bat specifications for next year

dogonedog

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A change to Rule 1-3-2 regarding bat specifications was made in the hope it will clarify bat compliance. The rule, which will be effective January 1, 2012, specifies that the bat should be a “smooth cylinder implement from the top of the cap to the top of the knob.”

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=2772

You left out the part that the bat must cost $299-$425. That's the "manufacturer's rule" :roflol:

a key passage in the new rule is:

The new rule also states that non-wood bats must be labeled with a rectangular certification mark “a minimum of a half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color.” The new standard ensures that performances by non-wood bats are more comparable to those of wood bats. It’s also expected to minimize risk, improve play and increase teaching opportunities.

That mark MUST be placed on the bat by the manufacturer. In other words, if you purchase a bat this year, even though it isn't a composite and would be legal by other means, it is still illegal in 2012 if it is missing the new BBCOR standard certification mark.

Note this sentence in the rule:

The change will also require that all non-wood bats meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, which is the standard used by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Formerly, non-wood bats had to meet the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) standard.

According to my Louisville Slugger saleman, there are no changes in High School for next year. The NFHS is meeting in two weeks to discuss bat changes for 2012. It is everyone's assumption that the NFHS will adopt the same rules as NCAA, NAIA and NJCCA effective for the 2012 season.

According to my Louisville Slugger saleman, there are no changes in High School for next year. The NFHS is meeting in two weeks to discuss bat changes for 2012. It is everyone's assumption that the NFHS will adopt the same rules as NCAA, NAIA and NJCCA effective for the 2012 season.

Your salesman may be trying to sell you a bat! :thumb: Here is the press-release: http://www.aiaonline.org/story/uploads/2010_Baseball_Rules_Changes_press_release_1246997277.pdf from NFHS. I am advising kids not to purchase ANY bats until they can get one with the proper BBCOR certification mark. Your Louisville Slugger salesman's advice may differ :thumb:

no i don't think any of the bat companies want me buy a bunch of bats that are no good to anyone and put me out of business. All the bat companies are telling us that the BBCor will be a NFHS standard for 2012. It is a pain for everyone to have to carry two different bats (1 for hs and 1 for college). I wish it were going to be effective for both this next year. I could not read your link but the on ei read:

A change to Rule 1-3-2 regarding bat specifications was made in the hope it will clarify bat compliance. The rule, which will be effective January 1, 2012, specifies that the bat should be a “smooth cylinder implement from the top of the cap to the top of the knob.”

“The committee was looking to clarify the rule and make the purchase of bats an easier process,” said Elliot Hopkins, NFHS director of educational services and liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee. “We want to make sure that kids and parents know what is permissible.”

The change will also require that all non-wood bats meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, which is the standard used by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Formerly, non-wood bats had to meet the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) standard.

I guess we will all know after the June 7th meeting.

This rule change is going to totally change the game of High School and College baseball.

Meh. Bats that are used will only last a season or two anyway and they'll be legal in summer ball or for BP bats. The manufacturer should either take back bats that aren't legal or provide a sticker for an interim period for bats that meet the specifications but aren't in compliance with the labeling.

Pitchers. Throw inside. You're going to like the new bat specs.