Nooga Area

MVM

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, if these boards don't start heating up, you and I are going to have to charge everyone for this entertainment we provide and then donate to a charity. Of course, we will need to start a new running up the score thread to argue over which charity to donate to.

Now that's funny. I don't see our exchanges as arguments. In fact I think there is value added in the discussions. Take it easy.

Edited by socref1

Go for it. I don't pretend to know the answers and often seek out those wiser and much more knowledgeable. Plus you will be amazed what you can find with a good Google search. My involvement on this forum as socref is to try and educate, understand and improve. I learn too. I learn that people have different points of view and as a parent of a player myself, have worn that hat on occasion. I am not full of myself to say I do not make mistakes. Some of my best learning has been from the most heinous mistakes. The difference is that I try and apply the lesson learned and come back stronger. Will I ever get it right? Probably not. But I will try to get it right, and that is all I can offer. I get yelled at, and called every name in the book. But I realize its not me personally they detest. I can assure you that I am my own worse critic because I have a high standard. Some people don't like the official as an entity. I personally am not an authority figure in my life. I see refereeing more like part lion tamer, part orchestra conductor. I do not like being the cop. But sometimes it has to be the role.

Socref, this is good stuff. I confess to being one of those parents who is slowly, and I mean slowly beginning to understand offsides in soccer. (I personally think it is the worst rule in all of sports because it punishes an athlete for doing what he is naturally trained and inclined to do, which is to get open and score, and it allows the opposing team to benefit from trickery, but I digress. It is what it is, so deal, right?)

Many parents watch offsides called and assume the sideline guy doesn't understand the "when it is kicked" part of the rule. We hear that a lot in the stands. I have a hard time believing the ref doesn't know that rule.

The links you posted, for me, confirm my latest theory: It is simply not humanly possible to watch two areas of action at the same time. Baseball umpires do what is mentioned in the link in calling bang-bang plays at first base all the time. They listen for the ball hitting the glove and watch the feet on the base. However, they are four feet away and they get it right about 70 percent of the time per a recent study. So to me, asking an official to look down a line across the field, assuming he gets there in time as you point out, and listen for the ball being kicked 10, 20, 30 yards away, is difficult at best. I submit it is impossible. Does that mean refs don't "get it right?" Of course they do, but more importantly, they make a call and it stands and play resumes. They do their best. What is troubling is that it plays such a huge part of nearly every soccer game played.

So what is the point? Don't know. The way it is set up, refs are doing the best they can do. It is hard to imagine a good solution short of instant replay and I don't advocate that. Do they get it right more often than parents? Probably, but that is a bit like being the world's best Amish auto mechanic.

I hope this reads in the spirit it is written. I am not anti-referee by any means. As someone who has played and coached several sports, I just think this rule is "interesting."

Socref, this is good stuff. I confess to being one of those parents who is slowly, and I mean slowly beginning to understand offsides in soccer. (I personally think it is the worst rule in all of sports because it punishes an athlete for doing what he is naturally trained and inclined to do, which is to get open and score, and it allows the opposing team to benefit from trickery, but I digress. It is what it is, so deal, right?)

Many parents watch offsides called and assume the sideline guy doesn't understand the "when it is kicked" part of the rule. We hear that a lot in the stands. I have a hard time believing the ref doesn't know that rule.

The links you posted, for me, confirm my latest theory: It is simply not humanly possible to watch two areas of action at the same time. Baseball umpires do what is mentioned in the link in calling bang-bang plays at first base all the time. They listen for the ball hitting the glove and watch the feet on the base. However, they are four feet away and they get it right about 70 percent of the time per a recent study. So to me, asking an official to look down a line across the field, assuming he gets there in time as you point out, and listen for the ball being kicked 10, 20, 30 yards away, is difficult at best. I submit it is impossible. Does that mean refs don't "get it right?" Of course they do, but more importantly, they make a call and it stands and play resumes. They do their best. What is troubling is that it plays such a huge part of nearly every soccer game played.

So what is the point? Don't know. The way it is set up, refs are doing the best they can do. It is hard to imagine a good solution short of instant replay and I don't advocate that. Do they get it right more often than parents? Probably, but that is a bit like being the world's best Amish auto mechanic.

I hope this reads in the spirit it is written. I am not anti-referee by any means. As someone who has played and coached several sports, I just think this rule is "interesting."

No problem. Offside rule in soccer will probably stay. People do need to know it does help the game. Its historic and keeps forwards from cherry picking. Its difficult to do right and the AR will miss the game and fouls if he is focused on offside. This is a good thing, because the CR is watching the game as is the trail AR.

WOW...What a past week in the Nooga.... This week however is a little weak. Just not that many great match-ups. But hey, I think some teams need to catch their breath. Most teams should know their strengths and weaknesses by now and get ready for the upcoming District games.

The Secret Squirrel Soccer Society have convened and this is how they have it.

1..Baylor...They just keep on trucking

2..GPS...Simone

3..Soddy Daisy...They over came the sprinkler conspiracy

4..CCS...Gettin better with time

5..Signal Mtn..A little to direct in their attack for my taste, but wickedly physical

6..Notre Dame...Strugglin, but I still have faith in my little green friends

7..Cleveland...I'll get to see them this coming week

8..McMinn Co...

9..East Hamilton

10..McMinn Centrel..Coach McConkey has his girls on top of their District so far and deserves some love.

Match ups

9/14 N Dame vs Signal Mtn....This is a huge match up, and should be a great game

E. Hamilton vs Livingston

Baylor vs Ensworth

Also the Cleveland Tourney is this week and I haven't seen the schedule for all the games yet. If you have it can someone please post it :thumb:

Sorry, but having seen the teams play I can say that GPS is not better than Soddy, Signal, or East Hamilton. Do not know about ND or CCS against GPS, time will tell.

Sorry, but having seen the teams play I can say that GPS is not better than Soddy, Signal, or East Hamilton. Do not know about ND or CCS against GPS, time will tell.

Not sure which game you saw GPS, but they did beat my green buddies and my green lucky ladies beat Signal. Which is why I have them above those two teams. And like you said time will tell. Heck these are HS school girls and to be perfectly HONEST. Any team, 2 thru 9 playing each other could win on any given night. :flower: