NEED HELP!

howdoitknow

Why on the latest projections that have been released by the TSSAA is Sequatchie County not even listed as a playoff team in Class 3A? They are 2nd in their district and would be an "automatic" lock for the postseason if it were to begin today.

I can already forsee the TSSAA overlooking an "automatic" lock and keeping them out of the playoffs when the brackets are released on Halloween Weekend. Talk about a scary though :shock:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the playoffs started today the correct field would include:

AUTOMATICS

Alcoa

CAK

Camden

Bledsoe County

Fairview

Smith County

Goodpasture

Howard

Polk County

Sullivan North

Tyner

Elizabethton

York Institute

Austin-East

Martin-Westview

Sequatchie County

Lewis County

WILD CARDS

Milan

East Literature

Gatlinburg-Pittman

Chuckey-Doak

West Greene

Loudon

Kingston

Happy Valley

South Greene

Oakhaven

CPA

Pearl-Cohn

Cheatham County

Sweetwater

Stewart County

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN

Grundy County

Waverly Central

Hickman County

Harpeth

Johnson County

Pigeon Forge

The only teams that aren't on this list that can "spoil" the party by making their playoffs as "automatics" from their own districts include:

Booker T. Washington

Manassas

WHY CAN'T THE TSSAA PUT THEIR "MOCK" BRACKETS THIS WAY TO MAKE IT MUCH EASIER TO UNDERSTAND?????

Why on the latest projections that have been released by the TSSAA is Sequatchie County not even listed as a playoff team in Class 3A? They are 2nd in their district and would be an "automatic" lock for the postseason if it were to begin today.

I can already forsee the TSSAA overlooking an "automatic" lock and keeping them out of the playoffs when the brackets are released on Halloween Weekend. Talk about a scary though :shock:

For whatever reason, the TSSAA isn't putting the automatics in until the last week. Their reasoning is they can't predict who is going to be 1st or 2nd in each district and they don't want to have to continually change it (or something of that nature). Not sure that it makes sense to do it that way, but that's what they are doing.

I'm certain when the final count is tallied, they will account for the automatics. The only problem is going to be the wildcards that are on the bubble.

Got a question for all, If there are 4 quadrants, 8 teams in each quadrant, is it possible for a wild card team to be ranked higher in a quadrant than a automatic qualifier? Say a automatic had only 4 wins, and a wild card had 5 wins, who is ranked higher in the quadrant? This factor could be huge for home field advantage. (I think)...help please :popcorneater:

Got a question for all, If there are 4 quadrants, 8 teams in each quadrant, is it possible for a wild card team to be ranked higher in a quadrant than a automatic qualifier? Say a automatic had only 4 wins, and a wild card had 5 wins, who is ranked higher in the quadrant? This factor could be huge for home field advantage. (I think)...help please :popcorneater:

Automatic qualifiers are seeded first...therefore it is not possible for a wild card with a better record to be seeded ahead of an automatic qualifier.

Automatic qualifiers are seeded first...therefore it is not possible for a wild card with a better record to be seeded ahead of an automatic qualifier.

This is not an accurate statement. Once all playoff participants have been decided, either by automatic means or by wild card, the teams will be grouped by their geographic alignment and then seeded by their final rank in these standings. Therefore a wild card can and I am guessing at some point will be seeded higher than an automatic qualifier. There is also no preference given to district alignments, therfore two automatic qualifiers from the same district could be put into separate quads. This could be a huge deal for many Middle Tennessee teams, as one could go to quad 2 and the other to quad 3 and we could have two teams from the same district playing in the championship game.

Don't think that's true, Antwan. Automatic qualifiers are "selected first", but not "seeded first". Once the 32 teams is set, the NashVegas fellas draw the quads, and all 8 teams in each quad is seeded based on the 16 criteria. Everthing else is out the window. Finishin' #1 or #2 in yer district just gits ya in the 32 team playoff. It don't help yer seedin' at all.

The Troll might be wrong, but I ain't.:thumb:

Don't think that's true, Antwan. Automatic qualifiers are "selected first", but not "seeded first". Once the 32 teams is set, the NashVegas fellas draw the quads, and all 8 teams in each quad is seeded based on the 16 criteria. Everthing else is out the window. Finishin' #1 or #2 in yer district just gits ya in the 32 team playoff. It don't help yer seedin' at all.

Yep, that's the way I read it.

:excl:

The Troll might be wrong, but I ain't.:thumb:

"Once the 24 teams have been selected in the Class 1A and 2A playoffs, the teams will be geographically grouped

into four six-team quadrants. Once the 32 teams have been selected in the Class 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A playoffs, the

teams will be geographically grouped into four eight-team quadrants. This grouping will be done without regard to

district/region alignments.

Seeding for the quadrants will be based exclusively on how the teams are ranked in the standings for each

classification. No priority is given to district/region champions or runners up."

This is from the tssaa site. Dang...they've changed it again. I don't know if this is good or bad.

What if a team finishes ahead of another team in their district(1st and 2nd)...and the 2nd place team has a better record? Are they seeded ahead of the 1st place team? If so...why even have districts?