BigG Changes Careers

CoachT

Good luck to BigG!! CAK and the sport of soccer in TN will miss him but he is headed into an exciting new career.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/jul/26/gerlach-steps-down-cak-soccer-coach/?partner=RSS

Thanks coach! Was wondering how long it would take to get on the "T"!

My family and I are both sad and excited about this change. I have been wanting to get into sports ministry for years now, and the situation presented itself after my trip to Brazil with the Charlotte Eagles this summer. While I will still remain teaching at CAK, I will miss the boys and the program greatly. It has been an INCREDIBLE journey over the past 8 years. I have had the honor to coach some incredible young men and women during my tenure at CAK, as well as coach against the same. I also count many coaches as good friends, and will miss those moments, as well.

I will still be coaching, however, but on an international stage instead of local. While I won't be competing for any type of championship anymore, I feel that there is a much greater "prize" that I will get to share with kids all over the world. I have also had several calls from players who are wanting to get into this field, who didn't know how to progress, and now will hopefully be joining us. If any player or parent is interested in looking into what I will be doing, you can go to www.CharlotteEagles.com and click on "international tours" and then "youth tours" to find out more. There is a video on the bottom that shares what tour I will be with. Here is a link to the video

I will also still be on Coach T even more-so than ever! You all can't get rid of me that easily!

• 4 weeks later...

G. I have been out of town for the past few weeks (taking care of an ailing mother). I was ASTONISHED when I heard this news.

Over the past 8 years I have come to respect you not only as a great coach but even more so as a tremendous person, one who walks out who he is in Christ every day. What an honor it has been to call you friend. Best of luck my friend, I will talk to you soon.

Wow! That could change things in A/AA soccer. Do we know who or when he is being replaced?

CAK will continue to be a quality squad. While I might have "captained" the ship, the crew was incredible, as well as the parent and administrative support, so I believe they will do quite well. They are doing a nation wide search for a coach, and meanwhile David Parker, who has been my assistant for the past 3 years, is taking over the reigns, and will do a fantastic job in making a seamless transition. He knows what CAK soccer is all about, and has a heart for the boys.

Gene, sorry to pop this one on ya. I missed you at the 1390 camp a few weeks back, and I would have filled you in there. I count you as a great friend and fellow rival (one of the best games of my high school coaching career was against Carter in the region semi finals 2 years ago). I'll be around, just on the opposite side of the field (in a corner far away from the stands... sorry, can't watch a game in the midst of all the craziness of the fans. Gorman understands and will most likely be joining me, since he doesn't have a coaching position this spring either!)

And contrary to popular belief, I am not moving to Brazil, just leading youth tours there. I hope to be able to stay in Knoxville and teach, as well as coach on a part time basis. I REALLY enjoyed training the Oak Ridge girls team in pre season, and hope to do more of that kind of thing in the future. And who knows, Gorman and I might team up officially some day!

• 1 month later...