!!!!!!! NO RESPECT FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS !!!!!!!

wildcats7

i dont think the college recruiting net misses many real prospects. consider that they even find guys out west playing 8-man ball (places that make the remotest part of tennessee seem uptown). instead, a lot of these players are not the prospects that we think they are. even though a player might be listed as 6' 0" and 220 on the program, if he is really 5' 9" and 175 the colleges will know it. and being the "fastest" player at podunk high doesnt necessarily translate into being fast by D-1 standards. even tho your coach might time you at 4.4 (and your dad gets you at 3.9) those times have little credibility.

for good ballplayers, who want to continue beyond high school, here is my advice: MAKE YOUR GRADES. there are more people playing at schools that are not on TV than there are at the big-time programs. and those schools actually want students who will graduate. blister the ACT/SAT & send that info, along with your sports credentials, to the colleges who field teams of real students. there are lots of opportunities to play college ball (AND get a degree worth something).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IE3,

May, every dog gone program I know of has at least two VCRs. If someone wants to play college, make about 20 highlight films and send them to schools. I know 20 tapes cost money, but it is better than a 800 buck web page no one will look at. I am not saying kids don't deserve their due, nor am I saying it isn't rediculous that newspapers can't get names right. They do deserve the coverage, and the papers should get names right. But, it isn't nearly as important as you imply. Send out tapes. you'll get rewarded eventually.

All,

we have gotten alittle far afield from the original post, the lack of respect for public schools. One thing I would like to point out, if there are no private schools in an area, then the smaller schools tend to get singled out for the lack of respect. In counties with both city and county schools, it is typically the county schools with the respect problem. While there seems to be a problem with the coverage public vs. private in the Metro areas, there is also a problem with the coverage small vs. large in other areas. There exists no level playing field when competing for recognition. Just a thought.....

Panfan, you are right the films are much more effective than the silly websites. Although, there is a certain lineman from Maryville headed for Princeton that this agency took credit for, not that I would or could waste that much on their services. Maybe I do overestimate the power of the press, but I have the feeling that just having the school name out there has got to help. Afterall, not all college caliber atheletes are on championship teams.

Posted by wildcats7:

I get on here alot and read alot of different threads on this site, and I am always seeing these poeple from private schools crying about how they don't get any respect. Personally I play for a public school and I am in no way trying to say my school derserves more respect. I'm just trying to say that it is stupid for a private school to say they don't get enough credit. For those of you who say that you should try playing at a public school.

I just want to know what everyone else thinks.......

Here`s what I think....I can`t believe this thread is as long as it has gotten. If you have a problem with the coverage of your local paper, then you need to give the sports editor a call and discuss it there. Geez...now people are getting paranoid about the coverage of private schools in the paper! :rolleyes:

VG

That`s what I think

I am a private school fan...Yet I have great respect for public schools who have earned it. I think teams that quickly come to mind are Milan, Crockett County, Trousdale, Bruceton, Collinwood to name just a few. Teams from smaller commuinites who produce winners year after year. COntary to many peoples comments, small communities can produce winners, and I applaud the teams who work hard and commit themselves to success...I could care less if the state or parents pay the bills. Excellence is available to both and I respect it when I see it.

Posted by panfan:

You guys are all a bunch of babies!!!1 Who cares if someone gives you any respect?? Just win and you'll get it eventually. If you win and don't get respect, who cares, you still won. Good grief, talk about a bunch of misguided people!!! Who cares if some stupid Tenneessean reporter fella writes on you or not. If you were 4-1, they'd be writing about you. And if you're 4-1 and they aren't writing about you, who cares, you're 4-1. Get your priorites in order people. The most important thing is that you are doing your best at your job. Other people's opinions matter jack. :D

As does yours. :D