Pre-Season Scores

MVM

Already this is thread is better than the entire boys season thread catalog from last spring. Gah! What a boring season it was.

RUN UP THAT SCORE! SLIDE TACKLE! NO HEADING! REF'S ARE TERRIBLE! TSSAA, well nevermind....

There.......I am done till March.

Snoooooooze fest I do agree!

(And there is no way you are done till March.)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back everyone! Looks like we are off to a great start...and we haven't even heard from WaterDog yet! Always fun to spice up the message board. Now, onto soccer....

The Collierville pre-season tournament began tonight. Briarcrest played Jackson Academy out of MS to a 4 to 0 win. Like a typical pre-season, a third of the game was played JV who fought hard to keep JA out of the goal but was not as successful as the Varsity against them. All four goals for Briarcrest came from different girls...which is really great to see a lot of girls step up in light of the fact that we lost a lot of seniors. We are a young team this year starting six Sophomores and a Freshman keeper rounded out by two Juniors and two Seniors.

I watched the first 20 minutes of St Agnes versus Starkville Academy game...SAA scored in the first minute off a nice header and was up 3 to 0 after 20 minutes. SAA has a pretty young team this year, also. In an earlier game, I had heard that Collierville was up 2 to 0 over Hutchison who lost a lot of seniors this year also.

Welcome back everyone! Looks like we are off to a great start...and we haven't even heard from WaterDog yet! Always fun to spice up the message board. Now, onto soccer....

The Collierville pre-season tournament began tonight. Briarcrest played Jackson Academy out of MS to a 4 to 0 win. Like a typical pre-season, a third of the game was played JV who fought hard to keep JA out of the goal but was not as successful as the Varsity against them. All four goals for Briarcrest came from different girls...which is really great to see a lot of girls step up in light of the fact that we lost a lot of seniors. We are a young team this year starting six Sophomores and a Freshman keeper rounded out by two Juniors and two Seniors.

I watched the first 20 minutes of St Agnes versus Starkville Academy game...SAA scored in the first minute off a nice header and was up 3 to 0 after 20 minutes. SAA has a pretty young team this year, also. In an earlier game, I had heard that Collierville was up 2 to 0 over Hutchison who lost a lot of seniors this year also.

Final was 5-0.

With all do respect to Collierville, I am not sure how indicative the score is of either team. Yes, Hutchison is a young squad, but they were without 6 players, 5 of which were starters from a year ago, to injury/illness. With 2 of the 6 being the #1 and #2 keeper, they were forced to insert a freshman with little to no experience into the goal after only a couple of days practice. To her credit, she made a couple of nice saves.

Final was 5-0.

With all do respect to Collierville, I am not sure how indicative the score is of either team. Yes, Hutchison is a young squad, but they were without 6 players, 5 of which were starters from a year ago, to injury/illness. With 2 of the 6 being the #1 and #2 keeper, they were forced to insert a freshman with little to no experience into the goal after only a couple of days practice. To her credit, she made a couple of nice saves.

I agree...I had heard that also. I heard the Collierville didn't pull back too much, also.

These pre-season games really aren't a good indication of what will happen during the season and are designed to give most coaches a good look at their plaers. Briarcrest played Pillow Academy this morning to a 0 to 1 loss. While the varsity was in, Pillow couldn't get the ball over the mid-field line and BCHS was shooting at will....sorry to say nothing would go in the net. When BCHS put the JV in, Pillow had some opportunities and was able to put the ball in the net once. You would have thought that they had won the World Cup!

What is sad about these games is that all coaches don't use these games to work with and develop their teams. The Pillow Academy coach had about 10 players that never saw the field today and told his starters that "this was their chance to score" when Briarcest put the JV in. I guess he isn't much for developing a team. It was pretty obvious....Briarcrest would sub 11 girls at a time and the flow of the game would completely change!

....seems like a coin has many sides.

Don't think "your" team is the only team with injuries, if you are your kidding yourself and are already formulating a rationalization for the season ahead.

Never take the another's opinion on how a team played unless you were there. Wasn't anything even close to the word pressure. It's called possession.

Coaches have four games to develop their team, they can play their talents as they wish....Some of the private schools from Mississippi suit up players in 8th, 7th or even 6th grade. If they took the field you would find fault with that.

Coaches have four games to develop their team, they can play their talents as they wish....Some of the private schools from Mississippi suit up players in 8th, 7th or even 6th grade. If they took the field you would find fault with that.

That is my point exactly....they do only have four games to develop their team. If they do not take the pre-season opportunity to play all of their players....where will they be when they needs those players to step up? Yes, it is of course the coach's choice of how he uses the talents provided....but this is pre-season....not games for bragging rights...

If there was a team of middle school students on the field, I would hope that the better team would adjust accordingly. If the better team did not adjust....then that is where I would take fault....

Although I would much rather see a more competitive game for the entire game....I do applaud the coaches that take the risk of loss (as painful as it may be to watch) in order to see how their players are able to step to assist in various game situations to enable them to make future game decisions...

I'm not sure you getting this....

I went out to look at Pillow Academy, here is the roster and year of the players

Seniors – 3

Juniors- 2

Sophomores- 2

Freshman – 7

8th Grade – 10

7th Grade - 7

Keeper = Freshman or a 7th grader

So essentially, you had a freshman team playing Briarcrest's varsity. What were you expecting? Pillow knows who they are coming up here to play, they do so every year. If 10 players didn't take the field, that meant you were playing against a group of 8th graders on the field.

....seems like a coin has many sides.

Don't think "your" team is the only team with injuries, if you are your kidding yourself and are already formulating a rationalization for the season ahead.

Wow, I am glad that based on one statement, you already assume that you know I think. I am fully aware that all teams have injuries. I was simply stating the facts for that particular game. Most of those kids will be back before the season starts or early in the season. I was in no way taking anything away from C'Ville as they are a very solid team.

And for the record, I have no problems with the MS Private Schools playing 7th and 8th graders. We have played 8th graders on the Varsity before. These same teams have been coming to this preseason tourney for years now, playing young kids each year, and I have not heard to much about it. If that is what they have to do to field a team, then more power to them.

I'm not sure you getting this....

I went out to look at Pillow Academy, here is the roster and year of the players

Seniors – 3

Juniors- 2

Sophomores- 2

Freshman – 7

8th Grade – 10

7th Grade - 7

So essentially, you had a freshman team playing Briarcrest's varsity. What were you expecting? Pillow knows who they are coming up here to play, they do so every year. If 10 players didn't take the field, that meant you were playing against a group of 8th graders on the field.

I'm still not sure that you are getting this....

First of all,I count seven players on the Pillow team that are not Freshman...so hardly a Freshman team.....and Varsity versus JV is based on skill levels....not on the age of the player....the "age" and "size" issues goes out of consideration at the high school level. Isn't one of Collierville's shining stars this year a Freshman forward? I bet she is better (and will get more play time) than some of the older players on the team...just a guess....

Briarcrest Varsity has only 2 Seniors and 2 Juniors with the rest Sophomores and Freshmen (including a Freshman keeper)....similar to what you say Pillow had....

Regardless of the mix of the age groups of the team, I still maintain the importance of having even levels of play for pre-season games/scrimmages....that is the only point that I am trying to make....as I said earlier, it isn't about winning and losing at this time of year for most teams. I heard that there was a game today with a 8 to 1 result...for a pre-season scrimmage....what is that about?!?!?

I would hope that Collierville pulled up some once they had the game in hand against Hutch to provide more development opportunities.....

I agree...I had heard that also. I heard the Collierville didn't pull back too much, also.

These pre-season games really aren't a good indication of what will happen during the season and are designed to give most coaches a good look at their plaers. Briarcrest played Pillow Academy this morning to a 0 to 1 loss. While the varsity was in, Pillow couldn't get the ball over the mid-field line and BCHS was shooting at will....sorry to say nothing would go in the net. When BCHS put the JV in, Pillow had some opportunities and was able to put the ball in the net once. You would have thought that they had won the World Cup!

What is sad about these games is that all coaches don't use these games to work with and develop their teams. The Pillow Academy coach had about 10 players that never saw the field today and told his starters that "this was their chance to score" when Briarcest put the JV in. I guess he isn't much for developing a team. It was pretty obvious....Briarcrest would sub 11 girls at a time and the flow of the game would completely change!

Many times, coaches agree to a format of play during pregame to allow everyone to be on the same page. Sometimes it changes during the course when a coach discovers something to look at that hadn't thought of before. The beauty of the scrimmages is they do not count towards anything other than what you can take away to develop your team. If you really want to win, you should be able to, but does that really help you when the true season begins? This time of year is fun to talk about, but don't put too much into it. we will all soon know more about our teams. Biggest thing is to come out healthy!!! I know I'm horrible at getting caught up in games/scrimmages and purposely map a plan that I stick to.....I've called myself an idiot more than once. =)Good luck to all, can't wait to play for real.