Culleoka

thenomad

Me either

This is going to make things very interesting in the entire Region 6A. That makes 2 girls coaches from 6A to leave their school to take on a boys job at a rival school. Coach Willard left the Summertown girls to take the Wayne Co boys and now DeJernette leaving the CA girls to take on the Cully boys. This is going to be an interesting year in the region!!!!! And that isnt counting that Coach Morris left Cwood girls to take the Summertown girls.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to make things very interesting in the entire Region 6A. That makes 2 girls coaches from 6A to leave their school to take on a boys job at a rival school. Coach Willard left the Summertown girls to take the Wayne Co boys and now DeJernette leaving the CA girls to take on the Cully boys. This is going to be an interesting year in the region!!!!! And that isnt counting that Coach Morris left Cwood girls to take the Summertown girls.

DeJarnette was boys coach at CA.

It's been 2 or 3 years since he coached both teams.

No doubt Slatton leaving was a big blow to the program, as it would be to any program. He is a great coach that is next to impossible to replace at the high school level. DeJarnette did some good thing in his time at CA. I was shocked to hear he had left. Can he replace Slatton? No. This year may be an "off" year. (kinda like district runner-up last year was an "off" year) Who knows.

I love how nobody can stand to be in the same gym as Culleoka but as soon as the coaching job opens up the whole county and half the state comes running. Thought that was interesting.

No doubt Slatton leaving was a big blow to the program, as it would be to any program. He is a great coach that is next to impossible to replace at the high school level. DeJarnette did some good thing in his time at CA. I was shocked to hear he had left. Can he replace Slatton? No. This year may be an "off" year. (kinda like district runner-up last year was an "off" year) Who knows.

I love how nobody can stand to be in the same gym as Culleoka but as soon as the coaching job opens up the whole county and half the state comes running. Thought that was interesting.

i personally heard it in a different manner ha. at least for dejarnette going there. but, that one should be kept to myself, don't want to start unnecessary rumors!

cullypride, some of what you say is pretty accurate here, but to clarify "pretty good things".... For one thing, the program is rumored to be rejuvenated, with one of the two senios who quit coming back. Second, there are some new really talented younger players coming up, something about a talented 6'2 kid freshman(Roberts kid?) transferring in, and some who used to play, coming back.

Remember, DeJarnette was runner up in the State of TN when Slatten won it, Perry County vs CA. Slatten had the 6'10" Hastons, the future Indiana All American and NBA player, as well as a massive lineup, including another at 6'7" and several 6'2"'s to 6'5"s. They were 39-0 and some think it was the best team ever assimilated in Tennessee in any district. So don't sell DeJarnette short. He very well may, and likely would have have a had a state championship had the teams been reversed.

Culleoka has a good coach, and CA came out pretty well as well, with Ron Harris and Moore County with Slatten. Whatever works....

All good, just different.

Edited by BobBBucks

i personally heard it in a different manner ha. at least for dejarnette going there. but, that one should be kept to myself, don't want to start unnecessary rumors!

Wise move on the rumormill. LOL Coach Dejarnette is a good coach, so they probably wanted him. He is a good coach right? You are a CA fan, if memory serves. I would imagine a lot of teams in this district or region would.

All good, just different.

Edited by BobBBucks

I'm not trying to start rumors either. Just what I heard.

cullypride, Culleoka is a great coaching position. I think it could be argued it is the best position in the county, but that is arguable. I can see both things happening. Culleoka likely was in a pinch at the last minute hiring, but there is no denying they likely had some pretty good choices of coaches to pick from. They take basketball fairly seriously down there. Didn't Culleoka legend Casey Holt went on to be an All American and European professional himself. When did he graduate? It hasn't been too long ago, right before Williams showed up.

Should be some great BBall in 11A this year. But this area has some real stuff, Marshall County, Spring Hill, and Columbia Central. Not to mention slipping over and watching Summertown, Perry County and Waynesboro duke it out. Any one of them will beat any team out of 11A this year handedly, in the region. No shortage of great ball to be watched.

CA should win their district this year. Then again, they were supposed to win it last year. While suprising Dejarnette would leave such a talented bunch, I would be willing to bet they don't have anything for a long while behind these guys.

Edited by BobBBucks

cullypride, Culleoka is a great coaching position. I think it could be argued it is the best position in the county, but that is arguable. I can see both things happening. Culleoka likely was in a pinch at the last minute hiring, but there is no denying they likely had some pretty good choices of coaches to pick from. They take basketball fairly seriously down there. Didn't Culleoka legend Casey Holt went on to be an All American and European professional himself. When did he graduate? It hasn't been too long ago, right before Williams showed up.

Should be some great BBall in 11A this year. But this area has some real stuff, Marshall County, Spring Hill, and Columbia Central. Not to mention slipping over and watching Summertown, Perry County and Waynesboro duke it out. Any one of them will beat any team out of 11A this year handedly, in the region. No shortage of great ball to be watched.

CA should win their district this year. Then again, they were supposed to win it last year. While suprising Dejarnette would leave such a talented bunch, I would be willing to bet they don't have anything for a long while behind these guys.

I wouldn't say that CA don't have anything for a long time behind these guys. I believe four of the players returning from last years team that either started or got a lot of PT are Jrs this season. Plus last year middle school team was runner up in the county tournament. Yes... I know that was middle school but CA's middle school teams are usually pretty good and finish in the top two of the county. This years middle school team has two of the best guards around that will make a impact on the high school team in the next few years. They are the Cary twins.

Edited by Willie

WOW, who would have thought Dejarnnete would leave CA, maybe the idea of him losing his "golden" boy in M Williams. I mean, we all knew that the talent level had decreased in the past few years at Culleoka, and Slatton was going to leave like he did many years ago when coming to Cully, look it up, he left a program after he sucked it dry before(see Perry County)...had many people say there was recruitment issues (just like at Culleoka)and left the program when the time was right, look out Moore County it will just be more of the same. As for the region of 6A, this has a few interesting turns, there was something else going on at CA, the Summertown programs looked poised for another great year, and all this confusion and turmoil from 11A will more than likely cause a new team to come out on top this year. Will it be enough to beat the teams from the other half of the region? who knows..