TOUGHEST FOOTBALL DIVISION IN TENNESSEE

Dale

Lets hear it. Which division is the toughest in Tennessee and why? Division II-AAA, D-1 AAAAA? D-1 AAAA? Lets get some opinions and reasoning on this. Personally, I think it's either D-1 4A or 5A. I haven't seen many 4A teams play so I can't really say 5A is better than them, and from what I've read on here, there seem to be some really good 4A teams. D-II AAA is definitely a good division, but I just think they aren't on the level with the best 4 and 5A teams (yes I've seen D-II AAA games.)

[Edited by Dale on 10-1-02 9:34P]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Dale:

Lets hear it. Which division is the toughest in Tennessee and why? Division II-AAA, D-1 AAAAA? D-1 AAAA? Lets get some opinions and reasoning on this. Personally, I think it's either D-1 4A or 5A. I haven't seen many 4A teams play so I can't really say 5A is better than them, and from what I've read on here, there seem to be some really good 4A teams. D-II AAA is definitely a good division, but I just think they aren't on the level with the best 4 and 5A teams (yes I've seen D-II AAA games.)

I noticed you didn`t mention 1A,2A, or 3A. When you ask which division is the toughest, common sense would tell you that 5A teams are overall better than 1A teams, but I would judge the toughest division by how many teams in that particular division have a legitimate chance to win the state title. The more teams in a particular division that has a chance to win the state title, make that division tougher...IMO.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by Dale:

I noticed you didn`t mention 1A,2A, or 3A. When you ask which division is the toughest, common sense would tell you that 5A teams are overall better than 1A teams, but I would judge the toughest division by how many teams in that particular division have a legitimate chance to win the state title. The more teams in a particular division that has a chance to win the state title, make that division tougher...IMO.

D-1 4A. No contest. Every time a D-1 5A team has changed to D-1 4A, the most notable example being the 2000 5A state champions Red Bank Lion, they've lost in the playoffs. Many teams that thrive in 5A or 3A --- Clinton and South-Doyle in 5A, and Anderson County and Memphis Melrose in 3A --- always had a rough time of it in 4A.

Conference 3-4A is the toughest region in the entire state, as well. As of this week, there are three teams in that region that are undefeated - 5-0 Maryville, 5-0 Powell, and 5-0 Central. Another 3-4A team, Halls, has also just beaten previously-undefeated Farragut (of 2-5A) last weekend.

To say nothing of the fact that a 3-4A team has reached the 4A state championship game for 6 consceutive years --- Halls in 1996, Maryville in 97-98, Central in 99, and then Maryville the last two years! This was all prior to 4-4A's Cleveland's 54-game winning streak and three straight state championships (that was halted by a 3-4A team, as well.)

When a 4A team gets into a playoffs, they're facing some really good heavyweights. The usual teams are: Maryville, Central, Powell, Morristown West, Greeneville, Cleveland, Hixson, Red Bank, East Ridge and Elizabethton.

In West and Middle Tennessee, I would guess Memphis East, Hillsboro, Memphis Melrose, Pearl-Cohn, Whites Creek, Shelbyville, Dyersburg, Hardin County, Trezevant are the usual suspects.

No other divison has that kind of intense competition.

[Edited by Philster043 on 10-2-02 10:38A]

Posted by Philster043:
Posted by Dale:

D-1 4A. No contest. Every time a D-1 5A team has changed to D-1 4A, the most notable example being the 2000 5A state champions Red Bank Lion, they've lost in the playoffs. Many teams that thrive in 5A or 3A --- Clinton and South-Doyle in 5A, and Anderson County and Memphis Melrose in 3A --- always had a rough time of it in 4A.

Conference 3-4A is the toughest region in the entire state, as well. As of this week, there are three teams in that region that are undefeated - 5-0 Maryville, 5-0 Powell, and 5-0 Central. Another 3-4A team, Halls, has also just beaten previously-undefeated Farragut (of 2-5A) last weekend.

To say nothing of the fact that a 3-4A team has reached the 4A state championship game for 6 consceutive years --- Halls in 1996, Maryville in 97-98, Central in 99, and then Maryville the last two years! This was all prior to 4-4A's Cleveland's 54-game winning streak and three straight state championships (that was halted by a 3-4A team, as well.)

When a 4A team gets into a playoffs, they're facing some really good heavyweights. The usual teams are: Maryville, Central, Powell, Morristown West, Greeneville, Cleveland, Hixson, Red Bank, East Ridge and Elizabethton.

In West and Middle Tennessee, I would guess Memphis East, Hillsboro, Memphis Melrose, Pearl-Cohn, Whites Creek, Shelbyville, Dyersburg, Hardin County, Trezevant are the usual suspects.

Good point other then the fact that Clinton and South Doyle are not thriving in 5A so your whole argument is sorda offset but I agree that it looks as if 4A has been stronger here of late in EAST TN but out in Middle with Riverdale and all them other schools in Nashville that are 5A are probably better then almost any 4A school other then Maryvile and Memphis Melrose. So who knows for sure.

I maybe biased but I feel the 2A classification is as tuff top to bottom as any in the state! Probably the toughest. Teams like Tyner, Goodpasture,David Lipscomb, Marion Co., Sweetwater, Alcoa(although down this year), Milan, Westview, Lewis Co., Many others I could name. To win a State Championship trophy is probably toughest to achieve in 2A because it is not top heavy there are teams up and down the list that can beat another team at any time. Just my humble opinion. :D

Philster--- Dont forget about Nashville Overton out of middle TN. They beat Shelbyville 44-00, and are 5 and 0.

Posted by Philster043:
Posted by Dale:

[Edited by Philster043 on 10-2-02 10:38A]

Overton is definitely a tough team this year. They look stronger than any of the mid-90's seasons that went pretty well. They have beaten very tough teams, and I can't wait to see the game against Hillsboro on the 25th. They might pull the upset.

Their region is pretty tough too. If I'm not mistaken, they have Tullahoma, Hillsboro, Pearl Cohn and Hillwood all in their region. All of those teams are very good, and the winner of this region is my pick to make it to the Big Dance.

Posted by bosshog1:

Philster--- Dont forget about Nashville Overton out of middle TN. They beat Shelbyville 44-00, and are 5 and 0.

Guest caligula

4A is the toughest anyone that says 2A is...is biased. 3-4A is the toughes region. 1996-2001 we have been there. 5A has a few tough teams the rest just beat up on the other crappy teams and have fans who think they are invisible. When they move down to 4A they are invisible...in the playoffs.

Posted by Dale:

You're right, I didn't mention any 1, 2, or 3A teams because personally I don't think they could compete with the 4 and 5A teams. That was my "common sense" telling me that.

Is 4A football really that good? I've never seen any decent 4A games so I can't really say much about them. Red Bank had lost a lot of people from their 2000 5A championship team, which is why they went down to 4A. Not to take anything away from Maryville, though. They absolutely beat the crap outta' Red Bank, so they've gotta' be for real. Is Maryville going to be losing a bunch of people after this season?

Well, South Doyle and Clinton did a lot better in 5A than they did in 4A, that's for sure. In 3-4A, they'd always be on the bottom of the heap. In 5A, they're playoff contenders. Same thing with Anderson County in 3A, they're really strong there, but put them in 3-4A, and except for ONE good year (in 1996, when they beat Cleveland in the quarterfinals and barely lost to Halls in the semifinals), they had a horrible time of it. Especially against Maryville.

Carter also seemed much better in 3A the few years they were there, before they returned to 4A. I think that was a bad move on their part, probably thought they could compete but nope. Melrose used to be a powerhouse over in Memphis in 3A, but you don't see them going to any more state championships in 4A. And of course, there's Red Bank. I'm absolutely convinced that if they had been in 4A in 2000, they would not have won all their games. I'm not sure about Riverdale, but Red Bank did beat them.

And thanks for adding Nashville Overton. Sorry about forgetting that one! Tullahoma, too. :rolleyes: