Dandy Dozen (Memphis & Surrounding Area)

kwc

Well besides one big play from Kimbrow, East didn't look too hot. For all who the hoops scene, Nick King was the backup QB last year and pretty good, apparently either he's injured or not playing football. Brandon Barron, a senior WR is the QB now. I saw Barron at the FBU camp in Nashville and he looked like one of the best and smoothest WRs there. They also lost Detavious Johnson to Mitchell AND most of their players are still playing both ways.

Wooddale looked the best to me simply, because they looked good on both sides of the ball. With the exception of the long ball to Mosez Frazier Whitehaven's offense looked stagnant, and their defense was okay. Wooddale is my dark horse to make it out of Memphis.

P.S. I just think Southaven, or Millington, or Fairley etc. might have deserved a preseason spot over a Germantown or a CBHS with their best player at some key offensive spots hurt.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back guys. For me, it is good to be back. I love high school football! I have no problems with the pre-season poll. I can see the logic in it. But I do agree with KWC, in that I would have ranked MUS as number 1 (one), but for three reasons: 1) they won a championship last year; 2) they return a quarterback that had some good playing time last year; and a very good offensive line (the key to their success); and 3) they are a very well-off private school with a system and parents that can put the players in the best position to maximize their potential, even when most are not as talented as many kids in public schools. Can they be beaten? Yes, they can. I do not see them beating S. Panola this year. Right now, I would pick Whitehaven to beat them in a mid-season or later game. But, until they lose, or just have a horrible outing, they should have been ranked number 1 (one).

Right now, I like Whitehaven this year. But the key for a very successful season will be a prolific or at least very good offense. The defense should be stout, the kicking game should be at least good enough at this level (have the potential to make most 30 yard and in field goals), the coaching has proven to be solid, the community support is very good, and athletes are abundant.

I agree with most of the things that Trader B said about Melrose. I went by an observed one of their practices and was not impressed with what I saw. They seem to be very weak in all areas except quarterback and in the defensive backfield. Maybe they have a lot of two-way players and I just did not see how they will actually line up in a game. But even if that was the case, having too many two-players is never a good thing in a long season. But on the bright side, I did still sense that Melrose swagger and pride, that alone seems to be good for at least 3 wins a season. We will see how this all develops soon. I look forward to it.

Edited by fourthree

Wooddale looked the best to me simply, because they looked good on both sides of the ball. With the exception of the long ball to Mosez Frazier Whitehaven's offense looked stagnant, and their defense was okay. Wooddale is my dark horse to make it out of Memphis.

His name is Spelled Mose. sounds like Moz... Anyway. Whitehaven has plenty in the bag offensively this season. I hope u will be at some of the games to witness it.

:popcorneater:

RESPECT DA HAVEN

1. Whitehaven ...................... Class 6A, District 16

2. MUS .................................. Class D2-AA, West

3. Olive Branch (MS) ............. Class 6A, MHSAA

4. West Memphis (AR) .......... Class 6A, AHSAA

5. CBHS ................................ Class D2-AA, West

6. Mitchell ............................. Class 5A, District 16

7. Wooddale ........................ Class 6A, District 15

8. Briarcrest ......................... Class D2-AA, West

9. Melrose ............................ Class 5A, District 16

10. White Station ................. Class 6A, District 16

11. ECS ................................ Class D2-A, West

12. Germantown .................. Class 6A, District 15

1st, I think before MUS gets knocked off it's top spot, someone needs to do it on the field. They've got too much going in recent seasons to bump them down.

2nd, Whitehaven is usually well equipped with talent. They are normally one of the areas best teams in the regular season. They have yet to live up to their potential in the post season (in my humble opinion).

after watching the Briacrest-WS game last night, it's possible they both are over rated. Briarcrest ran the ball well, after using big bodies to wear down a smallish WS D-line. The Briarcrest passing game was...well, pretty much wasn't. I'm not sure what happened there. I had higher expectations of a balanced offense, but the Saints did alot of running, and the passing game just wasn't doing much.

WS ran the ball very well. Plenty of speed! they also have receivers capable of getting open...like WIIIIDE open and catching the ball...except the ball rarely got there. When it did, the receivers had to get out of shape turning around to make a catch, which allowed defenders to get back and make a tackle. Very ineffective passing game. (Keep in mind this is a sophmore, and his 1st time at QB) But improvement at QB is a must to get anywhere this year. The defense played pretty well until they got worn down from bigger bodies going straight at 'em.

WS is still not taking care of the small details. Last year they made many mistakes...penalties at inopportune times, turn-overs that stop scores, or create scores for the other team, etc...But last year they had the athletes and experience to overcome most of these 'oversights'. Last night it was the details that hurt them and ultimately cost the game. Turnovers in scoring position, poor decison by a rb reversing his field on a 3rd and inches....resulting in a block in the back penalty, which forced a passing play, which turned into a fumble, and Briarcrest gaining all kinds of momentum. Not fielding a punt...costs 10 yds or so of field position. Those add up....yet don't seem to get much attention.

Hopefully, WS will learn quickly to get in form, because there's some serious competion on the way early this year...like next game vs Ridgeway!