Let's go back to region play in 2011-2012

ELA

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to go back to the old playoff format in 2011?

• yes
    • no

I hope enough coaches and administrators put pressure on the TSSAA to go back to the old playoff format and take the top four teams in each region. Keep the six classes we have now in D1 because of the number of schools but abandon these combined districts at the end of this season before we start scheduling for the next two years!

Travel would be brutal going up to six regular season classes, look at what Class 1A would be like. Here are the current 1A playoff teams:

Class 1A Football

District 1: Cloudland (Roan Mountain)

District 2: Hancock County (Sneedville)

District 3: Knoxville Grace (Knoxville) Greenback Harriman Midway (Kingston)

District 4: Coalfield Oakdale Sunbright

District 5: Copper Basin (Copperhill)

District 6: Lookout Valley (Chattanooga) Whitwell South Pittsburg

District 7: Clay County (Celina) Monterey Pickett County (Byrdstown)

District 8: Gordonsville Red Boiling Springs

District 9: Eagleville Huntland Middle TN Chr. (Murfreesboro) Moore County (Lynchburg)

District 10: Nashville Christian (Nashville) Clarksville Academy (Clarksville) Jo Byrns (Cedar Hill) McEwen

District 11: Columbia Academy (Columbia) Cornersville

District 12: Collinwood Perry County (Linden) Wayne County (Waynesboro)

District 13: Gleason Hollow Rock-Bruceton (Bruceton) Huntingdon West Carroll (Atwood)

District 14: Greenfield Halls Lake County (Tiptonville)South Fulton Union City

District 16: MAHS (Memphis)

I'd guess the plan would be go to 8 regions, but you can't just combine current districts 1 and 2, for example, that would be a two-team region. I can't see a six-class group for those reasons.

I still say go to four classes in nearly every sport-exceptions being bowling, golf, etc, and reclassifying each sport. One of the problems in my view was trying to form the same districts in multiple sports. With several schools not having foootball programs, that left some districts smaller than others as compared to the basketball districts.

Travel would be brutal going up to six regular season classes, look at what Class 1A would be like. Here are the current 1A playoff teams:

Class 1A Football

District 1: Cloudland (Roan Mountain)

District 2: Hancock County (Sneedville)

District 3: Knoxville Grace (Knoxville) Greenback Harriman Midway (Kingston)

District 4: Coalfield Oakdale Sunbright

District 5: Copper Basin (Copperhill)

District 6: Lookout Valley (Chattanooga) Whitwell South Pittsburg

District 7: Clay County (Celina) Monterey Pickett County (Byrdstown)

District 8: Gordonsville Red Boiling Springs

District 9: Eagleville Huntland Middle TN Chr. (Murfreesboro) Moore County (Lynchburg)

District 10: Nashville Christian (Nashville) Clarksville Academy (Clarksville) Jo Byrns (Cedar Hill) McEwen

District 11: Columbia Academy (Columbia) Cornersville

District 12: Collinwood Perry County (Linden) Wayne County (Waynesboro)

District 13: Gleason Hollow Rock-Bruceton (Bruceton) Huntingdon West Carroll (Atwood)

District 14: Greenfield Halls Lake County (Tiptonville)South Fulton Union City

District 16: MAHS (Memphis)

I'd guess the plan would be go to 8 regions, but you can't just combine current districts 1 and 2, for example, that would be a two-team region. I can't see a six-class group for those reasons.

I still say go to four classes in nearly every sport-exceptions being bowling, golf, etc, and reclassifying each sport. One of the problems in my view was trying to form the same districts in multiple sports. With several schools not having foootball programs, that left some districts smaller than others as compared to the basketball districts.

SIX CLASSES with 8 regions should work.

Go back to 3 classifications...Take the champion of the districts and go have a play-off...The teams that weren't good enough to win the championship go play in bowl games...

It's not about getting the best teams in the play-offs though, is it ??....

What we have now is a watered down joke...

If you look at how all state athletic associations are funded you will find playoff games are important. Alabama has fewer schools and they have six classifications. In TN we add more new schools every year. It continues to be a numbers game.