Returning players to watch

midtnbaseball45

If your looking for a team to look at more than one player and Independence high school game would be a great decision in the spring. headed by Dylan Toscano and Brian Miller on the staff and Adam Lee, Austin Reed, and a couple of very talented players coming up from jv in the line-up, this has the makings to one explosive team with a chance to make a run at state.

Independence does look good on paper. Lots of talent the last couple years, hopefully they can get some hardware.

I heard that Mookie gave his verbal commitment to Tennessee yesterday.

Why would anyone do this now? You have kids that started as true freshmen leaving the program at every opportunity, no one in their right mind feels that Todd Raleigh will be around next season, the remaining players have no respect for the current head coach and to say that the program is a total mess would be quite the understatement. This makes zero sense for any player with great ability to give a verbal commitment to the University of Tennessee.

Edited by cbg

Why would anyone do this now? You have kids that started as true freshmen leaving the program at every opportunity, no one in their right mind feels that Todd Raleigh will be around next season, the remaining players have no respect for the current head coach and to say that the program is a total mess would be quite the understatement. This makes zero sense for any player with great ability to give a verbal commitment to the University of Tennessee.

I agree totally but the statement is true. Mookie did well at the east coast showcase - he probably won't go to any school.

I guess Jr. didn't get an offer. Be patient, something will turn up. :roflol:

As for Mookie, how could you be anything but happy for a young man getting the opportunity to play SEC baseball for his home state university? I for one am extremely happy to have Mookie and the Betts family on board at UT. Take a poll and ask ball players in Tennessee if they would like a scholarship to get an education & play baseball at UT, not to mention playing in the best baseball conference in America. I think you know what the results would be.

To be critical of MOOKIE'S decision (it's his future, not yours) is shameful.

As for Mookie, how could you be anything but happy for a young man getting the opportunity to play SEC baseball for his home state university? I for one am extremely happy to have Mookie and the Betts family on board at UT. Take a poll and ask ball players in Tennessee if they would like a scholarship to get an education & play baseball at UT, not to mention playing in the best baseball conference in America. I think you know what the results would be.

Hope I didn't sound like I was being critical of Mookie's decision but with the current state at UT, I was hoping he would pick another school. I'll support him where ever he chooses to play. Hope he gets his education but I'll support him if he goes the other route also. TN has some really good players comming in.

Hope I didn't sound like I was being critical of Mookie's decision but with the current state at UT, I was hoping he would pick another school. I'll support him where ever he chooses to play. Hope he gets his education but I'll support him if he goes the other route also. TN has some really good players comming in.

Mookie will be successful in whatever path he chooses. Thanks for the clarification.

Sometimes when a program is down, it creates opportunity early for newcomers that might not be there otherwise.

There are always so many factors that go into why a kid picks one school over another. He had interest from South Carolina, Mississippi State, Vandy, and probably many others as well, but something must have compelled him to pick UT. It could be as silly as he likes the color orange, or because he thinks he'll start from day 1. Maybe his girlfriend is going there or his best friend is going there. Maybe he really liked the coaching staff or the players. Maybe that's where his parents want him to go. Maybe it's money-UT gave him a full ride while the others didn't. (I have no inside information, just thinking outloud)

Mookie's a good kid and I am happy to see he is going to play at the next level. I hope that the UT situation is better when/if he gets there next year.

Edited by Metroman

I don't know for sure, but I would say the fact that 7 of Mookie's teammates from Team Tennessee that finished second in this summers Sunbelt Classic have already committed to UT probably had something to do with his commitment. Those kids had a great time together playing in Oklahoma and I'm sure the idea of spending 3 or 4 years together playing SEC baseball at their home state school is a very exciting thing. :thumb:

Edited by DrFlint

I don't know for sure, but I would say the fact that 7 of Mookie's teammates from Team Tennessee that finished second in this summers Sunbelt Classic have already committed to UT probably had something to do with his commitment. Those kids had a great time together playing in Oklahoma and I'm sure the idea of spending 3 or 4 years together playing SEC baseball at their home state school is a very exciting thing. :thumb:

Can you tell us who the 7 players are? I know Mookie and the Horn kid from Columbia - who else has committed? There have been a bunch that have given their verbal to D1 schools. What a class of players!

Mookie will be successful in whatever path he chooses. Thanks for the clarification.

Sometimes when a program is down, it creates opportunity early for newcomers that might not be there otherwise.

Of course, there is a chance that he doesn't go to college anywhere. And, I don't know what the factor is, but he does have a lot of friends going there, baseball players and longtime friends. He was offered full or substantial scholarships at many schools. Also, he does have the likelihood of starting from day 1.

Can you tell us who the 7 players are? I know Mookie and the Horn kid from Columbia - who else has committed? There have been a bunch that have given their verbal to D1 schools. What a class of players!

University of Tennessee Committs:

Top 5 played for Team Tennessee in Oklahoma

Mookie Betts........... Overton

Jared Allen............... Polk Co.

Drew Massengale.... McMinn Co.

Parker Wormsley .... Knoxville Webb

David Horne............ Columbia Central

Jordan Sanford........ Powell

Samuel Davis........... Columbia St. CC

Edited by StealthBuster