HARDIN VALLEY @ CLINTON

92Dragon

Oskie,seems to me (I could be wrong, of course. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken) that perhaps Lake City has come full circle since it was a high school back in the day. I remember them having good girls basketball coaches. Always competitive! Can't remember their names, though. (I apologize for that). Nobody's bashing any coaches, regardless of what they have coached or their origin. My comment to Opie was meant to pose the question, "If I'm a football kid looking to play football at the high school level, where would I want to play?" With Gillum and the Prices at AC, if I WANT to be competitive, WHERE WOULD I WANT TO GO PLAY FOOTBALL? My answer, of course, would be AC.

....NOT Clinton. Or Fulton, right now. Kids want to win. They don't care WHERE their coaches originate. Sorry if I offended you. Nothing personal.

no offense taken. My reply wasn't directed at you. It was just a comment. Jack Diggs, Larry Kerr and Elwood Pennington all great coaches have Lake City on their resumes.

That raises an interesting point. If the kids that transfer are as good as they think or say they are, why wouldnt they stay where they are and make that highschool team better?

Like the Price brothers? If they had stayed at Campbell Co., wouldnt that have made CC a better team? If i am a good football player, im going to do everything i can to make my team better, not just go where a team is already good.

Just something to think about!

You bring up a VERY interesting point 92D. I know from personal experience that one can only beat their head against a political wall just so long before they realize they are wasting their time there. These kids have four years to make a difference in the game they love. I'm not speaking of just average players with average talent. I'm talking about kids with real talent that REALLY want to win football games. I'm talking about kids that have enough scholastic and athletic achievements to maybe win scholarships to further their education. Winners want to be with winners. Winners don't want to be with losers. THAT IS LIFE. I'm not speaking of players who just want to jump on the bandwagon of another winning school program. I'm talking about players that have TRIED to make a difference at one school and realized they themselves were unable to make a difference there. Their decision was the difference between bettering themselves or sinking with the ship.

You bring up a VERY interesting point 92D. I know from personal experience that one can only beat their head against a political wall just so long before they realize they are wasting their time there. These kids have four years to make a difference in the game they love. I'm not speaking of just average players with average talent. I'm talking about kids with real talent that REALLY want to win football games. I'm talking about kids that have enough scholastic and athletic achievements to maybe win scholarships to further their education. Winners want to be with winners. Winners don't want to be with losers. THAT IS LIFE. I'm not speaking of players who just want to jump on the bandwagon of another winning school program. I'm talking about players that have TRIED to make a difference at one school and realized they themselves were unable to make a difference there. Their decision was the difference between bettering themselves or sinking with the ship.

Im just old school and think if you are a great player, you are going to be recognized. I have seen plenty of kids on a losing team that i would offer a scholarship to just for thier ability, not how their team finished.

But i do see what you are saying Opp, your saying that a player has a better chance to further their career if they are with a better program that possibly gets better exposure and i agree with that, i see your point as well.

• Upvote 1

Im just old school and think if you are a great player, you are going to be recognized. I have seen plenty of kids on a losing team that i would offer a scholarship to just for thier ability, not how their team finished.

But i do see what you are saying Opp, your saying that a player has a better chance to further their career if they are with a better program that possibly gets better exposure and i agree with that, i see your point as well.

92 you would have to be really old school. This is why schools are able to "recruit". It's why Clinton got the Chapman kid last year and AC gets a bunch of Campbell Co. kids over the years. It is also why it is next to impossible to turn a losing program around. ie. Karns and Campbell County. No offense to these teams! No one wants to lose and be a part of a losing program. They would rather go somewhere else and be a part of a winning team or not play at all. Maybe the athlete says that the basketball team is winning some games and the practices aren't near as hard so I think I will just not play for the hard practicing, losing football team. Happens every day!! Alot of kids are missing out on a great life learning and fun experience because they are so arrogant that they are afraid they are going to lose. If enough of those kids would give it a try, they could turn a program around. Sorry for the rant! When I played many years ago we played for the love of playing. We worked our butts off to win and gave it our best every day. Today's kids are too selfish! So are most of their parents. It's all about what I can get out of it and not what I can give back and maybe make a difference in a program and the school and even others around me. Sorry again!

92 you would have to be really old school. This is why schools are able to "recruit". It's why Clinton got the Chapman kid last year and AC gets a bunch of Campbell Co. kids over the years. It is also why it is next to impossible to turn a losing program around. ie. Karns and Campbell County. No offense to these teams! No one wants to lose and be a part of a losing program. They would rather go somewhere else and be a part of a winning team or not play at all. Maybe the athlete says that the basketball team is winning some games and the practices aren't near as hard so I think I will just not play for the hard practicing, losing football team. Happens every day!! Alot of kids are missing out on a great life learning and fun experience because they are so arrogant that they are afraid they are going to lose. If enough of those kids would give it a try, they could turn a program around. Sorry for the rant! When I played many years ago we played for the love of playing. We worked our butts off to win and gave it our best every day. Today's kids are too selfish! So are most of their parents. It's all about what I can get out of it and not what I can give back and maybe make a difference in a program and the school and even others around me. Sorry again!

i am old school. i dont like the idea of having a "mercy rule" either! lol!