Overton at Father Ryan

workinprogress

Overton started their season with a big neighborhood win against Father Ryan. For Overton the defense bent several times but never broke. Overton made several big plays including a couple of huge sacks late in the game in critical situations. The offense struggled early but came around in the second half. Overton scored on an option play to #5 down the sideline for about fifty yards. #5 just blew past the Ryan defenders making them look like they were standing still. Overton also connected on a huge pass play late in the game to get out of deep in their own territory to about the forty of Father Ryan. For Father Ryan their defense was strong most of the game only giving up a couple of big plays in the second half. Ryan got on the board early due to awful punts from Overton. This led to great field position but Ryan couldnt capitalize only getting a field goal. In the second half Ryan's full back looked really good as it took several Overton defenders to get him down. Late in the game Ryan tried passing more as the clock was running down. They hit a nice fifteen maybe twenty yard pass but couldnt do much after that. The QB was sacked twice. One was the starter and one was a backup due to injury. Ryan fans how is the QB that went down near the sidelines? Ryan's punter and kicker are really good. Each kickoff went into the endzone the last going deep into the endzone. Ryan's punter had to have averaged at least forty yards if not more. He did an excellent job. Overall good hard fought first contest for both teams. I really like that this neighborhood rivalry has started back up. I hope these two teams can keep it going next year.

Going back some years, there were games every year between MBA, Ryan, and Overton, and they determined the one playoff team from District 11AAA. They were always great rivalry games: good, clean football that attracted big crowds. As much as I admired Nick Coutras then, I admire him more now (since the split), given that he had to beat two of the top teams in the state every year just to QUALIFY for the play-offs. Not only did the man never complain; he actually seemed to relish the competition. Truly a class act, and one is sorely missed.