BIG 8 2010/2011

wkktnvolsfan

Coach, you must be psychic, you almost predicted the exact score! Only losing one player from last year a lot of us thought we would at least be a little competitive. Even with the number of juniors and seniors on team it looks like we are still rebuilding. How many years does it take for a program under a new coach to show a little progress? I also have a water cooler for sale, kool-aid has been rinsed out.

Momo,

Not a psychic, I have just watched a lot of basketball. I predicted 71-49 and I thought I might nail it, but each team scored a tad more, making it a 72-51 final. I was not nearly as close on my Elizabethton/Boone prediction(62-42). Boone held Betsy slightly below their season average of 73 points at 71, but the Lady Blazers could not solve the Cyclone defense and only managed 28 points. I have followed the Lady Cyclones since I left the teaching/coaching profession in 2005. Elizabethton has had a lot of good teams since 2001, but this one, in my opinion, is the most skilled, best shooting, and plays the hardest half-court defense. However, they are not the tallest, strongest, or most physical team in Betsy's recent past. Their finesse style will be tested and the continued development of the sophomores will determine how far this team goes.

I have addressed Volunteer's program issues in many threads over the years. Even a great coach cannot win without good or great players. The best basketball philosophies, X and O's knowledge, conditioning programs, and motivational speeches do not work if you do not have the developed players to take advantage of them. I am not being critical, just telling you what I see. The Lady Falcons play with heart, but they do not shoot well, do not handle the ball under pressure well, lack quickness and conditioning, and defend pretty poorly. Tennessee High got multiple wide open looks at threes and drove in for uncontested lay-ups throughout the game. Granted, Tennessee High is real good and will give Betsy a tough game tonight. It is hard to judge Coach Meyer's ability to coach until the program begins to develop more skilled players. The true test is whether the coaching and talent level are improving in the feeder schools or youth leagues. The development must happen early. Expecting anyone to develop an uncoached and underdeveloped group of freshman each year and turn them into a winning program is asking a bit too much. I am not close enough to Volunteer to see if any program building is taking place. It takes a commitment from the community, the school system, the coaches, parents, and players to build a winning program. One man cannot do all that alone.

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:popcorneater:

Rematch...THS vs Elizabethton.

This should be a dog fight. Has to be for THS to win. Up to this point, Betsy is on top. Period. Betsy can be beat though. Dugger goes for the throat from the start. He will keep his starters in almost the entire 1st quarter. They get winded doing this, but by that time, he typically has a good lead. THS must counter this, even if it means a reduction in the rotation. THS must push the tempo, driving to the basket and kicking for high percentage buckets from good shooters. It has to be run, run, run on offense because Betsy plays great half court man defense. If THS has to play half court, in and out will be more effective than around the horn and settling for the pressured trey. On d, the vikings must hedge very quickly on the screens and everyone needs to have a hand in their shooters' eye's! EVERY shot must be contested! Make the Bowlings run and play very physical d on both...make their leggs tired and they will miss their shots. It will be the toughest game yet for both teams. 5 to 7 players on each team will decide. Who's tougher? Who's in better shape? Who see's the floor better? Smart with heart will win this game!

Good luck ladies. Have a very physical but injury free game.

AJ needs to guard CB too!

Pancon,

I agree with most of your analysis and this should be a great game that will help both teams develop. Betsy won big in the first game, but I do not think the 6' Huneycutt played in that contest. Her low block size, rebounding, scoring, and lane clogging post defense will make a big difference. Burleson and Mitchell are very quick and physical. Their ability to slash to the goal and either score or draw fouls will be a challenge for Betsy. I fear that Cara Bowling and Powell will get in foul trouble if asked to guard Mitchell and Burleson for long. The opposite is also true, Cara Bowling and Powell will be hard for Bristol to guard. Easterling gives Tennessee High a nice spot up shooter, whereas Chelsea Bowling and Erin Kiser can do that for Betsy. All in all, It is a pretty close match-up with each teams top four. This game may be won by whichever teams #5-8 make the greatest contributions. For Betsy that will be Norris, Demoss, DePew, and Roberts. I do not know all of Tennessee High's top reserves, but I did like their length and atleticism last night. Should be a great game. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

The Lady Cyclones win a classic...63-55 and the score in no way indicates the closeness of the game. Tennessee High came out firing on all cylinders and threatened to blow Betsy out, leading 23-11 at the quarter. They were pounding it in to Huneycutt, Mitchell was slicing and dicing, and Burleson was bombing threes. To their credit, Betsy did not quit even though they probably missed their first ten open looks at threes. From that point on, Elizabethton methodically worked themselves back into the game. They took their first lead in the third quarter, but had to sit Cara Bowling and Powell with foul trouble. Kiser, Chelsea Bowling, and Lindsey Norris all hit huge shots in the comeback, none bigger than Chelsea Bowling's three at the buzzer in the third quarter, cutting the lead to 46-43. Tournament MVP Cara Bowling (28 points) showed what a D1 player can do by scoring 13 points and dominating the fourth quarter. Chelsea Bowling did a tremendous job keeping Mitchell away from the basket in the fourth and Kristen Powell hit some huge free throws down the stretch. These are two very good teams and both should have memorable seasons. Hats off to Burleson, Mitchell, and Huneycutt for their outstanding play. Elizabethton's starters played huge minutes. DeMoss, Roberts, and DePew got a few minutes, but the Cyclones will have to get more from the bench down the road. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!

Pancon,

I agree with most of your analysis and this should be a great game that will help both teams develop. Betsy won big in the first game, but I do not think the 6' Huneycutt played in that contest. Her low block size, rebounding, scoring, and lane clogging post defense will make a big difference. Burleson and Mitchell are very quick and physical. Their ability to slash to the goal and either score or draw fouls will be a challenge for Betsy. I fear that Cara Bowling and Powell will get in foul trouble if asked to guard Mitchell and Burleson for long. The opposite is also true, Cara Bowling and Powell will be hard for Bristol to guard. Easterling gives Tennessee High a nice spot up shooter, whereas Chelsea Bowling and Erin Kiser can do that for Betsy. All in all, It is a pretty close match-up with each teams top four. This game may be won by whichever teams #5-8 make the greatest contributions. For Betsy that will be Norris, Demoss, DePew, and Roberts. I do not know all of Tennessee High's top reserves, but I did like their length and atleticism last night. Should be a great game. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

Great game tonight at Viking Hall. Hat's off to Betsy and Cara. She's a multi-dimensional player that was clutch at the end. This was a very hard fought game and both teams played their hearts out. Both teams have what it takes to make a deep run at seasons' end. You are right, Coach 17, Huneycutt made a big difference, but I think the maturity level of Elizabethton won out in the end.

AJ was a beast! Coaching staff, on both sides did a very good job....And the fans, what can I say...very competitive, and very rowdy! I love it when a fan gets thrown out! LOL...

Go Cyclones....If we (THS) have to lose, It would be nice to lose to a State Champ.

Go Vikes...Use this and learn...most of you are still young! WORK HARDER NOW!

...And 17, I agree with your advice to Momofalcon, The support programs make a huge difference. It starts at the elementary level. It takes years to make great players! I've always said, If you want to be a great shooter, shoot the ball a million times and you'll be better than most!

I expected the game to be much closer than the season opener, but it didn't quite go as I expected. The Lady Vikes came out with energy and intensity while the Lady Cyclones were very complacent in the beginning and dug themselves a huge hole. Huneycutt clearly made a difference, but the other Lady Vikes were more ready to play tonight than in the previous meeting too. The Lady Cyclones made uncharacteristic turnovers and missed open looks early which has not been the case in any game until tonight. Cara had a huge game and was really the difference in the end. The Lady Cyclones needed to be involved in a game like this and are fortunate to come away with the win after the poor start. Regardless, this game will benefit both teams down the road. Hopefully both teams can stay healthy and make deep post-season runs. Good luck to the Lady Vikes the rest of the way. Go Lady Cyclones!

Momo,

Not a psychic, I have just watched a lot of basketball. I predicted 71-49 and I thought I might nail it, but each team scored a tad more, making it a 72-51 final. I was not nearly as close on my Elizabethton/Boone prediction(62-42). Boone held Betsy slightly below their season average of 73 points at 71, but the Lady Blazers could not solve the Cyclone defense and only managed 28 points. I have followed the Lady Cyclones since I left the teaching/coaching profession in 2005. Elizabethton has had a lot of good teams since 2001, but this one, in my opinion, is the most skilled, best shooting, and plays the hardest half-court defense. However, they are not the tallest, strongest, or most physical team in Betsy's recent past. Their finesse style will be tested and the continued development of the sophomores will determine how far this team goes.

I have addressed Volunteer's program issues in many threads over the years. Even a great coach cannot win without good or great players. The best basketball philosophies, X and O's knowledge, conditioning programs, and motivational speeches do not work if you do not have the developed players to take advantage of them. I am not being critical, just telling you what I see. The Lady Falcons play with heart, but they do not shoot well, do not handle the ball under pressure well, lack quickness and conditioning, and defend pretty poorly. Tennessee High got multiple wide open looks at threes and drove in for uncontested lay-ups throughout the game. Granted, Tennessee High is real good and will give Betsy a tough game tonight. It is hard to judge Coach Meyer's ability to coach until the program begins to develop more skilled players. The true test is whether the coaching and talent level are improving in the feeder schools or youth leagues. The development must happen early. Expecting anyone to develop an uncoached and underdeveloped group of freshman each year and turn them into a winning program is asking a bit too much. I am not close enough to Volunteer to see if any program building is taking place. It takes a commitment from the community, the school system, the coaches, parents, and players to build a winning program. One man cannot do all that alone.

Coach, thanks for your opinion, it seems to come from years of experience and I'm sure you were very successful. I admit our feeder program is not the best, but all the blame can not be put on it. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the problems you high light. Shouldn't any coach having the same players for 2-3 years at high school level be able to at least improve on some of the basic fundamentals you mentioned? How many freshmen players have solid fundamentals, know "the system" and can contribute at a competitive high school level? I have heard more high school coaches than not in every sport say they have to tell their kids to "forget everything they have learned up till now". I personally think it is the high school coaches responsibility to further develop players, especially when they are possibly a mentor for 4 years, as opposed to couple of years with different parent / coaches in feeder system programs. You make it sound as if the talent isn't handed to a high school coach they have no responsibility to make a player or team better. I for one expect the coaching at any high school level sport to be better than rec league and middle school, not an extension of it.

Coach, thanks for your opinion, it seems to come from years of experience and I'm sure you were very successful. I admit our feeder program is not the best, but all the blame can not be put on it. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the problems you high light. Shouldn't any coach having the same players for 2-3 years at high school level be able to at least improve on some of the basic fundamentals you mentioned? How many freshmen players have solid fundamentals, know "the system" and can contribute at a competitive high school level? I have heard more high school coaches than not in every sport say they have to tell their kids to "forget everything they have learned up till now". I personally think it is the high school coaches responsibility to further develop players, especially when they are possibly a mentor for 4 years, as opposed to couple of years with different parent / coaches in feeder system programs. You make it sound as if the talent isn't handed to a high school coach they have no responsibility to make a player or team better. I for one expect the coaching at any high school level sport to be better than rec league and middle school, not an extension of it.

Momo,

I will address a few of your points:

1. Yes a high school coach should make players better fundamentally from the time they enter high school until they graduate. Where they start, though, often determines how high their ceiling will be.

2. Very few freshmen should be needed to contribute on the varsity in strong programs. An occasional star should be the exception. If the high school and middle school coaches are working together to build a program, the freshmen should be schooled in all fundamentals and have a working knowledge of the program's philosophy, basic offensive and defensive systems, and the expectations for work ethic and commitment.

3. All a coach can do is work with what he has and try to do the best with it, including improving the fundamentals, conditioning, and toughness. To be really successful it takes talent. I do agree that it is the high school coaches job to help put a system in place to begin developing that talent early. If you look at the best East Tennessee programs (Greeneville, Tennessee High, Science Hill, Elizabethton, South Greene, Unicoi Co., Hampton, Cloudland, and North Greene), they all have some type of system in place that creates quality players year after year after year.

Momo,

I will address a few of your points:

1. Yes a high school coach should make players better fundamentally from the time they enter high school until they graduate. Where they start, though, often determines how high their ceiling will be.

2. Very few freshmen should be needed to contribute on the varsity in strong programs. An occasional star should be the exception. If the high school and middle school coaches are working together to build a program, the freshmen should be schooled in all fundamentals and have a working knowledge of the program's philosophy, basic offensive and defensive systems, and the expectations for work ethic and commitment.

3. All a coach can do is work with what he has and try to do the best with it, including improving the fundamentals, conditioning, and toughness. To be really successful it takes talent. I do agree that it is the high school coaches job to help put a system in place to begin developing that talent early. If you look at the best East Tennessee programs (Greeneville, Tennessee High, Science Hill, Elizabethton, South Greene, Unicoi Co., Hampton, Cloudland, and North Greene), they all have some type of system in place that creates quality players year after year after year.

Thanks for your insight, My daughter would like to play college ball. I am really trying to learn this game. After watching the skill level of some of the girls on the better teams I am afraid my daughter needs a lot more work that I do not think she will get in her remaining high school career. Where do we turn?