CAK 2010

JuniorsDad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrimmage with Hardin Valley... How did the warriors look?

Not bad for a first scrimmage. Hard to analyze a controlled scrimmage when each team gets the ball a set number of plays, and when one squad starts substituting earlier than another. Also, CAK protects their QB in scrimmages with a "no hit" rule, so whenever a defender even gets close the officials are instructed to call him down. Several times in a real game he would have had huge gains on scrambles or screen passes but was called down. After seeing the Hardin Valley QB take some wicked shots and barely get back up, I'm thinking they probably should have employeed the same "no hit" rule. I believe the scrimmage ended up 1 score to 1 score for the #1's and 2 to 2 or maybe 2 to 3 in Hardin Valleys favor when the subs were playing. Of course CAK doesn't have a freshman team like Hardin Valley does, so it's really a bad comparison of our freshmen to their JV's.

Overall, I though the CAK defense looked tough. The D-line did a great job of clogging things up and keeping the guards off of the LB's. The LB's were flying around making a lot of tackles, and some of the hits were slobber knockers! No deep balls were given up and overall pass coverage was good, allowing for at least one coverage sack. The D had 1 INT and several sacks. One play with multiple breakdowns in assignments, combined with poor angles and a good effort by the Hawk RB, lead to the D giving up a 60+yard TD run. Other than that, I thought the #1 D looks solid. After last year's impressive defensive improvements, this year's D could help establish an identity at CAK for more than just a good offense. They can play defense too.

Offensively, it was kind of a mixed bag for me. While we moved the ball well, both running and passing, we seemed a bit hesitant at times in the passing game. We had some nice throws and catches as well as runs, but we missed on a couple of opportunites as well. While I thought our O looked good, with 8 returning starters and an All State QB returning, I'm holding the offense to a higher standard, even for a first scrimmage. The good news was that there were no INT's thrown or fumbles lost or bad snaps charged to the #1 offense. The only penalty was for a block in the back on a very long gainer down field. Overall, not bad, but still needs some tweaking. I'm not worried at all. This group should be ready come August 19th. :thumb:

after the first scrimmage, any opinions changes in the starting lineup???

I think Juniorsdad's starting line up looks probable for the most part. I noticed a lot of #71 Fritts at center as well as DT. Any thoughts on where he ends up seeing the most playing time? If he was able to contribute at center, I could see it freeing up Fortner (#67) to do some interesting things. On the other hand, if Fritts is best suited at DT, that certainly offers some helpful depth with Fortner going both ways. I can also see tremendous benefit in being able to slide Fortner to end. Juniorsdad's front 4 on defense looks pretty formidable to me.

thoughts?

Not bad for a first scrimmage. Hard to analyze a controlled scrimmage when each team gets the ball a set number of plays, and when one squad starts substituting earlier than another. Also, CAK protects their QB in scrimmages with a "no hit" rule, so whenever a defender even gets close the officials are instructed to call him down. Several times in a real game he would have had huge gains on scrambles or screen passes but was called down. After seeing the Hardin Valley QB take some wicked shots and barely get back up, I'm thinking they probably should have employeed the same "no hit" rule. I believe the scrimmage ended up 1 score to 1 score for the #1's and 2 to 2 or maybe 2 to 3 in Hardin Valleys favor when the subs were playing. Of course CAK doesn't have a freshman team like Hardin Valley does, so it's really a bad comparison of our freshmen to their JV's.

Overall, I though the CAK defense looked tough. The D-line did a great job of clogging things up and keeping the guards off of the LB's. The LB's were flying around making a lot of tackles, and some of the hits were slobber knockers! No deep balls were given up and overall pass coverage was good, allowing for at least one coverage sack. The D had 1 INT and several sacks. One play with multiple breakdowns in assignments, combined with poor angles and a good effort by the Hawk RB, lead to the D giving up a 60+yard TD run. Other than that, I thought the #1 D looks solid. After last year's impressive defensive improvements, this year's D could help establish an identity at CAK for more than just a good offense. They can play defense too.

Offensively, it was kind of a mixed bag for me. While we moved the ball well, both running and passing, we seemed a bit hesitant at times in the passing game. We had some nice throws and catches as well as runs, but we missed on a couple of opportunites as well. While I thought our O looked good, with 8 returning starters and an All State QB returning, I'm holding the offense to a higher standard, even for a first scrimmage. The good news was that there were no INT's thrown or fumbles lost or bad snaps charged to the #1 offense. The only penalty was for a block in the back on a very long gainer down field. Overall, not bad, but still needs some tweaking. I'm not worried at all. This group should be ready come August 19th. :thumb:

Excellent post FBD.

I was very impressed with the CAK offense and defense for a first scrimmage. Still plenty of work to do to be ready for this year's schedule, but an excellent start. The defensive front 8 looked very good with the LB's stealing the show of the entire scrimmage. I saw 4 wicked hits delivered by CAK LB's. The Hardin Valley offense didn't give the best opportunity to see CAK's secondary in a lot of pass coverage, but for the most part they too looked solid for the first scrimmage when called upon. On the defensive line, I was not surprised to see Walker, Powers, and Fortner perform well, but I was interested in who would see time at the other DE position and how they would perform. I thought Leinius (#39 normally) looked very good, and should Fortner stay at DT, I believe Leinius potentiall can more than hold his own at end.

I was very impressed with CAK's young receivers. Anyone who watched last year knows that #27 is more than ready as is #16, but it was great to see #5 (Murchinson) and #25 (Smith) stepping up. They will be an outstanding addition to the offense IMO. I believe both have the ability to stretch the field as well as deliver yards after the catch.

This weeks scrimmage at Oak Ridge should provide plenty of challenge for CAK. While OR is probably not back to where it was a few years ago, I believe there will be plenty of talent and size on the lines, and some athletes at the skill positions. I expect their secondary to be athletic and very physical. Having said that, when you face Alcoa twice a year every year, you don't need to back down from anyone. This will be a good second scrimmage for the Warriors to continue to improve and get ready for the real season.

Edited by Govolsknox

I think Juniorsdad's starting line up looks probable for the most part. I noticed a lot of #71 Fritts at center as well as DT. Any thoughts on where he ends up seeing the most playing time? If he was able to contribute at center, I could see it freeing up Fortner (#67) to do some interesting things. On the other hand, if Fritts is best suited at DT, that certainly offers some helpful depth with Fortner going both ways. I can also see tremendous benefit in being able to slide Fortner to end. Juniorsdad's front 4 on defense looks pretty formidable to me.

thoughts?

I think that starting lineup looks pretty accurate right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change before the season opener. On D there may be a LB position undetermined and we will see a CB other than #30 for the Grace game. I was impressed with the way Lenius(#33 in scrimmage) came off the corner at left DE. He showed me that he can play and I expect him to get a lot of snaps even if he doesn't start.

NEWS today is that we are getting a nice size lineman transfer from Fulton. No idea about his elgibility for this upcoming season. Also heard that #43 will be elgible after 2 or 3 games. He will add depth at RB & LB.

I think that starting lineup looks pretty accurate right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change before the season opener. On D there may be a LB position undetermined and we will see a CB other than #30 for the Grace game. I was impressed with the way Lenius(#33 in scrimmage) came off the corner at left DE. He showed me that he can play and I expect him to get a lot of snaps even if he doesn't start.

NEWS today is that we are getting a nice size lineman transfer from Fulton. No idea about his elgibility for this upcoming season. Also heard that #43 will be elgible after 2 or 3 games. He will add depth at RB & LB.

Very interesting. I'm very glad to hear #43 will be eligible. Is that official or probable speculation? I was thinking that answer was due later this month.

What year is the Fulton transfer?

Does anybody know what position the player form fulton might play at? Is there a possibility that he might play right defensive end?

I don't know any specifics about this player, but I highly doubt he will be eligible for the 2010 season. Unless there are special circumstances, if he played for Fulton last year, I don't believe he will be available right away. Of course, I hope I'm wrong! Depth is always a challenge at a 3A school, except Alcoa. :blush: