Oak Ridge Combine

Namowicz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: There is no 100m runner in the world that accelerates after 60m. The great ones such as Bolt and Tyson Gay can maintain their top speed for 20-30m which usually occurs between 55-80m. Not hatin on anyone just thought I would spread some knowledge. 10.8 is very good for as high school kid also especially in tennessee where high school speed and track coaches lack the time and resources to really develop a kid's speed. I have watched several of DYOung's highlight videos and in no way do I think he consistantly runs a 4.3 second 40yd dash, but with that said, a strong tailwind can affect the time a sprint is run by tenths of a second, and like an earlier poster said he had some inspirtation for performing well. From what I have seen of him I would not be surprised if he runs several more times in the high 4.4 to low 4.5 range this summer.

Also, Does anyone know which electronic system was used for the event? I know that they are really tricky to set up and I have seen even at the collegiate track level systems be improperly alligned and significantly change times. Once again not trying to knock D. Young, but from what I have heard times were really fast all across the board and an improperly setup laser timer can drop a 21.5 second 200m runner to 21.0. I only wish my bro's spring practice wouldn't have been that day.

Im not sure what machines were used but I do think that last year about this time or right before or after the UT camp DYoung ran a 4.37 or 4.39 40 at a combine in ATL maybe...check location...but I remember when Carl Lewis use to run the 100 in the Olympics and would be behing the first 50 meters and then run off and leave everyone...I do believe Bolt runs a low 4s or sub 4 second 40 based off his 100 time?

Im not sure what machines were used but I do think that last year about this time or right before or after the UT camp DYoung ran a 4.37 or 4.39 40 at a combine in ATL maybe...check location...but I remember when Carl Lewis use to run the 100 in the Olympics and would be behing the first 50 meters and then run off and leave everyone...I do believe Bolt runs a low 4s or sub 4 second 40 based off his 100 time?

Carl had one of the fastest top speedsa human has ever recorded, Usain Bolt and Donovan Bailey the 96 champion who tested positive both run around 29mph and Carl was not far behind. As for Bolt's 40 time according to 10m splits from his 9.69 run which was out of blocks was 4.185 seconds but he can travel the next 40yds 3.05 seconds. Delvin may be able to turn over the first 40 quick but the next 40 probably wont be near 3.05. Delvin has a quick turnover but short stride length due to his height, so it is understandable why there is such a difference in his 40yd and 100m time. His top speed is not that fast but he can get there quick. Delvin's time is not what makes me skeptical of the results, the other times are.

Also, whoever was talking about reggie bush, watch film of him and watch how much ground each stride can cover. It is about 5 yards a stride, very few high school kids cover this much. Though the first 40yds are similar, the next 40 are a different level which is what makes him so fast. I wish reggie would have been a track guy because he could have been a world class long jumper. Did anyone else see him jump 7+ yards horizontally with tacklers coming at him and in football pads?

Carl had one of the fastest top speedsa human has ever recorded, Usain Bolt and Donovan Bailey the 96 champion who tested positive both run around 29mph and Carl was not far behind. As for Bolt's 40 time according to 10m splits from his 9.69 run which was out of blocks was 4.185 seconds but he can travel the next 40yds 3.05 seconds. Delvin may be able to turn over the first 40 quick but the next 40 probably wont be near 3.05. Delvin has a quick turnover but short stride length due to his height, so it is understandable why there is such a difference in his 40yd and 100m time. His top speed is not that fast but he can get there quick. Delvin's time is not what makes me skeptical of the results, the other times are.

Also, whoever was talking about reggie bush, watch film of him and watch how much ground each stride can cover. It is about 5 yards a stride, very few high school kids cover this much. Though the first 40yds are similar, the next 40 are a different level which is what makes him so fast. I wish reggie would have been a track guy because he could have been a world class long jumper. Did anyone else see him jump 7+ yards horizontally with tacklers coming at him and in football pads?

Blue...that is what I told some other posters a few post back is that Devrin is built for the quick burst and the 40 sets up perfect for him and the 100 he picks up no more speed than he has at the 40 yd mark! Found out that the times might have been aided by the wind but I thought the wind was blowing in their face when they running when I was out there! Would that make a difference if they had a face wind and not wind from behind...faster or slower?

A headwind (wind in your face) will slow you down probably a tenth of a second maybe two. A tailwind (wind at your back) may help a tenth. My original comment talked of how many "4.4s" were being reported. A 4.4 forty athlete is elite, and east Tennessee has not had that many 5 star recruits. All of this would make me question the validity of the times at this combine. As I have stated before, Devrin is fast and very fast in East Tennessee, just like the kid from CAK. And for the record, Devrin was already behind at the 40 mark in the 100m race at the Vol Track Classic. Kid from CAK had buried the field

To all you combine junkies, read this:

Unfortunately, while athleticism is no doubt a prerequisite for success in the N.F.L., a recent study confirms that it is largely worthless: “Combine measures examined in this study include 10-, 20-, and 40-yard dashes, bench press, vertical jump, broad jump, 20- and 60-yard shuttles, three-cone drill, and the Wonderlic Personnel Test . . . . Using correlation analysis, we find no consistent statistical relationship between combine tests and professional football performance, with the notable exception of sprint tests for running backs.”

The authors of this study, Frank Kuzmits and Arthur Adams, modestly conclude that, “from a practical standpoint, the results of the study should encourage NFL team personnel to reevaluate the usefulness of the combine’s physical tests and exercises as predictors of player performance.”

In other words, the combine is, at best, a waste of time and, at worst, flatly misleading by putting the focus on measures not correlated with on-field performance. And this same analysis applies to the even more highly orchestrated “Pro Day” workouts held on college campuses. It’s not that athleticism is totally irrelevant, it’s that once a player has been invited to the combine he probably already meets the physical requirements, and the only question is if he has enough football skill to succeed in the pros. And the combine doesn’t help.

This is from smartfootball.com

I dont understand what being a really good athlete has to do with running a 40 and being fast...I am not arguing about the 40 being a measuring stick to how good of a football player someone will be, but at the same time it does show you something that you can not coach and that is all naturall speed!

• 2 weeks later...