THE Top 10 Team in Middle Tennessee

gomab2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY like the Father Ryan team. It's hard for me to not put them at #1 at least to start the season. Billy meant a lot, as did the other seniors, but the current senior class is very special. Joe Thompson, a 6'1 PG is one of the more underrated players out there, and may be the best shooter in the state. 6'4 Wing Brent Carney is outstanding as well. 6'7 Brian Giffith adds height. 6'1 Everett Bills adds athleticism. This team is deep. This team plays THE best defense in the state. The team can shoot the lights out. These guys have played together for years, and teamed up for a very, very successful AAU team (one of only four TN teams in AAU Nationals this past season in 17:U). Last year, Father Ryan beat a great Whites Creek team by 20. They beat a very good Oakland team by 30. This is my #1 pre-season team.....

Maplewood and Giles are almost interchangeable. The starting 5 at Giles is as talented as any starting 5 east of Jackson, but I love the intangibles at Maplewood (2 straight State appearances, great Coach, leadership of Taylor, etc).....

Whites Creek could be a surprise. Coach Nollner always has this bunch tough. Andrew Cannon, Leroy Bluing, Lorenzo Hobson, Derrick Menzie, and Darrell Menzie lead a tough group who must cope with the loss of Collins and Rasheed....

Riverdale could surprise in a wide-open District 7AAA. G LaBrian Lyons is the real deal, and recently showed out at a Gibbons' event last month at Wake Forest University. 6'6 Josh England will surprise, and this team is much more athletic than the last few years, and the Warriors have made a pact to become a transition team, which would make them VERY dangerous.....

I have to agree with Father Ryan, I saw them this summer and they were one of the top 5 best teams in the whole Belmont Camp..They play so hard and inspired that if you like sports you gotta love them..Coach Bontrager coaches with intensity and it rubbs off to the players.

Giles Co has so much talent its hard not to put them in that list..

Maplewood is a vetern to this, they've been to state two straight years and has had some success in district 12-AAA.. Thier coach is one of the states best and the athletes are some of the states best..so thats a no brainer.

I think the other teams could go anywhere, those three have claim their spots for the preseason.

Whites Creek can never be counted out, Coach Nollner always have them prepared. Of course the athletes there are unbelivable..I remember some good games vs Whites Creek when I was playing at Clarksville High.

I was a freshman that particular year when Shawn Marion hit the game winner vs the creek, but the following year when Trenton Hassell was still there which was his senior year and my sophmore year, I was on Varsity then..That game may have been even better just because of how touted James Stewart and Trenton Hassell were..We've always had some battles with Whites Creek, those games would have to be the ones that stick out the most.obviously going to state tournament is right up there..I can remember my Senior year battling Odell Bradley..Junior year Desmond Cambridge, I think every year we've had to battle some star to beat them but the overall team quickness and with Coach Nollner over there on the sidelines that didnt help because he knew what do to do slow us down..Great battles though!!

Thanks for the kind remarks about our team. I feel pretty good about this year. I think by the end of the year that we may be pretty tough - at least I hope so. This is definitely my last year for coaching at Maplewood, but I really love this bunch. Every year there is gonna be someone you hate to leave, but you know I have given 22 years of my life to the kids at Maplewood - and loved every minute, but after 33 years of coaching basketball, I believe it is time. The school day is getting very tough, not the coaching , which is a joy. I love my fans, my parents of the kids, and my players. I always support the 'Wood. As for Mr. Taylor, Bubba's dad, I could not want a better parent of a young man on my team. The support he has given me is outstanding and I really apprecitate it. Gomab, I thank you for recognizing our team. Thanks again.

painful memories.........those whites creek almost wins........the state game in which they upset columbia boy that was a good win though. columbia was either undefeated or only lost 1 game all yr.

we turned around a got thrashed the next night to white station. Dee burkes just ran circles around the defense.