Jefferson County

helment

Ok, so 2010 is over. A quality senior class is done and the upcoming juniors, sophomores, etc look talented. What does the future hold? Why did the senior class seem let down by coaching, schemes, etc. What changes need to be made? Weight room, offense, conditioning? The defense kept it close last night, but turnovers and an anemic offense doomed the team. Why is there a lack of offensive identity? That was a very winnable game with some offense, unfortunately, there was no offense whatsoever. What needs to happen now?

Ok, so 2010 is over. A quality senior class is done and the upcoming juniors, sophomores, etc look talented. What does the future hold? Why did the senior class seem let down by coaching, schemes, etc. What changes need to be made? Weight room, offense, conditioning? The defense kept it close last night, but turnovers and an anemic offense doomed the team. Why is there a lack of offensive identity? That was a very winnable game with some offense, unfortunately, there was no offense whatsoever. What needs to happen now?

great questions? great post. what offense will we run next year. 3 years, 3 offenses. I think the issues start here??? Same as why run wildcat on 1st and second down and the change QB's on third and pass. Why run play action on 3rd and 14 when lb's are pass first and adjust to run. Our offense had success in first half. we should have scored 10-14 points in the first quarter. My question is why no adjustments after halftime when they moved def players up to stop option???? My opinion is Im ok with Anderson, but, we need an off expert to come in and fix our offense. Veer?? spread?? Pro style?? Tallent was not an issues agains West and WBlount this year. DB should have been a much closer contest as we matched up.

• 3 weeks later...

IMO I think JCHS might want to consider running the Pro- Style offense. We tried to run the spread but for a high school team to run the spread effectively, you need huge, strong offensive line who just sit back and pass block and fast receivers, in other words amazing athletes. The veer is a great offense but sort of outdated and teams today are finding ways to stop it. If you look at Carson-Newman they run the veer to perfection, because they recruit players to fit their offense. In high school, you get what you get. With the team we have returning next year, I think we have the right personnel to run the pro. We have a big offensive line, a pro style quarterback who can sling it and solid backs. I think a lot of zone blocking would be great for the O-Line, much better than the more complicated veer blocking. As we've seen in the past, our defense is solid and so has our offense been at times, just not as consistent.

Go with the Pistol! Not really, that would never work with our personnel. But I think that offense looks pretty cool when it's run effectively. I agree with you. The veer is a dead offense. It only lives at Carson-Newman, G Tech, and Air Force. But you can't go wrong with the pro-style. It's a balanced offense for a pocket passer that keeps the defense honest with a good mix of run, pass, and play-action. Not a complicated blocking scheme. It doesn't rely on one aspect of the game, veer leaning towards run and spread leaning towards pass. I think that we will have a very balanced group next year with a good-sized O-Line and some veterans at the quarterback and runningback positions. It will be exciting to see Jeff Co play up at the Castle against Tennessee High. Go Pats!

great post. dead on. I think we have the players to excel in the pro. I think this fits the qb best as well. I think it would allow us to be very balanced. but but I hear that they will focus more on the veer with some wing t mixed in for next year???

great post. dead on. I think we have the players to excel in the pro. I think this fits the qb best as well. I think it would allow us to be very balanced. but but I hear that they will focus more on the veer with some wing t mixed in for next year???

yea I've heard that also, and I'm not to happy about it. The only team I know that runs the wing t and is successful is DB. Im still sticking with my choice, go with the pro haha, but regardless go pats

yea I've heard that also, and I'm not to happy about it. The only team I know that runs the wing t and is successful is DB. Im still sticking with my choice, go with the pro haha, but regardless go pats

I was hoping I was hearing wrong. I would love to see the Pro style. and as to db running the wing t, look where this has gotten them in the past 10 years. rarely past the first round. Its got its issues as well. The pro sytle gives you many more options.

I was hoping I was hearing wrong. I would love to see the Pro style. and as to db running the wing t, look where this has gotten them in the past 10 years. rarely past the first round. Its got its issues as well. The pro sytle gives you many more options.

Your exactly right. Offenses like the veer or wing t can be very hard to stop if run the right way, but when u start playing in bad weather conditions like rain or snow, then the pro wins every time. Think about it, every offensive play in the veer, there's at least one and at the most two times a chance for a fumble might happen. First, when the QB is reading the defense and making the decision whether to pull it or give it, I can't tell you how many times I've seen running backs bobble the snap when the QB is getting it and then there hit instantly and then fumble. Second, if the QB decides to pull and he then pitches it, there's another chance to fumble. And I'm saying all this in DRY conditions, imagine when rain, snow, cold, etc. comes into play. Yes, the veer is an effective offense, but the pro is something you can rely on and toward the end of the game, when you just gotta run out the clock, just put your fullback to lead block and pound it up the middle. Also, when you keep running and keep running, a play-action is great to a tight end seam or a receiver slant, and usually it'll catch defenses off guard.