GOODPASTURE FOOTBALL 2010

NEEDFORSPEED

Permit me to clarify a little. I have been affiliated with Goodpasture for more than 40 years. Best school I ever attended! I have traveled as far East as Gatlinburg (GP) and frozen my tail off in Lake County (West) to cheer on my Cougars! Literally, my kinfolk have shed blood and sweat (no tears- we just get angry)on the beloved home field.

Believe me, I want the Cougars to get a Gold Ball! The obstacle to that goal is usually Alcoa. It definitely is this year. To do that we must take the program to the next level (literally). We should move up a level. If we had been in 3A a few years back, we would have two Gold Balls! If we can't do that! We should schedule Alcoa during the season, so we can get some early experience (CAK has gotten better playing Alcoa twice a year).

Alcoa is looking for four games next year. Let's play them at Alcoa. Get the school to make it a long weekend. Play Friday (or Thursday Night Rivalry Series) go to Gatlinburg for the weekend. Take in a UT game Saturday. Overflow the Gatlinburg church Sunday morning - I know they miss the old crowd for the GP game. Bring back the old days! That was always a great weekend!!

It will make us a better team and take away some of the Alcoa mystic!

C'mon, Let's make this Happen!!

I understand what you are saying. I agree to be the best you have to beat the best. But I also agree that each year is different. I would love to see Goodpasture play Alcoa in the regular season. I just dont know if that can work out logistically or not. Bottom line, this Goodpasture team is very talented and has a legit chance this year. What they make of it is up to them. Go Cougars!

Edited by NEEDFORSPEED

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you are saying. I agree to be the best you have to beat the best. But I also agree that each year is different. I would love to see Goodpasture play Alcoa in the regular season. I just dont know if that can work out logistically or not. Bottom line, this Goodpasture team is very talented and has a legit chance this year. What they make of it is up to them. Go Cougars!

Pretty sure that GP is a lock for the playoffs since I am not sure that anyone in their district can play with them. The big question I would have is does their weak district hurt them in the playoffs?

Great game. Great effort by Goodpasture and CPA tonight! The passing game of Goodpasture looks great. I think we can offically say that we have the best passing attack we have had in years! We just need to play better pass defense. Maybe man to man, maybe give somebody else a try to cover back there. Either way, I know Coach Martin and his staff will get it figured out by the end of the year. We will have to if we want to make a run at it! Overall, not many big plays in the running game, but there were two big plays in the passing game. One 30 yard fade to #9 who made a beautiful catch in the corner of the end zone with double coverage, and #15 caught a great crossing route for about 50 yards for the go ahead touchdown. Keep working hard boys, and lets tighten up that defense! Oh and by the way, great job #3!

Permit me to clarify a little. I have been affiliated with Goodpasture for more than 40 years. Best school I ever attended! I have traveled as far East as Gatlinburg (GP) and frozen my tail off in Lake County (West) to cheer on my Cougars! Literally, my kinfolk have shed blood and sweat (no tears- we just get angry)on the beloved home field.

Believe me, I want the Cougars to get a Gold Ball! The obstacle to that goal is usually Alcoa. It definitely is this year. To do that we must take the program to the next level (literally). We should move up a level. If we had been in 3A a few years back, we would have two Gold Balls! If we can't do that! We should schedule Alcoa during the season, so we can get some early experience (CAK has gotten better playing Alcoa twice a year).

Alcoa is looking for four games next year. Let's play them at Alcoa. Get the school to make it a long weekend. Play Friday (or Thursday Night Rivalry Series) go to Gatlinburg for the weekend. Take in a UT game Saturday. Overflow the Gatlinburg church Sunday morning - I know they miss the old crowd for the GP game. Bring back the old days! That was always a great weekend!!

It will make us a better team and take away some of the Alcoa mystic!

C'mon, Let's make this Happen!!

I agree, if Alcoa is our biggest threat for a Gold Ball, then maybe we shoud work out a pre-season scrimmage. On the other hand, Coach Martin has already scheduled the boys to play at Papa John Stadium in Louisville, KY against Kentucky's best next year. That is going to be a fantastic road trip. What an experience they will have. I'm just sad my Senior will miss it. We should only take one step at a time. Hopefully we can play Alcoa in December!

For some reason, the officiating during CPA games are always messed up. There has always been questionable calls both ways. I have seen it for 4 years now.

Congrats to the Cougars with the CPA win! It was a total team effort. I'm Proud of you.

District game next week vs. Westmoreland, go get 'em!

I like the progress we are making on offense. I would like to see us tighten up our pass defense for the second half of the season. To the Goodpasture players who read this, don't believe the press clippings. Keep working hard, and play one game at a time. Lets make it our goal to play 4 full quarters of Cougar football against Westmoreland!

Its no secret here how much I despise Goodpasture and everything involved with it but Im not going to go into that and be completely honest. You bring up playing Alcoa in scrimmages and regular season but honestly I think that would be a terrible idea. Just going by the last few State games how do you think the GP kids would have felt going into that game if Alcoa had beaten them by 30 (just using the state scores) a few weeks before? It would be a very hard game to get up for. Instead of trying to go straight to the big dog, maybe GP should take a smaller step. Arguably the top 4 teams in 3a last year were Alcoa, Milan, Loudon and CAK. Why doesnt GP take a shot at a Milan or an Alcoa rival like Loudon or CAK to see where they stand. That way if they and Alcoa do meet in the finals they have a comparable game to look at.

Its no secret here how much I despise Goodpasture and everything involved with it but Im not going to go into that and be completely honest. You bring up playing Alcoa in scrimmages and regular season but honestly I think that would be a terrible idea. Just going by the last few State games how do you think the GP kids would have felt going into that game if Alcoa had beaten them by 30 (just using the state scores) a few weeks before? It would be a very hard game to get up for. Instead of trying to go straight to the big dog, maybe GP should take a smaller step. Arguably the top 4 teams in 3a last year were Alcoa, Milan, Loudon and CAK. Why doesnt GP take a shot at a Milan or an Alcoa rival like Loudon or CAK to see where they stand. That way if they and Alcoa do meet in the finals they have a comparable game to look at.

We here at Goodpasture are proud of our past. We will play whoever Coach Martin gets. He always schedules 5a and 6a school for there non-district games. This year they play CPA, David Lipscomb, Ravenwood, McGavock, and Whites Creek. Not a bad lineup. Coach Martin has always played a tough schedule to get the kids ready for the playoffs. And Goodpasture is consitantly one of the top teams in there classification. But each year is different, and each year is a new opportunity for each team. Goodpasture needs to take one game at a time, and worry about the end of the year later.

Edited by NEEDFORSPEED

We here at Goodpasture are proud of our past. We will play whoever Coach Martin gets. He always schedules 5a and 6a school for there non-district games. This year they play CPA, David Lipscomb, Ravenwood, McGavock, and Whites Creek. Not a bad lineup. Coach Martin has always played a tough schedule to get the kids ready for the playoffs. And Goodpasture is consitantly one of the top teams in there classification. But each year is different, and each year is a new opportunity for each team. Goodpasture needs to take one game at a time, and worry about the end of the year later.

I hope it didnt come off as I was saying GP doesnt play anybody. The certainly have a very good schedule. I was just saying that many believed teams like CAK and Loudon were state championship caliber teams last year. I just thought it would be better to prepare for Alcoa if you played a common team instead of actually playing Alcoa.

I hope it didnt come off as I was saying GP doesnt play anybody. The certainly have a very good schedule. I was just saying that many believed teams like CAK and Loudon were state championship caliber teams last year. I just thought it would be better to prepare for Alcoa if you played a common team instead of actually playing Alcoa.

Point taken, and it did not come off that way. One of the things I like about Goodpasture is that they do not duck anybody. They continually play tough teams, to try and get ready for teams like Camden, Milan, Alcoa, CAK, etc. Good luck to you this year. I hope everyone stays healthy, and we are looking forward to an exciting second half of the season.

Good thought Tornado74. I think that one of those teams would be a good addition to our future schedule. However, this year is set and we have to battle one week at a time to see whos going to meet us in Cookeville!

Before everybody plans an Alcoa vs GP final, one point to consider with the playoffs is the fact that Goodpasture may end up in the eastern bracket depending upon the makeup of playoff teams. I think the TSSAA look at all the playoff teams and divide it based on geography. This means any teams from District 8 or 9 may find themselves in another bracket. We never know until week 10.

Before everybody plans an Alcoa vs GP final, one point to consider with the playoffs is the fact that Goodpasture may end up in the eastern bracket depending upon the makeup of playoff teams. I think the TSSAA look at all the playoff teams and divide it based on geography. This means any teams from District 8 or 9 may find themselves in another bracket. We never know until week 10.

You are 100% correct. My thought exactly. This is high school football, and you never know what is going to happen. On a seperate note, it was nice to see Goodpasture get some pub this weekend after there tough win against CPA. Goodpasture is not perfect, but they have a chance if they keep improving. They had a nice spot on Fox news, and they had a nice picture on the cover of the sports page (the tennessean) Saturday. That is all nice, but you can not overlook anyone! Work hard Cougars, and do not let the press go to your head!