Tennessee @ Science Hill

THSVikings2004

Well, you can move the chains because it's a Tennessee High errr Science Hill.................................................! You had to be there. My first visit to South Carolina's new stadium. It's a looker. But don't waste your time if you actually want to see a football game. You know how Death Valley is at a 50 degree angle and allows a great view of the whole field no matter where you sit? You know how the Castle is the best venue in NET? You know how J Fred is one of the most awsome stadiums around (at least for homers)? Well the Topper stadium is every bit of 25 degrees. I might as well have brought a chair and sat on the ground. I think I was like a half mile from the sideline. I told my son we would just wait and see it on film. And the Trinitron...errr...Jumbo?Tron...well suffice to say I forgot my binoculars. And the instant replays...well aren't they supposed to be played when the current play isn't in motion? Which would you watch? The 40 yard reception that is on replay, or the interception that is happening in real time? Neither, because you can't see either. And the Topper Nation? Word is that Stacy is going to hire the Rebel Nation to teach them the meaning of fanatical fan support and how we don't give up when we are down 14, 21, even 28 points. Talk about fairweather fans. At the beginning of the second quarter the game was over...well according to the Topper fans I was near. I guess it will take a bigger bowl of beans to convince these roundballers that they might could have a football team. And their band played during 90% of the Vikings snaps! How rude can you get? Bristol didn't play during one Topper snap. At least both bands came dressed for the occasion! More than I can say for South's band. Stacy lost the game because of playing too conservative in the first half. Stubbs won the game because he has an animale' offensive line and RB's that have an attitude. They made Kenan Shephard look like...well...like he graduated. He did graduate didn't he? I won't go to another game at the Topper stadium...because now instead of just reading glasses I need 4 inch thick glasses because of straining my eyes tonight. Science Hill doesn't have a prayer against the Indians. Bristol has a prayer. Maybe even a revival...but no snake handling. But wait...that last 45 yarder to the Viking WR?...double teamed to boot!...and the ball was placed square in his hands at waist level...incredible. That happened right in front of me so I was able to make that one out. I have chastized the Indian Nation (AD) for their waste of money on putting the cart before the horse but this stadium takes the cake for total wasted money. And speaking of money...at South Stacy told me in 2005, "Let's build a championship program before we celebrate. Well, I think the Topper Nation is celebrating before the championship program is built. Rude awakening on it's way. On paper, Science Hill should have eaten Bristol's lunch. And on paper they should devour DB as well. It's interesting to those that are students of the game...The spread offense is intended as a go for the throat offense and at South that is how Stacy ran it. Stubbs (or anyone elses) power running offense lives on the premise of busting on the set of players on a high school football team that is the most vulnerable...the D line. When you run power backs three deep at a D line all night sooner or later they will run out of gas. And so is the phylosophy of Stubbs and Clark. It will be a game worth seeing...but not in Johnson City.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I have to say CONGRATULATIONS to the VIKINGS on a BIG win!!!! :thumb: HARD fought game by both sides but there is no question in my mind that the better team at this point in the season won. First half was total domination by the Vikings. I know it was only 17 to 0 at half... but had we not had to play 17 PEOPLE on the field the score WOULD have told the story. That's right I said it... WORST ATEMPT TO STILL A GAME against the Vikings since I believe the 07' SOUTH game and the infamous no call on the fumble by Curt Philips at the goal line!!! I heard HILL say he couldn't wait to see the replay. YOU AINT THE ONLY ONE BROTHA!!!! I urge everybody to watch this replay.... so you won't be shocked when the same thing happens to U under the WATCHFUL eye of the JUMBO-TRON! Of course the replay option wasn't available for the REFEREE HIGHLIGHTS!!! You think I'm just winnin or blowin smoke... WATCH THE REPLAY ON TUESDAY. :geek:

Cap, I have to say that the offensive interference call in the corner was in front of me and it was a good call. The three calls after that were just good home cooking. The intentional grounding call? Incredible. Science Hill was not mentally ready. The Vikings were.

Cap, I have to say that the offensive interference call in the corner was in front of me and it was a good call. The three calls after that were just good home cooking. The intentional grounding call? Incredible. Science Hill was not mentally ready. The Vikings were.

Comp what's your opinion on the some of the mistakes tonight. Do you think it was coaching errors, player errors, or home cooking. I was worried that the Vikings were trying to do things that they haven't done all season.

First I have to say CONGRATULATIONS to the VIKINGS on a BIG win!!!! :thumb: HARD fought game by both sides but there is no question in my mind that the better team at this point in the season won. First half was total domination by the Vikings. I know it was only 17 to 0 at half... but had we not had to play 17 PEOPLE on the field the score WOULD have told the story. That's right I said it... WORST ATEMPT TO STILL A GAME against the Vikings since I believe the 07' SOUTH game and the infamous no call on the fumble by Curt Philips at the goal line!!! I heard HILL say he couldn't wait to see the replay. YOU AINT THE ONLY ONE BROTHA!!!! I urge everybody to watch this replay.... so you won't be shocked when the same thing happens to U under the WATCHFUL eye of the JUMBO-TRON! Of course the replay option wasn't available for the REFEREE HIGHLIGHTS!!! You think I'm just winnin or blowin smoke... WATCH THE REPLAY ON TUESDAY. :geek:

I was on the Vikings side 20 yd line near jumbo tron. The ref was closer to me. I don't know what the kid from Science Hill was thinking, nor how the ref missed it, but the kid touched the ball. It should have been alot uglier in the 1st half. I agree with Comp on the intentional grounding, deplorable. I would have loved to seen the 1st half Vikings and the 3rd quarter Toppers play for 4 quarter. Of course no refs this time.

I have a couple other things to get off my chest. The field and stadium is THE BOMB! :thumb: At first I thought it was going to be hard to see all the action from so fare away from the field and from such a low vantage point... but I could see all the action sitting on about the 35 about two quarters of the way up. Here is my beefs. The public announcer has to be the most annoying person in the world.... OMG!!! We heard "Lets help Science Hill and the TSSAA in keeping this a litter free stadium". OMG... by the time he was through, I was looking for something... anything... that I could throw on the ground!! He also had the NERVE to play a replay of a game (must have been back in the 60s or something) at halftime in which the Hilltoppers were victorious over the Vikings. :roflol: Very pitiful if you ask me ... especially given the outcome of the game. Last thing.... charging for parking ON SCHOOL PROPERTY is out and out TACKY. Beautiful stadium though.

Edited by Cap1

WHATEVER!!I TOLD YOU THIS WANT ANOTHER PANCAKE TEAM YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING.You won so stop whinnin!You actting like yall dont get some HOME CALLS in the Stone. :thumb: You just mad cause you thought SHILL was going to lay down,But they came back and gave you all yall wanted,Be step up from SE,DC,VH aint it :roflol:

So is offensive pass interference a loss of down? It makes sense but I was unaware of that rule in high school.

Comp what's your opinion on the some of the mistakes tonight. Do you think it was coaching errors, player errors, or home cooking. I was worried that the Vikings were trying to do things that they haven't done all season.

I have not seen the Toppers play yet this season. But they evidently have played their previous games exactly as they did in the first quarter. You and Cap have been around since Stacy's inception at South and you both know quite well he plays with a sledgehammer from the first kickoff. Not true tonight. The Vikings were surprised that they so easily took a 17 point lead that they were beside themselves. They didn't expect to be so successful. I recall the Viking/DB game in 2006 at the Castle. In the first quarter the Vikings owned the Indians...then all Hades broke loose. I think the Vikings came to play with the underdog mentality. That's the result of playing low level competition in the first third of the season. Had the Vikings played the Indians tonight it would have been no different than in 2006. But now they know they are warriors. They will be able to stay on the field with DB...at least for a while. I felt that Downs could and should have been used in the traditional TE passing formation on 3rd and 4th down situations...ie...faked punt. Much like Stacy used Ty Garvin in the past. That's coaching. Stubbs was agast also. But the deep route with Mitchell and no one within 20 yards of him. Somebody was whacking off. Haynie sees this film he will go deep all night long. Stacy did not see his trump card. And that was the fly pattern. Your corner and safety on that side were not able to hang. That would have won the game for Stacy. You will not see a better D line than you saw tonight. And Stubbs was determined to break it down. He did. All in all I thought the players on both sides performed admirably. It was a coaching game and Stubbs won. There was home cooking. You secondary was weak. I don't think Stubbs experimentation went badly. But Science Hill should have beat you only Stacy didn't go for the throat soon enough.

Is that as much as B. Downs (think thats his name) normally gets used? I was expecting to see him get used alot. I saw two throws over his head (which is a way up) and the other was beautiful catch for 1st down. At least from what I could see. I need new glasses. I couldn't see.

STUBBS dont know how to use him :unsure:

Is that as much as B. Downs (think thats his name) normally gets used? I was expecting to see him get used alot. I saw two throws over his head (which is a way up) and the other was beautiful catch for 1st down. At least from what I could see. I need new glasses. I couldn't see.

They usually only throw about 8 times a game. I don't know why but it feels like they definately threw it to Brendan Downs more in the three previous games than this one. Aside from the trick play, I don't think the Vikings threw a single pass in the 1st half. My opinion is they were playing it too conservative for most of the game and then when Science Hill scores their first touchdown it's like they're trying to put out a fire and begin rolling the dice when the odds were very much against them. :rolleyes:

Edited by THSVikings2004

I attended my first game at the new SH stadium tonight and came away very impressed with it. Not sure why some are having so much trouble seeing the field(need glasses?)but my 60 year old father(who doesn't have the best sight)and I sat on the top row behind the SH student section and could see everything just fine. My father even commented multiple times on how impressed he was with the jumbo tron. The field is just, wow. Very nice. All in all both my father and I agreed it's a really nice place to watch a high school football game. And to the person who said TN High's band didn't play at all during any of SH's snaps. You're wrong. They did. My father and I both noticed and commented on how we thought it was rude of the bands to do this.