etc that said there son/player didn't make the cut but had a blast.

Royce, we prove every year that our athletes can play w/ other states. We take our 8th Grade team to Stone Mountain, GA every August and we stack up just fine playing the best they've got (Stephenson, Tucker, etc) and WE all know the Atlanta area is considered the best in Southeast next to South Florida. We may not have the #'s some of those other states have but we got some kids that can play. One reason we don't get recruited as heavy is Colleges know for sure in Atlanta and some of these other areas there going to find what there looking for. I was on vacation in Feb and met the coaching staff @ Central Florida, there recruiting coordinator told me we only recruit Florida and Georgia b/c thats all we have too, we know there's kids that can play in other states but we can find what we need there, so financially to them it doesn't make sense to recruit the Country. I'm sure other schools take the same approach...

Royce, there now is a Jr. Army All-American Game in San Antonio played day after the high school game. Football University is the host of the game. Its East v/s West just like the high school. FBU sent a regional scout to the Battle In Rocky Top - back in November the 8th Grade Division was played at Knox Catholic and they offered four Tennessee kids spots in the game. My point is T. Kelly was one of the invitees, he had a good week down in San Antonio and was considered the best DB there. So thats probably where that announcement came from.

And these (some not all) are the kids who will play some varsity early. Our 8th Grade program has had SEVERAL kids start varsity as 9th Graders at schools that win. True your average kid don't play until junior year but w/ this all-star game most of these guys aren't your average kid. According to some of the middle school coaches some of these kids have a good shot at starting at some pretty big high school programs this fall. And your right sometimes kids don't grow an inch after middle school, sometimes....