District 4 Games This Week

wiredtowin

Tuesday. Lenoir City at West. Normally, a home game for West is a huge advantage because of their football field setting. Not so with LC—they are accustomed to playing on a narrow, crowned field because they play their home games on a football field too. West will be missing Mccoy due to red card in last game of Bearden tournament and may be a bit dead-legged from playing four games in five days at the tournament. Lenoir City is fresh and has good individual talent. This is a big-time trap game for West. An early LC goal and the West wheels may come off the wagon. I’m picking the upset—LC 3, West 2.

Tuesday. Bearden at Maryville (Maryville College). Bearden coming on strong and enters the game undefeated and #2 in the state. Maryville stung in big losses to Farragut and Hendersonville. In the last 4 years, Bearden holds a slight advantage over Maryville with 3 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw. This will be a low scoring, defensive battle and the winner will be who takes advantage of their limited chances/who plays mistake free inside the 18 or in goal. Bearden 2, Maryville 1.

Wednesday. Catholic at Farragut. Great showing by Admirals at Palmetto! Catholic with 2 good wins and a draw with McCallie after losing Mishu. This would be a good spot for an upset with Farragut’s tough weekend but they are just too deep and talented for that to have a major impact. Went all the way back to 2006 on Eurosport and the teams have not met in the regular season. Somewhat odd to have 2 powers that close to each other and not playing until compelled to play a district game this year. Farragut pulls away in second half—Farragut 4, Catholic 0.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The past Bearden match predictions on these forums I have noticed always have Bearden giving up goals. At 9-0-0 and only three goals scored on the entire season (two by Notre Dame, one by Hardin Valley, which were early season goals) I believe that Maryville cannot score against Bearden. Bearden defeated Hendersonville 1-0, while Maryville was demolished by them 5-1. Bearden's early season defensive wrinkles have been ironed out by now. Bearden doesn't have a flashy offense, but has a possessive midfield and a solid defense. Look for Bearden to dominate possession time and number of shots. I'm going with Bearden winning 2-0 or 3-0.

The past Bearden match predictions on these forums I have noticed always have Bearden giving up goals. At 9-0-0 and only three goals scored on the entire season (two by Notre Dame, one by Hardin Valley, which were early season goals) I believe that Maryville cannot score against Bearden. Bearden defeated Hendersonville 1-0, while Maryville was demolished by them 5-1. Bearden's early season defensive wrinkles have been ironed out by now. Bearden doesn't have a flashy offense, but has a possessive midfield and a solid defense. Look for Bearden to dominate possession time and number of shots. I'm going with Bearden winning 2-0 or 3-0.

I agree with wiredtowin on the first game, Lenoir City is not a bad team and west is having big time problems right now...especially with mccoy missing.

I see this being closer than some might think. Mishu is gone but Catholic move the ball good and is still pretty solid on defense....still this is Farraguts to loose.

Olif, we must be seeing two different Bearden teams. I believe you said that Bearden dominated possession and chances in the Hendersonville gane and I thought it was all Hendersonville. I don't see this possession type Bearden team that dominates possession and shot counts that you see. with that said....I completely agree with you that the Bearden defense is amazing. I see Maryville winning possession but not the shot count and a very close over all game.

West will beat LC at home without Jack. West is better but one has to wonder what is up with this team.

Bearden will win against Maryville in a close game. Bearden is a better team right now but are playing mids as forwards. Maryville always plays hard but when I saw them against Catholic not as good as I expected. Bearden better look out in that Maryville has a lot to prove right now.

Catholic can not play Farragut straight up. They do not have the quality, experience or depth to hang. It will not be close. Catholic should come out with a defensive formation man marking Stinton with one of their two center mids that play club ball with him and know him, take his left foot away and force him to his right, and must not allow him the ball or those great runs he makes to the box that cause all kinds of problems. Catholic should rely on counters and deadball situations to manufacture a couple goals and hope for the best. Farragut should win but do not underestimate Catholic to tie if they play smart.

Can anyone update the scores for tonight?

It appears Bearden won 2-1 and so did West at least this was the score with a minute left in the game. A great hustle goal by Tanner at the end won it. LC deserved better as they had more possession and better chances.

Olif, we must be seeing two different Bearden teams. I believe you said that Bearden dominated possession and chances in the Hendersonville gane and I thought it was all Hendersonville. I don't see this possession type Bearden team that dominates possession and shot counts that you see. with that said....I completely agree with you that the Bearden defense is amazing. I see Maryville winning possession but not the shot count and a very close over all game.

Shots/shots on goal (Hendersonville/Bearden game, these stats were from the press box)

Hendersonville: 16/8

Bearden: 19/12 (not really dominating, I meant something else, my bad for not clarifying)

The Hendersonville/Bearden game, I think the possession time was split about 60/40, in Bearden's favor. This was my bad for not clarifying, but I meant that Bearden dominated possession in their most recent games: West, Cordova, and siegel.

However, you were right on about Maryville and possession. Possession was all Maryville this game, they passed expertly. Only towards the end of the second half did Bearden maintain possession for a while. Very close game, but Maryville could not score despite their possession (aside from that pk).

It appears Bearden won 2-1 and so did West at least this was the score with a minute left in the game. A great hustle goal by Tanner at the end won it. LC deserved better as they had more possession and better chances.

Tanner had nothing to do with either goal in the LC West game. He was completely shut down, his break-aways and his throw ins. The game was tied for the entirety of the second half until #23 Alex put his second one in. Good game though. Both teams played their hearts out.

Knox News Sentinel said that Tanner had the goal. Not saying that the Sentinel is always right, but that was what was recorded (and I believe quoted about by the West Coach).

The KNS also said the Jack Mccoy didnt' play in the game because he was playing in an all-star game in London. Nice spin--maybe he is in England but he would not have played if he was in Knoxville because of a red card received in the Bearden tournament for a blatant, cleats-up foul. Whoever fed the KNS reporter that line needs to man up.