Moore County Head Coach Job is Open

file13

After 17 years as a boys basketball coach, Bruce Slatten is switching sides.

Slatten has been named girls coach at Moore County, the Class A runnerup in 2010. He replaces Holly White, who joined the Riverdale coaching staff earlier this year.

“It’s going to be interesting to see if what we’ve done over the past 17 years will translate to the women’s side,†said Slatten, who during his most recent stop at Culleoka led that program to its first state tournament appearance in the 2007 Class A semifinals.

“The women’s game is the most fundamental game there is right now. I think some of the best coaches in the state are on the women’s side. I love challenges, and this is definitely a challenge.â€

The Lady Raiders finished 28-8 last year and will have 12 of 13 players from its 2009-10 roster, including starters Heather Vann, Cassie Kight, Rachel Garland and Sarah Raby.

“I saw them at the state championship game,†Slatten said. “I think they’ve got a chance to be pretty good.â€

Slatten, 45, has a record of 359-170 during stints at Perry County, Cleveland, Crockett County, White County and Culleoka. His 1997 Perry County team, led by Indiana signee Kirk Haston, won the Class A title after finishing as state runner-up the previous year.

“Coach Slatten has had a lot of quality basketball experiences. That’s No. 1, regardless of gender,†Moore County Principal Danny Mooney said. “I think there are enough credentials in his background to prove him as someone that knows the game and communicate the game.â€

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you exactly what they will play like if it is the way he always has coached, tough and everyone will be asked to give maximum effort or they won't play. If the people at Moore County will let him coach (and I believe they will)he can get them over the top. His record may not speak for itself but it darn well could.I have seen all his Culleoka teams and most of the great teams he had at Perry County, he will demand alot, be very well prepared and there will be very few if any that will outwork him.

Give Coach Slattin a chance. He will adapt, so will the kids.

Bball is in his blood. I knew his dad, Bill, a legend in the old style of womans basketball.

That is interesting. Did his dad run around following talent (6 places counting Moore County in 17 years) or did he stay at one place and program build? Where did he coach and when?

Edited by BobBBucks

That is interesting. Did his dad run around following talent (6 places counting Moore County in 17 years) or did he stay at one place and program build? Where did he coach and when?

R u kiddin, if you dont know of Bill Slatten, you dont know the game :huh: One of the all time winning coaches in the state! As for following talent... didnt know that trying to get closer to his kids was such a bad thing (read above)!!!

R u kiddin, if you dont know of Bill Slatten, you dont know the game :huh: One of the all time winning coaches in the state! As for following talent... didnt know that trying to get closer to his kids was such a bad thing (read above)!!!

Bill Slatten coached in the 50s and 60s at Sparta/White Co.

Bill Slatten also coached at Byrdstown/Pickett County and Lebanon. Won over 800 games coaching both the boys and girls. At one time he held 2 of the 5 longest winning streaks in Tennessee girls history, 65 and 79 games respectively. Was 199-4 in 6 years, 1952-57 as girls coach at Sparta. Won over 90% of the girls games he coached in, there is your history lesson. It is in the Hall of at White County High if you want to see for yourself. :)

Edited by myteamsonthefloor

Bill Slatten also coached at Byrdstown/Pickett County and Lebanon. Won over 800 games coaching both the boys and girls. At one time he held 2 of the 5 longest winning streaks in Tennessee girls history, 65 and 79 games respectively. Was 199-4 in 6 years, 1952-57 as girls coach at Sparta. Won over 90% of the girls games he coached in, there is your history lesson. It is in the Hall of fame at White County High if you want to see for yourself. :)

Thanks for digging the data out. I knew it was out there somewhere. :flower:

• 6 years later...