Farragut Offense

Former44

It was kind of odd to see Farragut run so much of the 2 TE set, especially since both TE's also play LB, and felt Harper and Brown did wear down a little as the game progressed this week. I would imagine chasing #5 for Riverdale had something to do with it as well.

I would be curious if they might consider moving Rule to RB next year to utilize his legs and King's arm at the same time. King is not much of a runner but if you want to put the best on the field at once this may be the best answer. Having Rule and Johnson both along side King would make the defense stay honest at least. Former44, what do you think?

Interesting idea. I would certainly get the ball to Rule and Johnson in the run game, but I like the idea of a back with some ability to block in the backfield as well. This is especially important to lead on the midline option which has been so effective, and of course to pass protect.

I like the King idea, but what do you think about risking both your punter and kicker? He looks awfully good at both for a Soph. and he will most assuredly get better. Is there anyone waiting in the wings to handle those duties in the event of an injury? I definitely agree with you that any such change would have to occur next year.

King throws a nice ball from what I have seen. As a matter of fact, he actually ran the zone/read keeper effectively on a couple of occasions in scrimmages. He isn't Rule, but he appeared quite serviceable as a runner.

At the same time, Rule has gotten better each week. If he continues to improve, behind a line that is young and bound to get stronger, I don't see the coaches changing. In addition, I would prefer to stay with a run first mentality until I had more big play threats at WR. Play-action from an effective run game sure helps to freeze/hold those LB's and DB's when it's time to throw.

At any rate, I think you covered the most important point. You have to get the best players on the field at the right positions.

Edited by Former44

Interesting idea. I would certainly get the ball to Rule and Johnson in the run game, but I like the idea of a back with some ability to block in the backfield as well. This is especially important to lead on the midline option which has been so effective, and of course to pass protect.

I like the King idea, but what do you think about risking both your punter and kicker? He looks awfully good at both for a Soph. and he will most assuredly get better. Is there anyone waiting in the wings to handle those duties in the event of an injury? I definitely agree with you that any such change would have to occur next year.

King throws a nice ball from what I have seen. As a matter of fact, he actually ran the zone/read keeper effectively on a couple of occasions in scrimmages. He isn't Rule, but he appeared quite serviceable as a runner.

At the same time, Rule has gotten better each week. If he continues to improve, behind a line that is young and bound to get stronger, I don't see the coaches changing. In addition, I would prefer to stay with a run first mentality until I had more big play threats at WR. Play-action from an effective run game sure helps to freeze/hold those LB's and DB's when it's time to throw.

At any rate, I think you covered the most important point. You have to get the best players on the field at the right positions.

Would agree with this not a bad idea.

From what I've seen of the Freshman team they have 2 stud RB's. They're not real fast, but real workhorses. If either of them pan out, and Fain gets straightened out, Farragut should be pretty set at that position for a few years. Unfortunately they are lacking in the young WR position. Next year Urevic will be a Senior, and I haven't seen anyone step up that could really take the load off him. Brown should be able to excel from the TE spot next year so that should keep the safeties in the middle of the field, and out of Urevic's way.

From what I've seen of the Freshman team they have 2 stud RB's. They're not real fast, but real workhorses. If either of them pan out, and Fain gets straightened out, Farragut should be pretty set at that position for a few years. Unfortunately they are lacking in the young WR position. Next year Urevic will be a Senior, and I haven't seen anyone step up that could really take the load off him. Brown should be able to excel from the TE spot next year so that should keep the safeties in the middle of the field, and out of Urevic's way.

What is the deal with Fain? I have to wonder why he isn't utilized more, particularly on defense. He appears capable of providing help in the secondary. His additional 25 lbs sure would have helped in run support against Riverdale, and his height and wheels seem conducive to corner. I have even wondered if the coaches have ever considered moving Johnson to corner, and then using Fain at Free.

Freeman puzzles me the most. I watched him literally de-cleat TWO Riverdale kids on kickoff coverage. Why isn't this kid on the field more? If not offense(Although I still think he would make an excellent blocking back, he does tend to run with his head down), what about defense? I guess the DE experiment failed, but what about LB? His size and physicality would certainly have been welcome at backer I would think, especially against Riverdale's perimeter run game. This is just the kind of guy I would want taking on a fullback lead or shooting a gap on the blitz. I know one can't learn LB overnight. I guess my question would have to be, why hasn't this kid been developed to get him on the field? I remember thinking, as far back as spring, that he sure looked like an outstanding DE or LB prospect.

I don't see these kids at practice everyday, and I'm sure some kids may be deficient in certain areas. It just seems to me that Farragut talent could be better utilized.

Edited by Former44

• 3 weeks later...

Well you got your wish 44, although not maybe the way desired. Freeman looked good, ran hard, and was a load to bring down behind that improving offensive line. So now what as option #2? Will Hudson be able to go? The guy with the most experience at RB would have to be Hannay. He has played there for several years before this fall and was the JV workhorse last year there. Without Rule does a two back set become more viable? Overall the offense has improved leaps and bounds but can the injury obstacle be overcome?

Two games to go with playoff possibilities. I wish all the injured Admirals a complete recovery!

Well you got your wish 44, although not maybe the way desired. Freeman looked good, ran hard, and was a load to bring down behind that improving offensive line. So now what as option #2? Will Hudson be able to go? The guy with the most experience at RB would have to be Hannay. He has played there for several years before this fall and was the JV workhorse last year there. Without Rule does a two back set become more viable? Overall the offense has improved leaps and bounds but can the injury obstacle be overcome?

Two games to go with playoff possibilities. I wish all the injured Admirals a complete recovery!

It’s unfortunate that it took attrition on such an absolute scale to get Freeman in the backfield. Even when Maryville held him to short gains, they often could not get him to the ground. I wish he had gotten more carries, but I would have also liked to see him leading Rule on a few more plays. I have always thought Freeman could be a devastating blocker, especially in the midline game. Of course, if Rule is out the midline option is impossible without mobility at QB.

If Farragut is forced to go with less mobility at QB, I still believe a second RB would bring deception and versatility to the offense. However, if Hudson returns, I suspect Freeman will be relegated to special teams once again.

I have to confess, losing Rule concerns me. Does Sweetland now have what he truly desires, an immobile statue at QB (read further, no offense intended) to wing it all over the field? If such is the case, I have to comment that I think this would be a tremendous mistake for several reasons.

1) This offensive line must continue moving aggressively forward. This young line is developing into a formidable bunch of drive blockers, and they need to be firing off the ball and wearing down defenses. The last thing I want to see is this physical O-line backpedaling/“catching†to pass block all night. Chasing a bunch of smaller/quicker D-lineman is a good way to wear down your own offensive linemen.

2) This team simply does not have enough depth of talent at WR to consistently “wing it all over the fieldâ€. I believe the passing game must be supported by play action from an effective ground game.

3) Even if King could run effectively, how often can Farragut afford to use him in the run game? In one play, the punter and place-kicker (who puts it in the end zone on virtually every kickoff) could be lost. It’s too risky in my opinion. Personally, I would rather incorporate a little more “Wild Admiral†with Perez and Freeman/Hudson.

I believe you have to be able to run the football, especially once you face playoff caliber teams. “Winging it around†doesn’t cut it. Here are a few recent examples of what I mean:

2008 against Ooltewah. We had Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. yet we struggled to even produce a first down (A pretty good O-line that spent way too much time “catching†in my estimation).

2009 against Maryville. We had an experienced Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. We had a 24-10 lead, yet would not commit to running the football in the second half. Although Maryville had demonstrated no real ability to stop Purty, back to back interceptions gave Maryville the short field and the game.

2009 against Ooltewah. We had an experienced Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. yet struggled in the first half with interceptions. We dominated the second half with a physical, often two RB, running attack.

2009 against Maryville (Playoffs). We had an experienced Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. yet once again an interception return for TD turned the tide in a 14-14 game.

See a pattern? If you can win the game on the ground, Do it!

Edited by Former44

I have to confess, losing Rule concerns me. Does Sweetland now have what he truly desires, an immobile statue at QB (read further, no offense intended) to wing it all over the field? If such is the case, I have to comment that I think this would be a tremendous mistake for several reasons.

1) This offensive line must continue moving aggressively forward. This young line is developing into a formidable bunch of drive blockers, and they need to be firing off the ball and wearing down defenses. The last thing I want to see is this physical O-line backpedaling/“catching†to pass block all night. Chasing a bunch of smaller/quicker D-lineman is a good way to wear down your own offensive linemen.

2) This team simply does not have enough depth of talent at WR to consistently “wing it all over the fieldâ€. I believe the passing game must be supported by play action from an effective ground game.

3) Even if King could run effectively, how often can Farragut afford to use him in the run game? In one play, the punter and place-kicker (who puts it in the end zone on virtually every kickoff) could be lost. It’s too risky in my opinion. Personally, I would rather incorporate a little more “Wild Admiral†with Perez and Freeman/Hudson.

I believe you have to be able to run the football, especially once you face playoff caliber teams. “Winging it around†doesn’t cut it. Here are a few recent examples of what I mean:

2008 against Ooltewah. We had Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. yet we struggled to even produce a first down (A pretty good O-line that spent way too much time “catching†in my estimation).

2009 against Maryville. We had an experienced Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. We had a 24-10 lead, yet would not commit to running the football in the second half. Although Maryville had demonstrated no real ability to stop Purty, back to back interceptions gave Maryville the short field and the game.

2009 against Ooltewah. We had an experienced Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. yet struggled in the first half with interceptions. We dominated the second half with a physical, often two RB, running attack.

2009 against Maryville (Playoffs). We had an experienced Browning, Van Dyne, Allen, etc. yet once again an interception return for TD turned the tide in a 14-14 game.

See a pattern? If you can win the game on the ground, Do it!

The pick six came when Maryville was up 28-14. Not sure how it turned the game.

I heard that Hannay has quit the team, so cowabunga dude that option is out. I can't understand why a starter would quit, I mean you really gotta not like football to quit when you're starting. #3 has proven to be a player you can't depend on, I heard he is keeping himself out, the ortho folks can find nothing wrong with him, maybe an MRI will tell for sure. Not sure why Fain seems to be the odd man out. He has loads of talent and seems to run the ball hard. Freeman is an anomolly, he's a senior, but never came out for football until the Spring. Don't know what he's really capable of since he's just doesn't have much experience. I have seen him lay the ball down, but it seems all Farragut's RB's have had that problem this year.

What it all boils down to is that Farragut is just not that good this year across the board. They are very limited in playmakers. I'm still waiting on Perez to do something special this year, and hopefully he will with what little time the senior has left. I hope these next two games will be enough time to get things settled for the playoffs.

The pick six came when Maryville was up 28-14. Not sure how it turned the game.

Farragut had already come from 14 down once in the game. A great deal of the playbook is still available when only two scores down, including running the football, particularly with Purty’s big play ability (he had only 15 carries). 21 down in the second half limits the playbook considerably, especially with Purty’s ensuing kickoff return TD nullified by penalty.

The point of the post was to convey that Farragut should not neglect/abandon the running game as a result of Rule’s injury, not to discuss year-old games. I was merely using a few examples to support my position.

I guess I will just have to hope the Farragut viewers will grasp the overall concept of the post better than you did.

Edited by Former44