MJ vs. Science Hill

MJBASEBALL95

Obviously this is a issue that either the head coach or the athletic director has to take care of. Being a head coach going on 7 years now in no way shape or form should any outsiders have any influence on the decision making of a program. If it was me I would adress this issue as quick as possible to my athletic director. I respect that these two guys are trying to look out for Daniel and whats best for him but as a scout your job is to show up at the games sit in the stands and watch the game.

Edwards needs to realize he is the head coach and he is put in that situation for a reason. If the rumors are true about these two guys making the decisions when and who Daniel should throw against I would either A.Tell the athletic director to keep them away from my dugout as far as possible when it is game day or B. Find a new coach who would put up with this crap.

I am not even affiliated with Science Hill baseball but I can tell you by following earlier teams in the past that if this was Bernie Young these guys would be at the house scout or no scout. Common sense unless Daniel was in serious pain and just couldn't go you have to realize you are facing elimination and you have to throw him that 6:00 game or it defeats the purpose of pulling him early in the 2nd game against Coffee County.

Something was not right down at the state tournament either someone said something to Edwards to pressure him not to throw Daniel or he is the worst gambler on the planet.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have talked to some people close to the situation and this is what I understand to be true. Norris pitched the Monday region game and turned around on short rest and threw a complete game against Halls in the Friday SubState game. Edwards did not want to put the extra strain on his arm to turn him around on short rest again and have him making consecutive starts without the proper rest. Everyone would have liked to have Norris throw game one but if Edwards felt like it was too much on his arm and he was looking out for the kid then who can blame him? If they win that game and he wins game two they would be set obviously and he would have looked like a genius anyway. If they had thrown Norris someone would have complained that he was throwing without the proper rest. I guess when you are coaching the #1 prospect in the country it means that somebody is going to question every decision you make. Pitch him, rest him, either way someone is upset and thinks you're an idiot. My understanding on the second game was that SH got a lead and they tried to pull Norris out of the game with his pitch count still really low, thinking that he could start the night game and still have several innings in him. When the game got tight again towards the end they had to go back to him to keep from getting eliminated. Obviously that was not the plan but one they felt they needed to go with to stay alive in the tournament. I also would be very surprised if there is anyone other than Edwards making the decisions on when/how to use Daniel. Obviously their coaching staff is doing something right to have started the year 9-7 and wind up finishing the year in the State Tournament. Congrats to the SH boys and all the teams that made it this far.

Farragut pithched Phifer on three days rest to start the state tourney and he's throwing the championship game today on two days rest. I assure you the coaches at Farragut know how to handle pithchers. Not throwing Norris in the opening game and the throwing him only 3 innings in the tourney should cost whoever is making the decisions their job. Why pull Norris in the Coffee Co. game if you weren't planning on throwing him against Mt. Juliet?

Slacker is a grown man not related to Science Hill but a regular attender of games. If you think that D-No has not been pulled to save him from losses then you need to put down the Hill kool-aid. Even many of the players from the last two years will tell you that he has. It is not Daniel's fault, he wanted the ball yesterday but Edwards was doing what the advisors told him to do. Don't do anything that might get him a loss. Daniel wants to compete and prove that he has the stuff but Edwards and the advisors are afraid of what will hapen to his standing if he is beat.

Again, I'm not bashing Edwards except it is funny that he pitched him 180 innings in two days and yet said he could not pitch yesterday on 3 day's rest because he threw 113 pitches on Friday. Get real. It works when it is good for you but doesn't when it is not. The EC Yankees will get Daniel straightened out this summer and be ready to go. I wouldn't be surprised if he opted not to play his senior year and get ready for the draft.

You must be on drugs or something. "The EC Yankees will get him straightened out"............"Don't do anything to get him a loss"....................."advisors are afraid of what will happen to his standing if he gets beat." Do you think a pro scout is worried about his record, or what they see in person. They see a stud athlete with a 26-1 record who is a lefty throwing in the mid 90's with a very good curve to go with it. He's lost one game and that was as a 9th grader. He's a great kid with a great attitude that works very hard. Yeah, you tagged it...........................he's the #1 pitching prospect in the country for next year because of his "record."

I doubt losing a game in the state tournament would kill his talent or change the opinion of the scouts who have seen him. By the way, I also highly doubt any team would have hit DN very consistently, no matter who they were. He's the real deal..............but there's always those out there that want "real deals" to fail (just ask Tim Tebow)

Some people are scary......................you're one of them.

Hey Coach. BTW, I know you are the wrestling coach for SHHS who verbally attacks kids from other teams and tries to start stuff from your dugout. You are a joke and embarrassment to your own players who know you know nothing about baseball, they just let you hang out.

I have said nothing about Daniel not being a great player. I just do not think Edwards is a good coach. I'm not a fan of the advisors that Daniel has and the impact they have on the team, Daniel, and Edwards. Yes, Daniel has some things that need to be fixed and I believe the EC Yankees coaches will fix them. I'm also confident Daniel would tell you the same thing. He has been very inconsistent in his pitching the last several weeks. He got pulled against Daniel Boone because of too many walks and getting hit by one of the lower teams in the conference. It seemed that when his buddy, Kevin, hit him in the first inning that it seemed to take something out of him. He also had too many walks in the conference tournament. At one point he had 9 k's and 7 walks and 2 hit by pitches. EC will help him get his motion back consistent.

You are just trying to take care of your boss who is getting a lot of heat for making some very questionable calls this year. He has depended on Jeff for the past couple years and now there is no one to help him make those tough calls, except two advisors.

I thought the point of being a good pitcher is so that you WILL pitch in the tough games? It doesn't say a lot about a kid who only wins against terrible teams. He may throw 90mph, but walking 5ppl and hitting 3 ppl a game isn't exactly what a team looks for in a pitcher. Speed doesn't mean anything if the kid can't throw strikes and win when it counts. Clearly he doesn't win when it counts, because he is never in when it counts. How Norris is rated above Pfeifer is unbelievable. Pfeifer is like 40-3 in 3yrs, Norris is what? 26-1? Pfeifer has led his team to 3 state titles, pitching in 2 of them I believe.. I think Ramsey pitched in the title game his fresh. year? Either way, Pfeifer was the "Ace" that year, and last year, and this year. Norris has been to state twice at least, but does he have any wins @ state? You will have to let me know. Yes, Pfeifer has better talent around him which def. helps, but Pfeifer has won them plenty of games purely because of his pitching... Like against Houston, a 1 hitter with 14 Ks in the state championship game? He also had a 4 hitter I believe against one of the best teams in Florida and had 16 Ks in the game (Farragut won 2-0). So, like I said. What exactly has Norris done?

Hey Coach. BTW, I know you are the wrestling coach for SHHS who verbally attacks kids from other teams and tries to start stuff from your dugout. You are a joke and embarrassment to your own players who know you know nothing about baseball, they just let you hang out.

I have said nothing about Daniel not being a great player. I just do not think Edwards is a good coach. I'm not a fan of the advisors that Daniel has and the impact they have on the team, Daniel, and Edwards. Yes, Daniel has some things that need to be fixed and I believe the EC Yankees coaches will fix them. I'm also confident Daniel would tell you the same thing. He has been very inconsistent in his pitching the last several weeks. He got pulled against Daniel Boone because of too many walks and getting hit by one of the lower teams in the conference. It seemed that when his buddy, Kevin, hit him in the first inning that it seemed to take something out of him. He also had too many walks in the conference tournament. At one point he had 9 k's and 7 walks and 2 hit by pitches. EC will help him get his motion back consistent.

You are just trying to take care of your boss who is getting a lot of heat for making some very questionable calls this year. He has depended on Jeff for the past couple years and now there is no one to help him make those tough calls, except two advisors.

First off, for Slacker, I am neither a coach nor teacher at SH. You just lost your credibility there. Let's say DN is not the #1 pitcher or prospect in the nation for a minute. It's not an exact science to begin with. It's not like he's wild or something..........many of his walks are due to trying to hit the corner and kids laying off of the pitches because they can't hit him with regularity to begin with. The best in the pros get hit, so why would any HS pitcher be any different? What team wouldn't benefit from having someone like Jeff Reed as a coach.............so you have no point there.

If you think someone is being protected, then there's no use trying to convince you different. DN is a GREAT pitcher and prospect. He needs no protection. Just ask Halls.

I think what everyone is trying to say is that, for a kid as highly touted as D-No, there is no acceptable reason he should pitch only 3 innings in the state tournament. Even if he threw a complete game the Monday before and pitched against Halls, a player of his caliber should be going the distance on the mound game one of the tournament. I think D-No's legacy is unfortunately hurt by his showing at the tournament, or the visible lack there of. All the people who love to argue the Pfeifer/Norris debate should now see who the premier pitcher is in TN. 15 IP, 25 K's, 0 ER, 6 BB, 7 H's. Those are Pfeifer's numbers from the tournament, and he is the only pitcher in the history of the state who is 3-0 in state title games. Both are tremendous pitchers, but D-No's lack of innings and facing quality opponents is what puts him behind Pfeifer in my book.

I think what everyone is trying to say is that, for a kid as highly touted as D-No, there is no acceptable reason he should pitch only 3 innings in the state tournament. Even if he threw a complete game the Monday before and pitched against Halls, a player of his caliber should be going the distance on the mound game one of the tournament. I think D-No's legacy is unfortunately hurt by his showing at the tournament, or the visible lack there of. All the people who love to argue the Pfeifer/Norris debate should now see who the premier pitcher is in TN. 15 IP, 25 K's, 0 ER, 6 BB, 7 H's. Those are Pfeifer's numbers from the tournament, and he is the only pitcher in the history of the state who is 3-0 in state title games. Both are tremendous pitchers, but D-No's lack of innings and facing quality opponents is what puts him behind Pfeifer in my book.

Hey, I agree with you there. I knew nothing about how SH did until the day after they were eliminated. After they lost the first game, I asked if Daniel pitched and was told no. My first thought, and trust me I have no axe to grind with their coach because I don't even know his name, was why would you not use your ace in the first game to stay in the winner's bracket? I was told SH was up 7-2 and then starting making a ton of errors and lost. It appeared the coach rolled the dice to get D-No to the second game and it backfired.

Then, I heard about the game where Daniel pitched something like 1 2/3 innings, then was pulled, and came back in for an inning or two. Bottom line, it appears their ace pitcher only pitched 2 or 3 innings at the state tournament. I laughingly said that was the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever heard for a coach to get in a situation where you're eliminated in 3 games and your stud pitched 3 innings. I do blame the coach, but it has nothing to do with Daniel's talent or stature in TN HS baseball.

Slacker is appropriately screen named :thumb: