GOODPASTURE FOOTBALL 2010

NEEDFORSPEED

Before everybody plans an Alcoa vs GP final, one point to consider with the playoffs is the fact that Goodpasture may end up in the eastern bracket depending upon the makeup of playoff teams. I think the TSSAA look at all the playoff teams and divide it based on geography. This means any teams from District 8 or 9 may find themselves in another bracket. We never know until week 10.

You are correct! Take them one game at a time, and see what happens at the end. It was nice to see Goodpasture get some pub this weekend. They had a nice spot on Fox 17 news, and they had a nice picture on the cover of the sports page(the tennessean) this Saturday. Just dont let the press go to your head boys. Keep working hard.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the Tennessean article Saturday. Goodpasture rarely gets mentioned besides a score update. I hope the boys enjoyed their victory weekend, but Monday it starts all over. I'm sure Coach will keep the boys grounded. Love them Cougars!

I saw that to and that was pretty cool. I hope the boys have been working on there pass defense. Maybe some man to man, or zone over the top with man coverage under. Something different to be more aggresive in the secondary instead of letting receivers and tight ends run off the line without re-directing them and letting them run free through the zone defense. It would also be nice to see Goodpasture continue to work on there passing game. Goodpasture is fortunate to have two good receivers and one good tight end. Each one of them have college level ability, not to mention there quarterback. I think the key to there season will be how there passing game grows offensively, and if there pass defense improves throughout the year!

:thumb:

Permit me to clarify a little. I have been affiliated with Goodpasture for more than 40 years. Best school I ever attended! I have traveled as far East as Gatlinburg (GP) and frozen my tail off in Lake County (West) to cheer on my Cougars! Literally, my kinfolk have shed blood and sweat (no tears- we just get angry)on the beloved home field.

Believe me, I want the Cougars to get a Gold Ball! The obstacle to that goal is usually Alcoa. It definitely is this year. To do that we must take the program to the next level (literally). We should move up a level. If we had been in 3A a few years back, we would have two Gold Balls! If we can't do that! We should schedule Alcoa during the season, so we can get some early experience (CAK has gotten better playing Alcoa twice a year).

Alcoa is looking for four games next year. Let's play them at Alcoa. Get the school to make it a long weekend. Play Friday (or Thursday Night Rivalry Series) go to Gatlinburg for the weekend. Take in a UT game Saturday. Overflow the Gatlinburg church Sunday morning - I know they miss the old crowd for the GP game. Bring back the old days! That was always a great weekend!!

It will make us a better team and take away some of the Alcoa mystic!

C'mon, Let's make this Happen!!

When was Goodpasture established? I thought that they were a fairly new school when I palyed against them in 78, I could be wrong however-just didn't know that they had been around 40+ years. Anyway I can still remember how well we were treated by the fans :thumb:

Well, I suppose the TSSAA should just go ahead and give Goodpasture the District 9 trophy according to ya'll. What's the use of playing any of the regular season games, let's just go ahead and have the Cougars and Alcoa play now for the crown. LOL!!

Wow, you can cut that guilt with a knife! Don't worry about it, but you obviously are by making a post like that! Goodpasture has to hear it every year from Alcoa fans, that is just the way it is, get used to it. The teams that win state and go deep into the playoffs are always going to have the bragging rights until someone knocks them off! And you know what, I don't have a problem with that. Alcoa has earned the right to be on top. And if you want to shut them up, beat them. If not, just keep working hard and try to get better. If the Blue Devils want to be District 9 Champs, and they don't want to hear it from the press, or fans, or players, beat Goodpasture. It is that simple. So if you don't like what anyone is saying, then dont listen or dont post. Goodpasture has a very good team this year, and I won't apologize for that. Just like Alcoa won't apologize for there great state title streak. But it is nice to know that you will go on a Goodpasture thread and give your two cents worth.

I went to the Goodpasture/Westmoreland game last night, and wow, great job. It was nice to see the defense tighten up. Still need to fine tune a few things in pass coverage and run containment, but all in all, a very good defensive effort. But the main thing I want to talk about is the Goodpasture passing game! You heard me right, that was not a mistake, the Goodpasture passing game! There passing game is special. The quarterback (#3) is playing lights out. He is making good decisions, and spreading the ball around. There two receivers (#14 and #9) are two of the best receivers I have seen in a long time. #14 seems to be a possesion type of receiver, and #9 seems to be more of a game breaker with speed. There tight end #15 is big and can run. And it seems like they run just enough to keep the defense honest. Last night, #3 threw 3 touchdown passes and ran one in. He threw a nice seem route down the middle to one of the runningbacks #22. Then his second touchdown pass was a beautiful fade to #9 who just out jumped the defender for it. And the third was a nice crossing route to #23. All in all, a very impressive passing attack by the Cougars. Get ready for DL this week boys, you will be under the lights, and everybody will be watching!

I hope Goodpasture keeps working hard to get better and does not let the press get to them. Just keep working on tightening up the passing defense, and lets work on contain. Offensively, lets keep working on protecting Keenan and throwing the ball to our 2 wide receivers and our tight end! The Cougar defense better be ready because the Mustang's will be attacking!

I went to the Goodpasture/Westmoreland game last night, and wow, great job. It was nice to see the defense tighten up. Still need to fine tune a few things in pass coverage and run containment, but all in all, a very good defensive effort. But the main thing I want to talk about is the Goodpasture passing game! You heard me right, that was not a mistake, the Goodpasture passing game! There passing game is special. The quarterback (#3) is playing lights out. He is making good decisions, and spreading the ball around. There two receivers (#14 and #9) are two of the best receivers I have seen in a long time. #14 seems to be a possesion type of receiver, and #9 seems to be more of a game breaker with speed. There tight end #15 is big and can run. And it seems like they run just enough to keep the defense honest. Last night, #3 threw 3 touchdown passes and ran one in. He threw a nice seem route down the middle to one of the runningbacks #22. Then his second touchdown pass was a beautiful fade to #9 who just out jumped the defender for it. And the third was a nice crossing route to #23. All in all, a very impressive passing attack by the Cougars. Get ready for DL this week boys, you will be under the lights, and everybody will be watching!

If GP has a strong passing game and they and Alcoa do get the chance to meet again, it could be another one of those High scoring games much like the Alcoa-Huntingdon game was in 2004. Alcoa's passing D is very sub par. A lot of fans have the rose colored lenses and say "Oh well nobody passes against us" at the same time though we don't play many passing teams. Scott Co QB had nearly 200yds passing on Alcoa. You could argue that if the kid had some stronger athletes on his team, much like Goodpasture does, they could have done some damage. At the same time I don't think Goodpasture could run the ball very effective on Alcoa and I also don't think they could stop Alcoa's rushing attack. Would personally still give the game to Alcoa myself but not by a margin like previous years. I could see a 10 point spread. Only time will tell though