Baylor vs Brentwood Academy

feverpitch

Potter really said that? Wow. Baylor also had 18 first downs to just 7 first downs for BA. Considering the gift that the Red Raiders gave them at the end of the 2nd half.....really? Baylor D holds them to 33 yards in the 2nd half.....really? Very nice win for Baylor. Exciting homecoming for sure.

I am very surprised by this, but congrads to Baylor is what sounds like a great game! I really expected a blowout by BA.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for providing stats jon26 and congrats to Baylor on the win. I have never been a fan of Potter. I know he is a winner but he is too cocky for my taste. Looks like Baylor had twice the yards that Brentwood had and you guys shut them down with just 33 yards in the second half. Give them a touchdown by allowing them to start on your 9 yard line due to a big punting error. And Potter is quoted as saying." we could have easliy won the game by a couple of touchdowns." Yeah right! Looks like Potter was lucky to have not lost by a couple of touchdowns! Again, Congratulations...Potter sounds like he has a case of sour grapes. Go Red Bank!

Coach Potter is one of the least "cocky" coaches I have witnessed in Div. II, I'm sure he was referring to how they played and not a put down to Baylor. He is just not that kind of person. I hope the secondary went back to the field to pick up their shoes, socks, pants, shoulder pads, jerseys, helmets and mouth pieces that they got faked out of by Baylors QB on his game deciding fakes/runs. He did do an awesome job. I saw parents wanting to blame BA's coaches for the loss. If your kids are gonna be D1 prospects, then expect them to play that way, and not blame coaching for their lack of awareness. Period. A QB burning us, with what speed we are supposed to have???? Look in the mirror,,, BA will be fine. They can't continue to rely on their backs to do it all on offense either. Gotta find a way to put the ball in the air some, safely, like Baylor, to give the backs a chance, and they are the best backs in the division. I am sure they will pull it together. Who wins the last game of the year is what counts. See yall then.

Potter really said that? Wow. Baylor also had 18 first downs to just 7 first downs for BA. Considering the gift that the Red Raiders gave them at the end of the 2nd half.....really? Baylor D holds them to 33 yards in the 2nd half.....really? Very nice win for Baylor. Exciting homecoming for sure.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, and don't know any of the relevant parties except Floyd Elliot at BA, who was my algebra teacher more years ago than I care to remember. I do however, have some experience at talking to the newspapers. Things you say are often pulled out of context, and the meaning changes dramatically, sometimes to the extent that the quoted meaning is 180 degrees from the speaker's true meaning. Aagin, no knowledge of anything here, but I can picture the offending statement looking something like this: "Hat's off to Baylor's defense. If we pick up anything like the normal amount of yardage we get in the second half of most games, we could have won by two touchdowns. But they stopped us cold." One more time, I have no knowledge of what transpired, but I'm skeptical of newspaper quotes. As Lewis Grizzard said, "What do you expect? It only costs a quarter."

And congratulations to Baylor on what must have been a great game to watch.

Revisiting this a few hours later, Potter's comments in the Tennesseean online are very complimentary of Baylor.

Edited by KWoodroof

I didn't see the game, but from the comments I've read and the recap in the paper this morning it sounds like BA played another sloppy game (paper referenced 2 TD's called back by penalty and a roughing the punter call on the winning drive). BA clearly benefited on the other side from a special teams error so maybe things evened out, but it sounds like for the 3rd game in a row BA had too many penalties and errors to beat a good team (we beat a good BGA team after getting it together in the second half). After the Olive Branch game (which was played with almost no penalties or errors) I had hoped the team had developed some discipline. It seems to have been missing these past 3 games. When you play teams like Ensworth and Baylor (and MBA in a couple of weeks!) you have to bring your best each time or you will get beat.

Congratulations to Baylor -- sounds like the QB put on quite a show.

I did not think Baylor could beat BA considering the history of the rivalry. Congrats to Baylor.

Baylor has a great team, hats off to them. They have a great QB and he handles pressure very, very well. I wish he didn't, being a BA fan, but you have to give him credit. He is the difference maker on their team, no doubt. This is going to end up being an exciting playoff race. It's good for DII.

I didn't see the game, but from the comments I've read and the recap in the paper this morning it sounds like BA played another sloppy game (paper referenced 2 TD's called back by penalty and a roughing the punter call on the winning drive). BA clearly benefited on the other side from a special teams error so maybe things evened out, but it sounds like for the 3rd game in a row BA had too many penalties and errors to beat a good team (we beat a good BGA team after getting it together in the second half). After the Olive Branch game (which was played with almost no penalties or errors) I had hoped the team had developed some discipline. It seems to have been missing these past 3 games. When you play teams like Ensworth and Baylor (and MBA in a couple of weeks!) you have to bring your best each time or you will get beat.

Congratulations to Baylor -- sounds like the QB put on quite a show.

BA played too easy of a schedule early. Weak points in the team didn't show up. When you are flying high with confidence, you would naturally not try to fix anything. Offensive problems are now obvious, as well as a few defensive ones. This is a great coaching staff and they will get it in line for a run at the playoffs.

Coach Potter is one of the least "cocky" coaches I have witnessed in Div. II, I'm sure he was referring to how they played and not a put down to Baylor. He is just not that kind of person. I hope the secondary went back to the field to pick up their shoes, socks, pants, shoulder pads, jerseys, helmets and mouth pieces that they got faked out of by Baylors QB on his game deciding fakes/runs. He did do an awesome job. I saw parents wanting to blame BA's coaches for the loss. If your kids are gonna be D1 prospects, then expect them to play that way, and not blame coaching for their lack of awareness. Period. A QB burning us, with what speed we are supposed to have???? Look in the mirror,,, BA will be fine. They can't continue to rely on their backs to do it all on offense either. Gotta find a way to put the ball in the air some, safely, like Baylor, to give the backs a chance, and they are the best backs in the division. I am sure they will pull it together. Who wins the last game of the year is what counts. See yall then.

Huesman did play a great game....he is just an outstanding athlete. It was an awesome win the Baylor no doubt but I fully expect BA to turn it around and be ready for the playoffs. That will be exciting as there is so much talent spread around this year.

Not sure of anyone that would agree with you when you say he's one of the least cocky. He certainly is and might be the cockiest. Unfortunetly for him, his players play with no heart. He knows it too. Everybody that was at that game should have realized BA had just as many athletes if not more. It looked like they were just lifeless.

Not sure of anyone that would agree with you when you say he's one of the least cocky. He certainly is and might be the cockiest. Unfortunetly for him, his players play with no heart. He knows it too. Everybody that was at that game should have realized BA had just as many athletes if not more. It looked like they were just lifeless.

Well, I don't see it. I don't have one playing and maybe I am missing something just being a spectator. The one from Ensworth qualifies as cocky in my book, at the top of the list.

I think BA plays with heart. The defense spent a huge amout of time on the field in the Baylor game and played hard, just got burned by the QB keepers and a few passes and should not have. Baylors QB is really good, they are undefeated because of good play at his position. I am not knocking the rest of the team, but he was the difference maker and the rest of the team did their job. I can't defend BA on the penalties, no excuse for that. The backs ran hard, but Baylor figured out we were not going to throw the ball and stacked on us the second half. I will say that if we don't find a way to throw the ball, without multiple picks, like we had in the Ensworth game, we can hang up a state title or maybe any playoff wins. There has to be some issue there, if not, we would have thrown much more against Baylor. I dont know what it is, it looked good early on in the season, and I thought no one could beat us, maybe it was because we had easy teams on the schedule. That's all I can figure. The QB seemed very confident back then, but it looks like when things get tough that fades quickly. We have great coaches, and I am sure they will get things headed in the right direction. They know what we need and will get us there. It's getting a little harder, but I am staying positive. MBA is on the horizon and we better have our ducks in a row before we face them, and have every option open or it will be a long night. Thank goodness we have a bye week to prepare.

Well, I don't see it. I don't have one playing and maybe I am missing something just being a spectator. The one from Ensworth qualifies as cocky in my book, at the top of the list.

I think BA plays with heart. The defense spent a huge amout of time on the field in the Baylor game and played hard, just got burned by the QB keepers and a few passes and should not have. Baylors QB is really good, they are undefeated because of good play at his position. I am not knocking the rest of the team, but he was the difference maker and the rest of the team did their job. I can't defend BA on the penalties, no excuse for that. The backs ran hard, but Baylor figured out we were not going to throw the ball and stacked on us the second half. I will say that if we don't find a way to throw the ball, without multiple picks, like we had in the Ensworth game, we can hang up a state title or maybe any playoff wins. There has to be some issue there, if not, we would have thrown much more against Baylor. I dont know what it is, it looked good early on in the season, and I thought no one could beat us, maybe it was because we had easy teams on the schedule. That's all I can figure. The QB seemed very confident back then, but it looks like when things get tough that fades quickly. We have great coaches, and I am sure they will get things headed in the right direction. They know what we need and will get us there. It's getting a little harder, but I am staying positive. MBA is on the horizon and we better have our ducks in a row before we face them, and have every option open or it will be a long night. Thank goodness we have a bye week to prepare.

This is a great synopsis. I totally disagree with the lack of heart accusations as well.