Loretto Football?

Bulldog97

Adamsville beats Loretto 6 scores to 0 with starters and tied 1-1 with second team! Good job Cardinals.

Theres one thing you have to consider, when it comes to Loretto scrimmage games. Loretto's new coach (Jason Busby) played under and learned his coaching philosophy from coach Butch Toner at Loretto. Loretto had some outstanding teams under Toner including a couple of undefeated (regular season) teams. During Toner's entire career at Loretto, he never won a single scrimmage game. Not even with the undefeated teams. Thats because Toner only played his starters for only one series or sometimes 2 at the most, before playing every single player he had for the rest of the scrimmage. Coach Busby does this also.

Not to take anything away from Adamsville, I am sure they are going to have a very good team this year. As far as Loretto goes, I would be surprised (pleasantly) if they won 4 games this season. I'm sure they will be improved over last years squad, but they have a good bit of rebuilding to do.

GOOD LUCK MUSTANGS!!!

Edited by fargo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that the people of Loretto can be patient, and give Busby a real chance to turn that program around. He is a good coach and better man. He will get it right over there. I do believe that Loretto dresses out too many players most years. That can be a good thing, but it can be overwhelming when trying o focus on your staters.

Theres one thing you have to consider, when it comes to Loretto scrimmage games. Loretto's new coach (Jason Busby) played under and learned his coaching philosophy from coach Butch Toner at Loretto. Loretto had some outstanding teams under Toner including a couple of undefeated (regular season) teams. During Toner's entire career at Loretto, he never won a single scrimmage game. Not even with the undefeated teams. Thats because Toner only played his starters for only one series or sometimes 2 at the most, before playing every single player he had for the rest of the scrimmage. Coach Busby does this also.

Not to take anything away from Adamsville, I am sure they are going to have a very good team this year. As far as Loretto goes, I would be surprised (pleasantly) if they won 4 games this season. I'm sure they will be improved over last years squad, but they have a good bit of rebuilding to do.

GOOD LUCK MUSTANGS!!!

I agree with about 99% of what you posted. Coach Toner lead two teams to the final 8 but he only had one go undefeated in the regular season 10-0, which by the way is the only team in school history to accomplish that feat. I am an old Mustang who was a member of the '91 10-0 team. We finished 11-1 when a small college team from Nashville(BA) beat us in the second round 42-28. We had a two year run of 20-3. Good luck to Coach Busby and the Mustangs. I would love to see him turn it around.

I agree with about 99% of what you posted. Coach Toner lead two teams to the final 8 but he only had one go undefeated in the regular season 10-0, which by the way is the only team in school history to accomplish that feat. I am an old Mustang who was a member of the '91 10-0 team. We finished 11-1 when a small college team from Nashville(BA) beat us in the second round 42-28. We had a two year run of 20-3. Good luck to Coach Busby and the Mustangs. I would love to see him turn it around.

Yes, I was at that Brentwood Acad vs Loretto game. I truly believe if they had the same system back then (Private schools seperate playoffs from public), Loretto would have won the State Championship that year. I attended the state championship game that year. It was Brentwood Acad vs Knoxville Powell. Brentwood destroyed Knox Powell 49-7. Loretto could have beaten Knox Powell. I never missed a game when Toner was coaching there. I myself played for Loretto in the mid eighties (82-86). My freshmen year we went 8-3 under coach Tim Yeager. Yeager was fired during the offseason over some teenage drama crap that actually never happened (I know this for a fact). The next 3 years we went 3-7 each year, under Coach White.

PS: A small college team is a good description of that 91 Brentwood Academy team.

Loretto didn't look to bad at all against Red Boiling Springs in the Columbia Jamboree. Got some big boys down Lorreto this year..... Loretto 20..... Red Boiling Springs 0.

Too bad the rest of the games got cancelled due to rain and lightning...... mTp never got a chance to even get warmed up........ Friendship Christian put up 7 on their first possession with a few runs, 2 passes, one of those passes a 20-30 yard TD down the sideline and mTp only got in a few offensive drives before the Ref's halted the game due to lighting. Game lasted about 10 minutes I guess, mTp never really got a chance to answer though they were moving the ball.....FC 7.... mTp 0

Loretto didn't look to bad at all against Red Boiling Springs in the Columbia Jamboree. Got some big boys down Lorreto this year..... Loretto 20..... Red Boiling Springs 0.

Too bad the rest of the games got cancelled due to rain and lightning...... mTp never got a chance to even get warmed up........ Friendship Christian put up 7 on their first possession with a few runs, 2 passes, one of those passes a 20-30 yard TD down the sideline and mTp only got in a few offensive drives before the Ref's halted the game due to lighting. Game lasted about 10 minutes I guess, mTp never really got a chance to answer though they were moving the ball.....FC 7.... mTp 0

The Mustangs did look pretty good Friday night. Could this be the year

they are the best team in the county?

1975 team went 9-0 regular season.91 team was good but you weren't the only or 1st team to have undefeated season at Loretto.as a matter of fact the 1975 team beat a Lexington Alabama team 6-0 coached by none other than Chales F."Butch" Toner.

1975 team went 9-0 regular season.91 team was good but you weren't the only or 1st team to have undefeated season at Loretto.as a matter of fact the 1975 team beat a Lexington Alabama team 6-0 coached by none other than Chales F."Butch" Toner.

Thats what I was thinking also. Was'nt the 75 team coached by Garner Ezell Sr.? And I believe the quarterback was Garner Ezell Jr. Loretto's athletic dept. must not keep very good or acurate records, because I am pretty sure that Coach Garner Ezell had more than one undefeated team. Garner is my uncle and I've heard the family talk about his undefeated seasons before. Garner Jr. went on to be the starting QB at UNA and was very good. He also became a very succesful football coach at Cherokee High School in North Alabama and later at Athens High School in Athens AL. Loretto should have tried to get Garner Jr. to come coach at Loretto during the lean years in the 1980's. He would have got the job done I'm sure.

Thats what I was thinking also. Was'nt the 75 team coached by Garner Ezell Sr.? And I believe the quarterback was Garner Ezell Jr. Loretto's athletic dept. must not keep very good or acurate records, because I am pretty sure that Coach Garner Ezell had more than one undefeated team. Garner is my uncle and I've heard the family talk about his undefeated seasons before. Garner Jr. went on to be the starting QB at UNA and was very good. He also became a very succesful football coach at Cherokee High School in North Alabama and later at Athens High School in Athens AL. Loretto should have tried to get Garner Jr. to come coach at Loretto during the lean years in the 1980's. He would have got the job done I'm sure.

Garner Jr. last played High School in 1973.Kevin Williams was QB of undefeated 1975 team.

The Mustangs did look pretty good Friday night. Could this be the year

they are the best team in the county?

In the County?? I don't know, Lawrence County High might differ with ya on that thought.....If you meant Region?..... Whew, I wouldn't think so. Loretto would have to do a complete 180 from what they were last year..... Could happen, but maybe unlikely. It'd take a heck of a coaching job to turn it all around in that short a time. Hey, anythings possible if they all want it bad enough....... Good luck this season.

In the County?? I don't know, Lawrence County High might differ with ya on that thought.....If you meant Region?..... Whew, I wouldn't think so. Loretto would have to do a complete 180 from what they were last year..... Could happen, but maybe unlikely. It'd take a heck of a coaching job to turn it all around in that short a time. Hey, anythings possible if they all want it bad enough....... Good luck this season.

I hope JVB123 was being sarcastic! At one time that used to be a rival game but nowdays

it is used to get the money flowing. Good luck to both county teams. I hope they both do

well in their divisions!

My bad I was one that year. Probably why I missed that, lol. And It's great L-town won there Jamboree but RB is not good at all. But still maybe it's a start to something.