What's wrong with Halls?

btgoG

After a disappointing, but recoverable, 28-27 loss on the road to start the season at Clinton, Halls has had a complete meltdown losing...

31 - 0 to Sevier County

62 - 7 to Powell

42 - 7 to Webb

and

35 - 3 to Oak Ridge

Will Halls win a game this year?

If so, what will it take?

Why have they had such a meltdown from a couple of years ago when they were a repeat playoff team?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the old saying, Halls has it, will soon be changed to Halls HAD it. I have never seen a fb program go down hil so fast. Maybe it is what Powell faced a few years ago, the talent level aint as good as it used to be and the coaching, well I've complaind about the little feller for 2-3 years, but I aint so sure there aint some unlying problem. I mean why would young respectable coaches like Hassel and Kilgore level and go over the ridge to Central? I dont know about the upcoming talent level from the youth program but they used to win everything and now maybe they have fell off a bit.

Will they win a game? Prolly, but I cant put a finger on a forsure victory just yet!

devil, I think it's just lack of talent right now. The offense Friday night must have used a dozen or so different formations. Halls ran everything but the wing T against Oak Ridge. Is that what they've done all year or was all that new for the OR game? You guys just need a good couple of freshmen classes to come through back to back. We need the same thing. Talent level is down at both schools.

After a disappointing, but recoverable, 28-27 loss on the road to start the season at Clinton, Halls has had a complete meltdown losing...

31 - 0 to Sevier County

62 - 7 to Powell

42 - 7 to Webb

and

35 - 3 to Oak Ridge

Will Halls win a game this year?

If so, what will it take?

Why have they had such a meltdown from a couple of years ago when they were a repeat playoff team?

In that Clinton game, 14 of their 27 pts was scored on defense. Thats only 30 pts scored on offense to this point. There is a big problem with the offense. I never have liked the wing-t offense anyway.

You know what? When Clinton started having 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 seasons, we were using the wing-t offense too.

It starts with the feeder system the Community Park. We have lost some very good coaching over the past few years with the younger groups especially the important middle school years. This has led to some player defections to other schools and as a community school this has hurt our talent pool. Of course this isn't something new but the tag generally is placed on the offense scheme we run.

Wing-t offense is a good offense when you have the right personel to run it. No true fullback and it just doesn't work. We have basically small statue kids and they should be used in a more pro like setting perhaps like AC just a thought. I am glad we are trying to experiment with different formations.

This year even when we have a mediocre offense the defense can stand alone sadly this isn't the case anymore.

I still have high hopes for two wins. I targeted four at the start of the season but we are in a brutal district and most programs have leaped upward even beyond my expectations. It will change again for the better and the cycle will give more opportunities to younger kids to get experience. So with hard work it will turn the corner again. Halls will have it but not in the near future.

Edited by ZCAR

It starts with the feeder system the Community Park. We have lost some very good coaching over the past few years with the younger groups especially the important middle school years. This has led to some player defections to other schools and as a community school this has hurt our talent pool. Of course this isn't something new but the tag generally is placed on the offense scheme we run.

Wing-t offense is a good offense when you have the right personel to run it. No true fullback and it just doesn't work. We have basically small statue kids and they should be used in a more pro like setting perhaps like AC just a thought. I am glad we are trying to experiment with different formations.

This year even when we have a mediocre offense the defense can stand alone sadly this isn't the case anymore.

I still have high hopes for two wins. I targeted four at the start of the season but we are in a brutal district and most programs have leaped upward even beyond my expectations. It will change again for the better and the cycle will give more opportunities to younger kids to get experience. So with hard work it will turn the corner again. Halls will have it but not in the near future.

I would put in new formations and just try alot of new stuff. Maybe some trick plays and such. Just let the kids go out and have FUN...they have nothing to lose at this point.

I would put in new formations and just try alot of new stuff. Maybe some trick plays and such. Just let the kids go out and have FUN...they have nothing to lose at this point.

I agree they have a lot of sweat equity involved through the long year not to have a smiling face every once in a while. The crossroads just needs to stay positive and learn from experience. The worm will turn.

Edited by ZCAR

Here's what I think...

I think we have a good head coach.

I think a lot of our talented assitants, sadly, have gone for greener pastures.

I think the Wing-T only works when you have the personell and even so, despite our traditions, Halls needs to give the Wing-T up. I haven't been here my whole life, but having been in the military, I've travelled around a lot and I've seen some AWESOME High School Football in states such as... Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Missouri, and Texas. I've witnessed teams that would slap Maryville and Alcoa around for 4 quarters, with ease. The top programs, in all cases, ran either pro-style offenses or a spread type offense, had great QBs (not the sons of the most pushy parents), and had big, dominant linemen, who were well coached in both run-blocking and pass-protection. Most, if not all the varsity players attended college camps over the summer and they all had great weight programs. Team depth was more important than playing time, stats, and college football resumes'. If your son is good, he'll get noticed whether or not he is the Prep-Extra Player of the Week.

I seen a trend where more and more talented players are leaving the program to play for Anderson County, Gibbs, Central, and heck, even Maryville on occassion simply because their parents don't like the position their son plays or the paying time they're getting. THIS HAS TO STOP. What are they teaching their sons? We need more Randy Halls and Caleb Leonards. Guys who will commit to being a Red Devil for life. It will take a couple of years to right this ship, but I beleive in Kevin Julian and hope he's still at Halls when my next batch of sons is of age to play HS Football. I NEVER thought my sons deserved more playing time than they got and was grateful for them to just be able to strap on the pads and give their best effort. They were also grateful and respected (still do) the coaches they played for.

I also think our youth football program in Halls can use some more talented coaching, not just the parents of young players who want to corral their owns sons into playing time and future positions in High School. I honestly believe there is wayyyyyyyyyyy to much nepotism in our youth program and the wrong players are being developed (mis-developed) into positions their parents want to see them play in rather than where there talent lies (doesn't lie). Is there a way our Head HS Coach and community leaders can have some more influence in this area? I've seen some youth programs where parents can not coach their own sons. This isn't a bad idea IMO. I certainly wouldn't want to coach my own sons.

Halls has the potential to be a perenial state contender in the future, but some SYSTEM stuff will need to change. IMO, it's a good time for an overhaul of the program; not just the High School varisty, but the Halls Community Park Midgets, etc..., the Middle School, the Freshmen, etc... Put in a new style offense more applicable to what works in the 2000's. Address the fundamentals more at the youth level and stop trying to get fancy with the play-calling with 7-13 year olds. Let these current varsity players have fun and all get some playing time; develop the future potential that is out there with good coaching; and put a STOP to the parents living vicariously through their sons.

OBTW, $$$ does not equal a football birthright. Give because you believe, not because you expect something in return.

The new Football Field House is first-rate; the community loves their Red Devils; and the traditions, except for the Wing-T, need to be embraced again.

Go Red Devils!!!

Here's what I think...

I think we have a good head coach.

I think a lot of our talented assitants, sadly, have gone for greener pastures.

I think the Wing-T only works when you have the personell and even so, despite our traditions, Halls needs to give the Wing-T up. I haven't been here my whole life, but having been in the military, I've travelled around a lot and I've seen some AWESOME High School Football in states such as... Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Missouri, and Texas. I've witnessed teams that would slap Maryville and Alcoa around for 4 quarters, with ease. The top programs, in all cases, ran either pro-style offenses or a spread type offense, had great QBs (not the sons of the most pushy parents), and had big, dominant linemen, who were well coached in both run-blocking and pass-protection. Most, if not all the varsity players attended college camps over the summer and they all had great weight programs. Team depth was more important than playing time, stats, and college football resumes'. If your son is good, he'll get noticed whether or not he is the Prep-Extra Player of the Week.

I seen a trend where more and more talented players are leaving the program to play for Anderson County, Gibbs, Central, and heck, even Maryville on occassion simply because their parents don't like the position their son plays or the paying time they're getting. THIS HAS TO STOP. What are they teaching their sons? We need more Randy Halls and Caleb Leonards. Guys who will commit to being a Red Devil for life. It will take a couple of years to right this ship, but I beleive in Kevin Julian and hope he's still at Halls when my next batch of sons is of age to play HS Football. I NEVER thought my sons deserved more playing time than they got and was grateful for them to just be able to strap on the pads and give their best effort. They were also grateful and respected (still do) the coaches they played for.

I also think our youth football program in Halls can use some more talented coaching, not just the parents of young players who want to corral their owns sons into playing time and future positions in High School. I honestly believe there is wayyyyyyyyyyy to much nepotism in our youth program and the wrong players are being developed (mis-developed) into positions their parents want to see them play in rather than where there talent lies (doesn't lie). Is there a way our Head HS Coach and community leaders can have some more influence in this area? I've seen some youth programs where parents can not coach their own sons. This isn't a bad idea IMO. I certainly wouldn't want to coach my own sons.

Halls has the potential to be a perenial state contender in the future, but some SYSTEM stuff will need to change. IMO, it's a good time for an overhaul of the program; not just the High School varisty, but the Halls Community Park Midgets, etc..., the Middle School, the Freshmen, etc... Put in a new style offense more applicable to what works in the 2000's. Address the fundamentals more at the youth level and stop trying to get fancy with the play-calling with 7-13 year olds. Let these current varsity players have fun and all get some playing time; develop the future potential that is out there with good coaching; and put a STOP to the parents living vicariously through their sons.

OBTW, $$$ does not equal a football birthright. Give because you believe, not because you expect something in return.

The new Football Field House is first-rate; the community loves their Red Devils; and the traditions, except for the Wing-T, need to be embraced again.

Go Red Devils!!!

Not much I'd quibble with here. Good post.